Weapons in Fantasy

• 33 Replies

The Great Scald

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 06:28:53 pm »
My favorite weapon in fantasy...probably Gurthang, the sword in JRR Tolkien's epic tragedy The Children of Húrin.

A sentient sword made of black glowing metal, forged from a fallen meteorite, can slice a dragon's hide like butter, and kills the anti-hero Túrin in the end:

'Hail, Gurthang! No lord or loyalty do you know, save the hand that wields thee. From no blood will you shrink. Will you therefore take Túrin Turambar, will you slay me swiftly?'
And from the blade rang a cold voice in answer: 'Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly.'

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 09:30:58 pm »
I totally forgot about that and I love The Children of Húrin. Good call.

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 09:22:18 pm »
I was trying to come up with more that haven't already been said, and while they're not specifically legendary they are fairly central to their respective novels.

The first being Jean Tannen's Wicked Sisters. He's rarely without them unless they've been buried in someone's head.

The other was One-Eye's spear from the Black Company. Nothing particularly special about the weapon, but
(click to show/hide)

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 09:22:04 am »
Obviously I'm an idiot and completely forgot what is probably one of the most important weapons in a fantasy series: Stormbringer.

All other magic blades are but shadows of Stormbringer, cast through dimensions.

Also, Saberhagen's 12 Swords of Power.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Garet Jax

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 01:33:30 pm »
Obviously I'm an idiot and completely forgot what is probably one of the most important weapons in a fantasy series: Stormbringer.

All other magic blades are but shadows of Stormbringer, cast through dimensions.

I just spent quite some time reading about the 12 Swords of Power... Do you recommend the series Curethan?  Also, feel free to delete this post, after replying of course ;) , as it doesn't really belong here.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 08:38:53 am »
Sanderson's "Stormlight Archives" is in a way focused on swords, namely Shardblades. Since they can cut through anything, including human soul, they are highly valued and coveted. Oh, and they also change their users' eye colour from dark to light. And then we learn that in fact they are not really swords, they are something totally different.
Kane of Wagner's novels has a huge sword of Carsultyal steel, which he wears on his back. The sword is not magical, but since Carsultyal is a city of sorcerers that is long gone, the sword is very distinctive.
Witcher from Sapkowski's novels has two swords - the silver one is for monsters, the iron one for humans.

And moving away from swords, since I'm currently re-reading Zelazny's "Amber", Corwin's son Merlin has Frakir, which is basically an intelligent garotte and in addition to killing enemies, it also warns him of danger. Very cool weapon, IMO.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 11:41:44 am »
Ah, I thought of one.

The Subtle Knife, from the His Dark Materials trillogy, and the title of the 2nd book. http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php?title=The_Subtle_Knife

The Subtle-Knife, also known as Æsahættr, meaning "God-Destroyer", is the name given to the dagger created by the Guild of Torre degli Angeli. An ordinary looking dagger, it possesses extraordinary capabilities; able to cut through any substance - lead, flesh, Dust; even the membrane that separates one world from another.

"It was an ordinary-looking dagger, with a double-sided blade of dull metal about eight inches long, a short crosspiece of the same metal, and a handle of rosewood. As he looked at it more closely, he saw that the rosewood was inlaid with golden wires, forming a design he didn't recognize till he turned the knife around and saw an angel, with wings folded. On the other side was a different angel, with wings upraised. The wires stood out a little from the surface, giving a firm grip, and as he picked it up he felt that it was light in his hand and strong and beautifully balanced, and that the blade was not dull after all. In fact, a swirl of cloudy colors seemed to live just under the surface of the metal: bruise purples, sea blues, earth browns, cloud grays, the deep green under heavy-foliaged trees, the clustering shades at the mount of a tomb as evening falls over a deserted graveyard...."

The two edges of the knife are very different. One is clear bright steel that is incredibly sharp and will cut through any material in the world. The other side is just as sharp but silvery. This is the side that cuts into different worlds.

The knife is carried in a leather sheath, backed with stiff horn. There are buckles to hold the knife firmly in place because any movement would cut through the leather.

Bonus: Those chosen by the knife to wield it, once they grasp the handle, their ring and little finger fall off.

Major Series spoiler if anyone cares
(click to show/hide)

-----
unrelated

I just spent quite some time reading about the 12 Swords of Power... Do you recommend the series Curethan?
Same thing happened to me. And same question.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:44:28 am by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 11:52:33 am »
And from Sanderson also, this time "Warbreaker" - Nightblood. A sentient sword created with one aim only, "To destroy evil". And it speaks in its wielder's head. The problem is, its concept of evil is a bit fuzzy.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Garet Jax

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »
ASoIaF: All of the Valeryian swords...  They have no real innate magic, but just their superiority to other weapons set in that world make them memorable.  Also Lightbringer, whenever we get to see that one.

