The poetry of science - Dawkins and Tyson

• 1 Replies

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:32:59 am »
Watched the first 20 minutes of this yesterday and it looks very interesting.

Dawkins is a Biologist - more well known for his atheist literature.
Tyson is more Astrophysics and Cosmology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RExQFZzHXQ

Especially funny was Dawkins failure to comprehend Isotropy and Homogeneity and how this Cosmological Principle of the Universe leads to non preferential reference frames stating he may just have to "believe". Im not knocking Dawkins here I just found it funny.

Will watch the rest tonight and post the rest of my thoughts.

Francis Buck

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:31:55 am »
This is an awesome one, didn't finish yet but I will later. Tyson is the best and I generally enjoy hearing Dawkins talk, especially when it's about something other than atheism or the whole evolution/creationism thing, which at this point I find a little grating and redundant (though I fully admit to thinking he was the best thing ever when I was a bit younger and more militant in my "non-belief" or whatever you want to call it). The part where he's inquiring about the expansion of the universe was really good for me personally, since it's something I find really fuckin' hard to conceptualize and he was basically asking the same questions that were popping up in my head as Tyson spoke. This is another one I like, with Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss, who is always a great speaker, on the topic of how "something could have come from nothing"