Hello there!

• 5 Replies

The Wandering Sea Knight

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:38:09 pm »
Greetings to all! I am called the Wandering Sea Knight. My journey has had me learn of a book by someone we all know, and in turn it has led me here, to the Second Apocalypse forum.

While I could delve into what the Wandering Sea Knight is, it would be much simply to say that I am a young college student of the ‘have little idea of what major to pursue and less even of what professional ambitions to have’ variety. I will borrow a phrase a certain hobbit (not a Tolkien character, just a short friend of mine) likes to use when describing me, in that I’m an aspiring polymath. To that end, I have a mild addiction to complexity and a near-compulsive need to holistically understand things.

I spend most of my time seeking Deus Ex Machina, if I’m not wandering throughout the dream, speculating on the nature of awakening.

Being a voracious reader, I’ve (somewhat obviously, I’d say) devoured Tolkien, with having read everything from the Hobbit to the History of Middle-earth. I’m an avid fan of Dune as well, fittingly. A personal favorite author of mine that I would recommend to anyone is Neal Stephenson, an eclectic author who primarily writes science fiction and historical fiction (with the occasional overlap). He’s is primarily known for the staggering degree of research he puts into his works and the exposition thereof; you could use his books as guides of the given subject-matter, i.e., his Baroque Cycle is an acceptable cheat-sheet for economics.

And on that note, I would like to use this introductory post as a herald for my full read-through of the Second Apocalypse. I will be posting updates upon finishing each installment, giving my thoughts on the subject matter of series as well as on the actual books.

Fare you all well.

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:05:55 pm »
Welcome! Have fun with your first reading. I enjoyed Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and Baroque Cycle, and I hope to read some of his standalone novels in the near future.
witness

Garet Jax

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:14:14 pm »
And on that note, I would like to use this introductory post as a herald for my full read-through of the Second Apocalypse. I will be posting updates upon finishing each installment, giving my thoughts on the subject matter of series as well as on the actual books.

Welcome, TWSK, although I believe our paths have crossed before very recently.

May I suggest that you post your thoughts in the chapter reviews located here: http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?board=19.0

I look forward to the fresh perspective that you will bring to our community here!

Peace.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:16:39 pm »
Welcome! I enthusiastically await you're summary judgment of TSA as you give it a second go. Is it your first or second?

Might I direct you to The Almanac ? It would be a great place for you to document your journey (though, no spoilers on that slog, please).

edit:
looks like GJ beat me to it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:31:04 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Knight (again - as we've previously connected via Quorum).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 10:42:23 am »
Welcome Knight!  i think Dune fans get a special feelz from reading Bakker  :)  i had to look up 'polymath' cause i thought it was that thing where you open your mouth and you have a lot of tongues.  it's not!