Book deals and purchases

• 149 Replies

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:20:39 pm »
Just thought I would start a general thread for Book Deals and Purchases. Interested to know what people are buying and any special deals in stores or any electrical retailer they find. I am UK based but please post wherever you are - please even reccomend the bookstore down the road.

---Purchases---

Ok so today I went trawling through the Works Store, the local market bookstalls and charity shops which I do every 2-4 weeks. I bought the following:

Ursula K Le Guin: The Left Hand of Darkness - Bought this as I have seen it recced. Nice to get in a charity shop.
Edgar Rice Burroughs: The Martian Tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs 1: A Princess of Mars - Bought this for kicks after watching the John Carter movie.
Roger Zelazni: Nine Princes in Amber - Lovely to get the first book in a series at a charity shop.
Brian Aldiss: Moreau's Other Island - Bought Helliconia Spring so may as well get more by the same author and keep my eye out for other Helliconia Cycle novels.
Stephen Donaldson: Daughters of Regals and other tales - I like Donaldson so dont mind a few shorts and what will probably be a novella.
Philip Pullman: The Goldan Compass - Have the other two and my copy was borrowed out never returned.
Paul Hoffman: The Left Hand of God - Nice cover art and a good blurb.
Maurice Druon: The Iron King Praised by Martin.
R. Scott Bakker: The Darknes that Comes Before Bought it to lend to someone else so they can get into TSA. Then they can return it as my other TDTCB was loaned out.

I saw quite a few others that I will be buying the next time I go for a trawl assuming they are still there. There was an R.A. Slavatore Forgotten Realms - a huge fat hardback compendium of the Drizzt ones in really great condition, there were another 4-5 from the charity stores. The wife is such a pain... god love her, if I was on my own I would have bought at least 8 more.

Anyway all of these came in at under £10: some in great condition and others ok, just old and slightly yellowed over time - perfectly readable though.

---Deals---

So the deals which I didn't partake in but will in the next few weeks - from the Works Store in the UK you can get:
David Gemmell Waylander with a new cover art (all of the set together look nice shelved with this cover art - its a white one if anyone is interested ill search and link). £1.99
Dan Simmons: Hyperion with SFClassics cover art (crappy looking) but still a great book and if you have it already its good as a loaner. £1.99
Terry Brooks: The Dark Legacy of Shannara 2: Bloodfire Quest. (They were selling the first one last year). £1.99
They have a deal on 3 for £5 which is a cracking deal, includes the above and a lot more if you are into other things.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:56:41 am by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:49:57 pm »
Ok so bought some more books. As usual trawled some charity stores and the local market booksellers who have a hit list of authors for me and some new things had popped up. :)

Far Horizons Edited by Robert Silverberg. Stories from: Ursula K. Le. Guin, Joe Halderman, Orson Scott Card, David Brin, Robert Silverberg, Dan Simmons, Nancy Kress, Frederik Pohl, Gregory Benford, Anne McCaffrey and Greg Bear. - Looks like a decent collection of authors most I have read so hopefully some good shorts.
Roger Zelazny: Trumps of Doom - Another in the Amber series.
Philip Pullman: His Dark Materials#1: The Amber Spyglass and His Dark Materials#2: The Subtle Knife  - Both the same covers as the book in the previous post so I have matching books now.
H.G.Wells: War of the Worlds - Couldn't resist as I have never read this.
Bernard Cornwell: Saxon Tales#6: Death of Kings - I have some of this series but all different covers and incomplete.
David Gemmell: Stones of Power#1: Ghost King and Stones of Power#2: Last Sword of Power - Both old matching covers so a no brainer.
Maggie Furey: The Shadowleague#1: The Heart of Myrial and The Shadowleague#2: Spirit of the Stone - I read the Artifacts of Power series when I was a lot younger by the same author and also Heritage of the Xandim and enjoyed both so I will give these a try. All set in the same verse.
Hugh Howey: Wool - Seen some good reviews of this and a sucker for post apoc settings.

All of these came in at under £11 so very happy that I hardly spent anything and got a fairly good addition to my collection.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:21:41 am by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:57:56 pm »
Nice little haul today.

T. H. White: Sword in the Stone - Nice addition to the childrens section, quite an old book. This is the first in the tetralogy which became the Once and Future King. This copy may end up being supplanted by the complete tetralogy.
Stephen King: The Dark Tower #1: The Gunslinger - I don't have much Stephen King so nice to get the first in a series. I'll pick up some standalones as well hopefully this year to add.
Leonord Nimoy: I am Spock and William Shatner with Chris Keski: Star Trek Memories - I have enjoyed a couple of documentaries involving Nimoy and Shatner and have enjoyed both of their commentaries so thought these might be a nice read.

Under £2 for all because the two Trek hardbacks were 30p each and in mint condition, absolute bargain.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:21:50 am by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:09 am »
Ok so had a quick run out to a local car boot. Not a great selection today, think the overcast skies stopped some of the booters. I am also going to add on the conditions of the second hand books I buy. Nice to keep a record.

Terry Brooks: Tanequil - Had this lent it out. A replacement. Brand new condition.
Terry Brooks: High Druids of Shannara #1: Jarka Ruins - One of the few Terry Brooks I don't have. Brand new condition.
Stephen King: The Dark Tower #4: Wizard and Glass - Have book 1 so filling in the series. Decent condition.
Wilbur Smith: The Power of the Sword - Generally like Wilbur Smith and never read this one. Decent condition.
Kate Elliot: Crossroads #1: Spirit Gate - Have read the first two in this already but borrowed out my book one so a replacement. Already read this upto book 2 I think - not a big fan even if it is fairly well regarded by some. Good condition.
Andrzei Sapkowski: The Last Wish - This is a Polish author with english translation. Thought to try a fantasy translation as never done it before. Brand new condition.

