First Editions of the Second Apocalypse Books

• 16 Replies

nicolas.secondapocalypse

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:33:38 pm »
Hi everyone

I have been reading the Second Apocalypse books for quite a while now (probably some of the only books I've read more than once), and now I'm looking to buy the original (first edition) hard cover versions of the books to showcase and remind me of their brilliance every time I pass them.

Problem is, I can't get any straight answer from browsing through abebooks.com. So my question is, if anyone here knows the actual true first editions.

Here are some problems I'm dealing with:

- I'm pretty sure that the first editions are Canadian, but the information on them is very sparse (sometimes no hard cover in existance, etc.). Usually you get the American edition marked as the first edition. So that's confusing.

- With some books, you also have a unedited version of the original transcript for sale (they look pretty legit). I'm wondering what the big differences are (if any), and if that is considered a true first edition.

Anybody who can help me out? I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:54:31 pm »
When Wilshire sees this thread he'll be able to pass along some good information for you.

In the meantime, welcome to the Second Apocalypse, nicolas.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:49:34 am »
Awesome, an excuse to talk about the books I have aquired :D.

This is indeed the correct place for that information. Welcome Nicolas.SecondApocalypse, to the TSA forum.

Once I have a bit of time, hopefully tomorrow evening, I will post some photos of my collection so you can see whats out there and what your options are.

Just so you know, what you're looking for are Hardcover, First Edition, First Printings (aka Hardcover, First/First).
TDTCB might be the hardest to get, and most expensive. Not many unmarred copies of that one laying around.... Or at least not for the price I wanted to pay.

One thing that you will encounter is the softcover "uncorrected proof" (you mention this above). I wasn't sure what to make of this either. Both have number lines that include the "1", which is indicative of a first printing, and the cover is the first edition. All my books are USA with "first edition" printed on the inside. I'm not really sure how 'authentic' my versions are, but for all the looking I did, it was the best I could do and I'm happy with my purchases.
I have not read the uncorrected proofs at this point, but the page count is the same, so there is little chance that there is any additional information/words within the pages. If you're looking for something like that, you'd need to find something much more rare, like an unpublished copy of some kind, bound on computer paper :P, and I doubt anyone but Bakker himself has those still.

I've have the first/first hardcovers of all 3 of the PoN books as well as the three softcover "Uncorrected Proofs" of PoN. I have an ARC of WLW, and ran out of money before I could find/purchase the ARC of TJE.

TJE and WLW should be easier to find in first editions since they are recent, and might not even be in their second printing. At least for those two, I am pretty sure the Canadian and USA version where released simultaneously so it shouldn't matter (either is equally "authentic"). The covers might be different, but again its personal preference. I'll be looking into getting proper copies of the Canadian hardbacks from AE once I get some more cash.

If you are looking for great display sets, go with the hardcovers. The original covers, drawn by David Rankine, are by far the best of the series, and the hardcovers are just sturdier.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:53:46 pm »
Welcome Nicolas!  Of course the first editions must be shrouded in mystery!  Bakker is the type to play some kind of long game making dedicated researchers comb volumes for the tiniest clues.

nicolas.secondapocalypse

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 09:07:11 pm »
I was thinking of getting the Rankine versions. But I am kind of a neurotic. So if I find out that there is another first edition (for instance USA vs CAN releases), I'll go out and replace the one(s) I have. I'd like to avoid this :) the proofs and the ARCs are in a league of their own in my opinion.

So I am thinking Rankine first/first CAN edition. Anyone disagree? If not, any additional information to track them down would be appreciated.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. And I agree, Bakker is mysterious even when it comes to the releases.

And finally Wilshire, you do know how to make a man jealous of your book collection! That was quite a lot of info!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 08:08:59 pm »
There are so very few people who would care that I had to take the opportunity to do it. If you do find/acquire the first/first CAN editions, be sure to come back here and post it (and pictures). You'll than have your chance to make me jelous.

Btw, I made the mistake of getting what I thought was a first printing of TDTCB but the number line was missing "1", though it did say "first edition" directly above it. I had to go and buy another one to replace it, so I know how you feel about being neurotic. Honestly, I forgot about the canadian editions, so I'll have to find those some day as well. Only way to be sure I've got the "real" first edition is to own all of them I guess :P.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 06:19:09 pm »
If you want hardcover, you have to go with the Overlook version though. The canadian version was "only" in Tradepaperback, iirc. At least for the PoN. Not sure how it went down with the AE.

Oh and first edition is in relation to one publisher. So Overlook is perfectly within its rights to print "first edition" in their first book...even if the canadian books came before theirs (although i am not sure that this is even the case...maybe they published simultaniously).
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

nicolas.secondapocalypse

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 08:34:46 pm »
Wilshire,

Would you be willing to post pictures from your Hardback covers (all 5 books), Overlook Editions, both Front and information Page so I can compare it with the things I find online. It's more difficult than I expected, especially not completely destroyed editions ... :-/

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 01:37:35 am »
Well, your options are low quality kb size pics loaded onto the forum here, or you can PM me an email address and I can send you MB size files. Your choice.

Sorry in advance for all the posts. Max is 4 attachments  per post.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:01:20 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 02:25:57 am »
First 2 are TDTCB, Hardcover, USA, Overlook, First Edition

Next 2 TWP, Hardcover, USA, Overlook, First Edition

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 02:30:25 am »
First 2 TTT, USA, Overlook, First Edition

Next 2, TJE, USA, Overlook, First Edition

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 02:35:53 am »
First 2 WLW, USA, Hardcover, Overlook, First Edition

Next 2, signed title pages of WLW and TJE :D

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 02:38:51 am »
TDTCB Unproofed

TWP Unproofed

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 02:41:04 am »
TTT Unproofed

WLW ARC

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 03:29:37 am »
These two are the "not" first edition TDTCB that I purchased and decided they weren't good enough. The number line is missing the "1" though "First Edition" is printed on it. How frustrating.
I'll upload those when they come through.

Hope that helped.

If you find an ARC or Unproofed of TJE, let me know. Its missing from my collection.

EDIT:
Photos added.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:25:17 pm by Wilshire »