PoN and custom leather book bindings (a reality)

• 51 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 01:48:03 pm »
I'd almost consider the opposite, depending on how TUC ends. TDTCB, white for pure and ignorant, TUC, black for disillusionment and chaos.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 04:48:17 pm »
No, no, no!

The Darkness must be dark, the AE must be white!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 04:49:29 pm »
Only if kellhus is the winner and/or correct. Otherwise, the story is about his descent into darkness, and his corruption of the world, and in turn the world's failure to stop him.

I'd make a yang set for your yin.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 06:42:05 pm »
Hehe I like it Wilshire. Of course you would come from the point of view Kellhus is deluded and/or self serving. I on the other hand am not a dirty blasphemer like you and know that his Holy is going to die for Men.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 07:25:37 pm »
I am firmly a kellian-agnostic. I simply am suggesting that you may be wrong, but certainly not declaring it so one way or the other.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 09:18:18 pm »
What is a suggestion if not an expressed intent? Or at least the idea that the expressed intent could be?
Blasphemer still!

I do however love your idea of using Sheyic and Kuinuric.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 09:31:24 pm »
I do however love your idea of using Sheyic and Kuinuric.

I feel like anything else along the spine would ruin the whole thing, but such text does not exist.

As a last resort I might just take a row from each cover and make it the spine, but I'd consider this a failure.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 02:42:55 pm »
http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=61327

I was recommended this forum, so I signed up and made a post. If something comes of it, I'll let you know.

It seems Talas is again highly recommended. I will probably take another look at their site and see if I find something that catches my eye.

Much information has been exchanged via PM, so that link might not provide much of use
Ah, some active members. How nice. I might post the PMs later, to archive the information here just in case.
--------------
Harmatan Leather seems to have some very high quality goatskin leather. I think I'm going to have to get the good stuff for this project, or I'll probably just be disappointed with the results....

I am considering buy some cheap and relatively low cost leather or some kind and do a practice run on someone less precious. Maybe Dune or Hyperion or something, so if I mess it up I won't be out much, but if it turns out alright it will still be worth having.

------------
I was encouraged at home to purchase the leather. I decided I'd not worry too much about the cost of the leather, so I got some very nice dark grey leather. Also decided that since I have 3 HC TDTCB that I am willing to bind, that I'll pick the middle quality one and go with it.
It is officially being processed, and I should have it in about a week.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:01:03 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 03:55:23 pm »
An update worth making a new post about I think.

I talked to the binder, found out that there are some issues with TDTCB 2nd printings that makes them perhaps less than ideal to bind, so I will be binding my 1st edition 1st printing. This will probably happen in a month or two.

On that note, if anyone is interested, I've got 3 copies of TDTCB 1st edition 2nd printing laying around that I'd like to sell. Check out this thread if you are interested. The flaws shown are printing errors, common to pretty much all the Overlook printings... But hey the cover is nice and the books are in great condition otherwise, probably unread.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 03:29:16 pm »
You going to change the thread title to "(a reality)" when it finally happens ;)?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 04:51:24 pm »
I'll make a new thread :P

Condense the information, post pictures, etc.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 01:35:39 pm »
You can write a great Quora-post. Also, holy shit, you should go sign up for Quora and ask your questions there. Perhaps, you'll luck out and receive a great Quora-post.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:32 pm »
The binding of TDTCB will being on March 7th 2015.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:22:15 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 02:05:31 pm »
Does this count as the first step? Its the first thing I've actually done...

So the binding will take a bit longer than I initially exacted, probably some 10 hours of work, which means I'll probably end up spending about the same amount of money binding it this way than I would have if I just bought the thing. Oh well, part of the fun.

I took my 1st/1st TDTCB to the bindery, cut off the cover, removed end pages, made and lined new boards, removed all the old (and surprise surprise, sub-par quality) adhesive, re-glued the spine using much higher quality PVA (poly-vinyl  acetate), and added some black and white headbands to the spine (the bit of cloth usually at the top and bottom of most hardcover books).

This work took about 3.5 hours, and basically required a knife and some 2 different types of glue. The boards and spine were left to dry over night.

Next time I'll be meeting with a fellow refereed to only as "Tex" (he's from Texas...), who is apparently some kind of embossing/foil-stamping wizard, who will help guide down the correct path to take for making the foil dies for the front and back cover.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:22:31 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 01:49:40 pm »
Did not meed with the illusive "Tex" person but we did still have a long discussion on what to do about the design.

Unfortunately, the Rankine art is too complex to stamp by hand and have a good chance at success. It could potentially take many, many tries, and with each stamp you lose the leather (which you already bound to the book) and have to start over. What is typically done for something this complex is  a very large machine is set up that both embosses and stamps the cover, and its set up once to stamp several thousand books.

So, the alternative is to create a label. Basically I'm going to stamp the design into a seprate pice of leather until it looks right, cut that out, and adhere it to the book in a space I've left for it. I will do this for the cover (rankine's art) and the back (Akka's map). I haven't yet decided what color to do the label leather in, since it won't be exactly the same I figure I'll make it a different color altogether so as to avoid it just looking like a mistake. Potential options from Talas

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? I was thinking just going with black. Recall that the main binding is going to be done with Charcoal #905.

For the second sessions, which didnt take quite as long. First we built up the spine a bit more (more glue, binding cloth, even more glue, something called a 'hollow tube' which amounted to paper folded over itself various times). I interspersed sanding down the edges of the new boards while waiting for glue to dry (this is going to take a long time. Homework). And finally we cut out the end pages and glued them to a hinge made of some odd cloth-like material (this will make the book open more nicely than it otherwise would.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:56:38 pm by Wilshire »