2 of the books were 10p and the other four were 25. So £1.20 in total. Great bargains.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:41:09 pm by SilentRoamer »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:32:09 pm »
So many books for almost nothing. It appears that I need to find better book dealers.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:59:36 pm »
There is another big Half-Price Books (HPB) warehouse sale, this time in Cincinnati. Going to hit it up. Drop off a ton of bookmarks, and hopefully get some good books

Every book is going to be $2 or less

I'm going to need to compile a list of authors/titles to look for. Though its hard to find much since they aren't sorted except for genre, and Sci-Fi/Fantasy are always thrown together. To make matters worse, mass-market paperbacks are not sorted in any way .

I already attended an event like this earlier this year for HPB and it was well worth it. If anyone is in the US, you should check their calendar and see if they are having anything in your area (they have a store in Phoenix...). They appear to be annual events, but they only release a "store events" list for the current month, so you'll have to check it somewhat often.

I plan to post my purchases for this sale and the last after this weekend.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:01:17 pm by Wilshire »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:32:52 pm »
Nice little haul over the weekend:

Stephen King: The Dark Tower #7: The Dark Tower
- Been seeing these around and fairly hopeful I can build the set without buying new. 1, 4 and 7 so far. Big Hardback. Good condition.
Peter F Hamilton: Fallen Dragon - Nice standalone I have read but lent out my copy. Big Hardback. Good condition.
Peter F Hamilton: Nights Dawn #3: The Naked God - I don't have any of the Nights Dawn trilogy now - not sure what happened to them so buying them again. Big Hardback. Good condition.
Stephen Deas: The Adamantine Palace - Seen this in Waterstones and WHSmiths so thought I would buy it at a bargain price. Positive blurb from Abercrombie on the front. Small Hardback. Good condition.
J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter #6: The Half Blood Prince - Last Harry Potter I needed to complete my collection again after lending them all out a few years ago. Not great condition as the edgeing is coming away from the binding - nothing a bit of book glue won't resolve though.
David Gemmell: Waylander #3: The Hero in Shadows - A book cover I don't have (new updated cover that are mostly available now - Bantam Press 2000). Great condition.
David Gemmell: Stones of power #2: The Last Sword of Power - A book cover I don't have (old outdated cover I don't see often - Century Hutchinson Limited 1989). Great condition.

All of the books were 50p with the exception of HP which was 10p so the grand total is £3.10. Nice bargains as usual.

Should have some good purchases coming in towards the end of the month as I am visiting a few of the more out of the way sellers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:34:55 pm by SilentRoamer »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:34 pm »
Alas, they nearly ran out of SF/F books before I got there. It was a three day event and I got there midway through day 2 :/.

Only ended up with:
Geoffrey A Landis - Mars Crossing - Very Good dust jacket over Very Good hardcover, very minor imperfections on both. First edition, though since it was $2 I'm sure its not difficult to find. Picked it up because its a Hugo/Nebula award winner.

Terry Brooks - The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Ilse Witch -  Near Fine dj/cover, slight tear on cover, extremely minor shelf wear. First edition. Grabbed this one because I couldn't find The Sword of Shannara and I didn't want to leave with just one book. Besides, it has an incredible cover on both dj and hardcover, so I couldn't resist. $2.

Not really sure how SR gets books for just a few cents a piece, I'll have to try harder. (USD ($) is only 1.3x GPB (£))
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:47:45 pm by Wilshire »

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 12:20:19 am »
I think this thread is a support group for tsundoku - つんどく - Book Hoarder

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-book-hoarding-tsundoku-20140724-story.html

:)

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 11:06:24 am »
I think this thread is a support group for tsundoku - つんどく - Book Hoarder

Lol. Those Japanese folks also have a word for literally working yourself to death(do not remember it though). You die in your office so to speak.

Americans use "drive by shooting" as a supposedly different way of killing someone, which is also kind of funny.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:19:26 pm »
Hmmm, yeah I think SR has tsundoku, and he is sucking me into his delusions.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 05:33:05 pm »
As long as I have the shelf space I will continue to buy books. When I run out of space completely I'll move to a bigger house.   ;D

I have the Isle Witch Wilshire, which cover version do you have? http://www.hour25online.com/Hour25_Ilse_Witch_Covers.html top or bottom?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 06:48:29 pm »
Top one. DJ is semi-transparent so you can see the artwork that is printed on the hardcover. Are you sure that doesn't just show the front/back of the same book? The bottom art looks familiar, guess I'll check when I get home to be sure.

I really like how they did it. Whoever came up with that deserves what he's getting for commission.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:04:46 am »
Nah they're different covers Wilshire, both are the front cover with no back cover shown - I have seen both versions side by side at  abook store and bought the cooler one.

I have the top one as well, my DJ isn't transparent but has a cool S for Shannara on the spine. Yeah its a great looking book.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 01:21:53 am »
Nah they're different covers Wilshire, both are the front cover with no back cover shown - I have seen both versions side by side at  abook store and bought the cooler one.

Just checked, and its the same book. Front cover is the top photo, back cover is the bottom cover.