Drizzt: Twinkle & Icingdeath... Because, yea, they are like his business cards.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 04:16:19 am »
H mentioned Stormbringer.  It was but one of a number of similarly enchanted blades, only one other of which was named afaik: Mournblade.  I personally feel like Moorcock couldn't think of similarly badass names to call the others, so he just left it.  lol

In The Scar, by China Mieville, a character named Uther Doul wields the Possible Sword.
When he has his sword switched off, he relies on precision. Precision doesn't work when the sword is switched on, though. The sword makes every possible strike varying degrees of real. The results are typically extremely messy, as dozens, or even hundreds, of possible strikes land with each attack, generally puréeing whatever is on the receiving end.
  Quote is from a topic on a fantasy board, but describes what the sword does fairly well.  Basically, it enacted probabilities in combat.  He was one of my fav characters in the book, and I loved the idea of the sword.

And here's me breaking the rules again (i.e. not from a book), but I couldn't help thinking of Souledge from the Soul Caliber games.
No whistling on the slog!

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 07:17:05 am »

I just spent quite some time reading about the 12 Swords of Power... Do you recommend the series Curethan?
Same thing happened to me. And same question.

Ah, sorry.  Not really.  Been 20 years since I read 'em, but iirc it's pretty generic stuff.  You got all the cool bits in that wiki entry.  Would recommend Berserker and his Empire of the East trilogy though.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 08:26:56 pm »
I was just doing a quick reread of Richard Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes trilogy before diving into the last book and it kind of surprised me that the topic of legendary weapons has never come up given that we comprise what I suspect is primarily a spec-fic audience. So, based on my most recent read, I present the Ravensfriend:

"I am Welcomed in the Home of Ravens and Other Scavengers in the Wake of Warriors," Ringil recited for him, hollowly. "I am Friend to Carrion Crows and Wolves. I am Carry Me and Kill with Me, and Die with Me Where the Road Ends. I am not the Honeyed Promise of Length of Life in Years to Come. I am the Iron Promise of Never Being a Slave."
"That's its dedication?"
"That's its name," Ringil told him flatly.

A few others come to mind immediately, but I haven't any defining passages to include for them. Any weapons you've read about that really stand out to you? If this catches on I'll add some more

i think Ringil is the name of the sword that Fingolfin injures Morgoth with in the Silmarillion

- anyone mentioned Grond yet? hammer of the underworld, what Morgoth broke Fingolfin with. later the battering ram that crashes Minas Tirith's gates is also called Grond
- the black sword that Turin wields in his tragedy
- other swords in Silmarillion (i'm sorry, i don't know where my copy is!)
- Tiffany Aching fucks up fairyland with her trusty iron skillet
- Peter's sword and Susan's bow from Narnia
- Jorg's 'special weapon' (at the end of King of Thorns)
- the Nuban's bow (Prince of Thorns)
- the talking sword that uses Rincewind in The Colour of Magic (that trunk of sapient pearwood is pretty much a weapon too)
- i can't quite remember, does The Subtle Knife count?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 03:37:21 pm »

See: http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=1612.msg22279#msg22279
;)

I think it counts.

From the Drizzt series I like:
Taulmaril: "Heartseeker" Bow that could not be broken a quiver that never emptied and was filled with lightning arrows.
Khazid'hea: Sentient sword obsessed with killing. Sharp enough to cut through anything, even magically enchanted "impenetrable" armor. This thing was basically a lightsaber.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 06:59:43 pm »

See: http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=1612.msg22279#msg22279
;)

I think it counts.

From the Drizzt series I like:
Taulmaril: "Heartseeker" Bow that could not be broken a quiver that never emptied and was filled with lightning arrows.
Khazid'hea: Sentient sword obsessed with killing. Sharp enough to cut through anything, even magically enchanted "impenetrable" armor. This thing was basically a lightsaber.

derp!  Wilshire all over like a red jelly bean driving a cherry porsche into a dying sun

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 07:04:00 pm »
Cant believe I didn't think of Waylanders awesome crossbow. He doesn't name it but it is a one of a kind weapon.

Also from another series I mentioned before Achmeds Cwellan which is a weird projectile weapon that shoots little metal stars that go wherever he wants them to go, he can feel your blood pulsing and your heart beating from hundreds of metres away.