Canadian publisher dumping TSA?

• 11 Replies

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« on: October 10, 2014, 11:15:40 am »
So i heard on the internet, that Penguin will no longer publish Bakker?! They will sell Overlook Press books in canada for the upcoming TUC.

Wow?!

There's even some speculation going around, that Scott will most probably not write the third sequence at all.

Does anyone know more about that?

I really hope that at least the last part is bogus. But if the first part is true (about Penguin dumping Scott), that's also sad "news" (no idea if i am just "late to the party" or if that is still news).

I thought you guys might find this interesting (and aggravating).
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »
TSTSNBN, or the third sequence as you said above, to me as always existed as a possibility but not a sure-thing. Meaning that while in concept it exists, Bakker hasn't been 100% sure he would ever get to writing it.

I think 2015/16 will be a big couple years for Bakker, and will probably be a decisive indicator of what he does or doesn't write. With the release of TGO/TUC, possibly as two book, he concludes his original vision. This publication in Grimdark for The Knife of Many Hands also looks like another stab at success. If there is every going to be a sequel to Disciple of the Dog, or an expanded Earwa glossary/encyclopedia, it will be in the next two years. Make or break for Bakker. If he does well and can support himself and his family with the revenues that those publications generate, then I'm sure we'll see him write TSTSNBN and other books. If the next two years are just more of the same, then its not likely he'll be able to continue writing, at least not full time. We might still get more from TSA or other novels, but I'd guess that something as grand as TSA won't ever be finished if its relegated to part-time status.

As for who published what, I'm not overly concerned. Its not like Penguin has been doing great things for him anyway.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:00:04 pm »
Come on man. How are you gonna say you heard on the Internet and not post a link?

Not that I don't believe it. Hopefully the new short stories and the blog post putting questions in the context of the series is a good start.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:37:17 pm »
When people on here reference the internet without linking it usually means Westeros.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 03:31:47 pm »
I've check Penguin Canada's website on and off this year.  There seem to be some changes in the last few months perhaps reflecting the Penguin/Random House merger.  Do not know if this is relevant to Bakker.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 11:24:05 am »
TSTSNBN, or the third sequence as you said above, to me as always existed as a possibility but not a sure-thing. Meaning that while in concept it exists, Bakker hasn't been 100% sure he would ever get to writing it.

I have a distinctly different memory of that. For me, it always seemed clear that this is happening. He talked about those 3 series in no uncertain terms. Now, granted, there is always life that can happen...and maybe it will happen here. But it would make me really sad. There can never be enough TSA.
I only hope (and maybe Madness can answer that question) that if we only ever get the end of TAE, that it still makes a good and satisfying end/conclusion to TSA for us, the readers. Because if not, i will send all my books back to Scott and will ask for a refund! :P

@ Bolivar - sorry for not providing a link in the first place but i was in a hurry when i posted and now i can't seem to find it anymore. Although i am pretty sure that it was indeed on Westeros where i read it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:25:48 am by Kellais »
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 12:36:10 pm »
I only hope (and maybe Madness can answer that question) that if we only ever get the end of TAE, that it still makes a good and satisfying end/conclusion to TSA for us, the readers. Because if not, i will send all my books back to Scott and will ask for a refund! :P

He already said that it won't be a satisfying conclusion to the whole series. However, I do think that we will eventually get TSTSNBN.

kellykellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 03:19:28 am »
When people on here reference the internet without linking it usually means Westeros.

Crackpots will no longer be satisfied by & limited to just the text of the books and setting of Earwa, now predictions of doom must be held for the series' real-life success & quality, and those of damnation are reserved for Bakker himself.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 08:12:05 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:49:35 pm »
http://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/the-posthuman-frame/#comment-37927

Penguin dropped me (opting to distribute Overlook’s edition instead) before WLW came out, so that’s very old news – older than the blog, in fact! All I’ve said is that I can die happily, with AE complete, since it finishes the story arc I’ve been sitting on since a punk. Writing the last series depends on how whether anyone gives me money to buy food while I write the last series. If no one does, which is always possible in the biz, then I’ll have to get a straight-job, and it’ll just take that much longer for it to come out. I’m actually in a quite enviable position, self-publishing-wise.

So tell them that if they want to be right in the short term, keep scaring people away from the series! ;) Otherwise, I never stop writing. It’s just something I always do. I… can’t… seem… to… stop… writing…

I was referring to AE, in that comment, btw. If it doesn’t convince people that something quite different is going on, nothing will.

That said, I really don’t blame people for losing faith. But I haven’t, and since I live nearest the monster, I know exactly how alive it is.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 05:58:01 pm »
Ah, good words. Thanks for the update.

I particularly liked the phrasing of the post he was responding to though. Pretty funny stuff.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 04:12:51 pm »
http://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/the-posthuman-frame/#comment-37927

Penguin dropped me (opting to distribute Overlook’s edition instead) before WLW came out, so that’s very old news – older than the blog, in fact! All I’ve said is that I can die happily, with AE complete, since it finishes the story arc I’ve been sitting on since a punk. Writing the last series depends on how whether anyone gives me money to buy food while I write the last series. If no one does, which is always possible in the biz, then I’ll have to get a straight-job, and it’ll just take that much longer for it to come out. I’m actually in a quite enviable position, self-publishing-wise.

So tell them that if they want to be right in the short term, keep scaring people away from the series! ;) Otherwise, I never stop writing. It’s just something I always do. I… can’t… seem… to… stop… writing…

I was referring to AE, in that comment, btw. If it doesn’t convince people that something quite different is going on, nothing will.

That said, I really don’t blame people for losing faith. But I haven’t, and since I live nearest the monster, I know exactly how alive it is.

Stay strong!  I actually have 2 copies of Prince of Nothing because Ive reread the first one so many times.  Eventually Ill have to buy more copies of all the others.  That should cover at least one box of cereal lol