Everything We Know (from scientific publications) is Wrong?

• 18 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »
Not all science is created equal

With over 15 million publishing scientists nowadays and millions of papers published every year, meta-research is a data-rich, fertile discipline. It also offers plenty of opportunities to conduct experiments, such as randomised studies where new research practices can be compared head-to-head against established ones in controlled settings.

The Meta-Research Innovation Center at Stanford (Metrics), launched in April 2014 with generous support by the Laura and John Arnold Foundation, aims to perform such rigorous empirical research on research to identify, probe and validate best practices.

We are also eager to identify the best way to disseminate these practices across diverse scientific disciplines. This will require contributions from and collaborations with the global scientific community and stakeholders who want to promote the best possible science. Metrics aims to become a facilitating hub for such activities and to create an international web of investigators and methodologists who can stand up for good science.

Science is the best conception of the human mind and there is nothing in the physical world that cannot or should not be subjected to the scientific method. This includes the tools and practices of science itself. I invite investigators to consider this prospect and share in the Metrics initiative.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 12:22:32 pm »

I mean it literally though. I have no view or opinion which I can say is "mine". All my views are borrowed, always has been and always will be. I think that is the case for everyone. Unless you invent a new language, this must be the case:)

I decidedly disagree. Just because some of us have similar or even the same views/opinions, does not mean you have to borrow/copy them from someone. You can come up with an opinion/view all on your own. And "this opinion is not new" is not the same as "you copied the opinion from someone else". You have a logical fallacy here, Royce.
From "this already exists out there" does not follow "if someone uses this, he must have copied/borrowed it".
For example: calculus was more or less developed by two mathematicians simultaneously (Leibniz and Newton). Which proves that ideas/views are not singular.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »
@Kellais

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. Probably my fault though:)

I will give it another go. I agree that you can come up with a "new" idea. There is indeed a difference between a direct copy of an idea and a creative use of concepts and language which undoubtedly will seem "new".

My point here is only that we are born into a world of pre- existing ideas/views etc, and through learning language we get to understand these pre-existing ideas/views. We can twist and turn as much as we like with semantics, but it all boils down to learning. We learn, which means we take someone elses wisdom and twist and turn a bit, and in the end make it ours.

As a consequence of this I see it as improbable that there is any room for "my" idea. We all borrow from each other by sharing the same language. "Me" is just the sum total of all the input that has been coming my way through different mediums, forming my persona.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »
I think i see what you are getting at. And you are right, that we are shaped by our culture and the learning we receive/do. I still hold that even out of this, you can bring forth something new...at least as far as something like widsom/knowledge goes *. If you as a person can count as something "new" (and/or your views as a whole) ... i guess that's a very philosophical question. I cite the "you are more than the summ of your parts" quote and be done with it... i guess it shows in what direction i lean ** ;)

I think you also underestimate the value of "twist and turn" in that context? A lot of new stuff came out of starting by twisting and turning old stuff and then, suddenly, discover something totally differen/new.

*if that were not the case, science would be forever stuck in a circle where we discover nothing new...and that is demonstrably not the case.
** so from that angle, there IS room for "your" idea. Because it is very much probable that the exact "composition" of what makes your view/idea/etc. is unique and has never been here before.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire