• 154 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2014, 03:06:29 pm »
I had to set him straight :P. Hopefully the comment shows up eventually.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2014, 06:15:38 pm »
I had to set him straight :P. Hopefully the comment shows up eventually.

Why am i not surprised, Wilshire?! :P
And it has shown up now.

You were pretty nice to him ;) I would have pointed out that in highschool he surely didn't know shit...  :o ;D
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2014, 06:22:14 pm »
I would have done it earlier but I misread the comment. I though he was saying that it would be better if he went back.

Besides, I'm always nice ;).

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2015, 01:24:10 pm »
I had an idea to print a large double fold out of this map and include it my TDTCB that I might rebind eventually.

I think it would end up being about 16'' tall and about 10'' wide, folded in half twice so that it fits within the book.

Thoughts anyone?
I think an 8x10 might make this map too small to read, but I could be wrong.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2015, 03:01:51 pm »
Someone on the PON wiki set up the map with the ability to add pins.

http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Maps
No whistling on the slog!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2015, 03:17:37 pm »
That is pretty cool :D, though all the pins weren't working on my computer. Still a fun idea though.

Somna, do you think you'll be completing the addition of the trees, or has that been abandoned? I wouldn't want to print a map for my office that will be outdated at some point ;). I'm sure adding trees is less entertaining than making all that art you been putting out daily, so I'd understand if that was on the back burner for a while.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2015, 03:40:26 pm »
Right, definitely not abandoned, just back-burnered for a while.  Here's a link to the work in progress.  Basically, just have the West/Northwest to complete.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Earwa-4109-composite-72-510561209
No whistling on the slog!

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2015, 04:09:47 pm »
That is pretty cool :D, though all the pins weren't working on my computer. Still a fun idea though.

I started that map yesterday for the most part to try wikia’s maps feature. The pins are working, but I only added one pin next to Ishuäl [you can add them by clicking on the icon in the bottom-right corner]. I hope others will contribute going forward.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »
Oh cool I see. I thought all the listed names where pins that were placed. Thanks for the upload.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2015, 04:34:07 pm »
The ones on the left are categories, you can classify individual pins under each one. My intention was to create a brief timeline for each of the main characters and for the progress of the Holy War. It doesn’t seem like the entries can be arranged by date, but it can still be done.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2015, 04:53:38 pm »
Right, definitely not abandoned, just back-burnered for a while.  Here's a link to the work in progress.  Basically, just have the West/Northwest to complete.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Earwa-4109-composite-72-510561209

Hmm you know, honestly I think I might prefer it without the trees.It seems to add a lot of clutter and im not a huge fan of how the trees look around the words

The ones on the left are categories, you can classify individual pins under each one. My intention was to create a brief timeline for each of the main characters and for the progress of the Holy War. It doesn’t seem like the entries can be arranged by date, but it can still be done.
That would be really cool.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2015, 06:59:05 pm »
WHAT?! Go away, Wilshire :P Trees for the win! It looks awesome. If i can hope for something, it is a higher resolution of the current map, so that one can zoom in more.

In all seriousness - it just looks flat with no trees. And then there is the inconsistency of style and persepctive if you do 3d mountains and the rest of the terrain is more like satellite style. So a strong vote for "keep the trees". Or if not, loose the mountains as well and do them in a satelitte style as well. No mix-and-matching! (at least imo and ymmv, of course)
I'm trapped in Darkness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2015, 07:27:05 pm »
WHAT?! Go away, Wilshire :P
If only it was that easy to get rid of me ;). Alas, I will do no such thing.

it just looks flat with no trees.
Kind of agree, which might have been why I suggested it originally. Cant remember. but...

And then there is the inconsistency of style and persepctive if you do 3d mountains and the rest of the terrain is more like satellite style. So a strong vote for "keep the trees". Or if not, loose the mountains as well and do them in a satelitte style as well. No mix-and-matching!

... I think the mountains break up the flatness nicely :). Mix-and-match all the things! Besides, small things like grass/rivers/small-trees/foilage would appear flat from a satellite/plane, but bigger trees and certainly mountains still stick out. Do some zooming in on google maps, there is usualy a perspective shift that I assume comes from the differences of the satellite image (nearly directly overhead) to a plane/drone (angled view), but you can still see buildings and such with some height.

The trees have the feeling, to me, of being "stuck on" after the rest, especially where they are missing around the words. Might be less of this affect if the words are lain over top the trees (though with the current font color and tree color, this would not look good).

(at least imo and ymmv, of course)
Amicable as always.
I kind of feel like a jackass critiquing the work, so feel free to ignore me :).

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2015, 07:47:46 pm »
As someone with a geography degree i think i am a bit picky about maps ;D

And i was talking about mapping-styles...so your comment about the mountains was not the direction i was heading (i'm too lazy to go into detail...at least right now ;D ... just one thing...mountains also "look flat" in satellite-view ;) ) ... but to be honest, in the end it does not matter what we (you and me) want/think, Somna is the one who decides anyway. I for one love the trees and it is, for me, also about consistency.
I'm trapped in Darkness

Garet Jax

« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2015, 12:31:08 pm »
Love the addition of the trees Somnambulist. 

Composite 72 huh?