Norsirai schools?

• 7 Replies

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: February 05, 2015, 04:35:19 pm »
I am just wondering if anyone remembers any schools that are primarily norsirai? 

Mandate:  recruited from Nroni
Scarlet Spires:  recruited from Ainoni
Saik:  " " Nansur
Vokalati (spelling?): " " Nilnameshi
Cishaurim:  " " Kianene
Mysunsai:  ?   
Swayal Compact:  probably the only truly diverse school
Hell, even the College of Luthymae is probably mostly Nansur

I guess technically the consult is mostly norsirai   ;D

Also, I kind of remember Akka mentioning minor schools but never actually naming any.  I also find it odd that Atrithau and Sakarpus dont have schools.  Youd think that being as threatened by sranc as they are they would be ok with any advantage they can get, tusk or not. 

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:28:59 am »
Atrithau is anarcane ground. Can't have a school there to easily. And the Few are pretty few. As little population as those cities and their hinterland collectively have, it'd be hard to get enough for a school even if they wanted to.

As you said, the Maengaecca is likely pretty much entirely Norsirai. I suppose it's possible the Imperial Saik may have Cepalorean Norsirai as well. And who knows where the Mysunsai draws the bulk of their recruits.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:36:26 pm »
i got the feeling that there were not any Norsirai schools after the First Apocalypse.  i think there were 4 schools in the north (Mangaecca, Sohonc, and 2 others) -- where did i read that at?  so when the Great Ordeal happens, the only Norsirai nations left are Galeoth, Thunyerus, and Ce Tydon right?  i don't remember them having a school.  i bet if any young Norsirai with the gift get recognized, they get scooped up by the Scarlet Spires (being nearby) or by the Mysunsai (being the traveling type).

there seems to be something about being civilized and refined enough to have sorcerers about because the more barbarian types (latter day Norsirai and Scylvendi) don't have schools.  idk

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:23:37 pm »
The three Norsirai nations you mentioned should also be noted as being refugee states that were formed in migratory invasions. They don't exist during the apocalypse. And Thunyerus wasn't even a nation until relatively recently in the time of Prince of Nothing. Just a collection of tribes.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:00:15 pm »
The three Norsirai nations you mentioned should also be noted as being refugee states that were formed in migratory invasions. They don't exist during the apocalypse. And Thunyerus wasn't even a nation until relatively recently in the time of Prince of Nothing. Just a collection of tribes.

too true!  also, i think in the TTT glossary it talks about the Mysunsai being formed from 3 smaller schools--perhaps one was Norsirai?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:51:51 pm »
too true!  also, i think in the TTT glossary it talks about the Mysunsai being formed from 3 smaller schools--perhaps one was Norsirai?
Stumbled across this. Yeah, one of the three schools that conglomerated into the Mysunsai was a Norsirai Anagogic school. I think from Ce Tydonn, but I might be misremembering that detail.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:08:01 pm »
Atrithau is anarcane ground. Can't have a school there to easily. And the Few are pretty few. As little population as those cities and their hinterland collectively have, it'd be hard to get enough for a school even if they wanted to.

As you said, the Maengaecca is likely pretty much entirely Norsirai. I suppose it's possible the Imperial Saik may have Cepalorean Norsirai as well. And who knows where the Mysunsai draws the bulk of their recruits.

that Mandate outpost in Atrithau must have been a bitch to maintain.  the Mandate there could have a program where they screen kids for the Few whenever they are outside the city--difficult already--and the Mandate at the outpost could start the training, but to complete it, the adept would have to travel back to Atyersus for the grasping

OR all Mandate at the outpost are from the 3 seas--still have to make the perilous journey north to keep the outpost manned

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:31:50 pm »
there seems to be something about being civilized and refined enough to have sorcerers about because the more barbarian types (latter day Norsirai and Scylvendi) don't have schools.  idk
As IRL philosophers on appeared once civilizations where ... civilized. You can't have people think for a living until there is enough excess to provide for them.
One of the other conditions of possibility.