DMing brainstorm, artifacts and stuff

• 18 Replies

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 04:52:45 am »
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVvogfB5WhgYAtxU3nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMG04Z2o2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1444867232/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fdungeonmastering.com%2finstantDM%2finstant_dm.pdf/RK=0/RS=kLcoSweIjHkJMNGSpk4KTZlMYCU-

^ highly recommend the PDF above for the best advice on DMing. The key is to improvise and be flexible. Let your players drive the sessions, let them set out on adventures that interest them and tie in some "hooks" that relate to their characters' back story if they have it. Keep some battle maps on hand you can slap down for any situation when you want to start an encounter, or even just blank grids you can quickly draw or color on. Be a "why not" DM - if your players ask if they can do something, let them. Make them roll for it and tell them you're rewarding  them with a bonus on their next roll to reward their creativity.

Preparation can be a huge time sink that isn't fun for the DMs or their players. Definitely live in your world and daydream in it so your players have a fleshed out sandbox to roam in. But try to be as flexible as possible, as the ability to do anything is what makes tabletop RPGs special.

Yeah I'm pretty good on that front I think. I mostly throw open situations at them and then they drive the conclusions. The players have been running around the frontier and stirring up trouble. They're starting to get involved in politics and intrigue in the area. I'm pretty hands off when it comes to play and don't railroad them.

All this lore stuff me and H have been talking about is really just for fun. I like thinking about the world and fleshing it out. When it comes to actual play, the players totally drive the narrative.

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 10:38:59 am »
So H, are you still into this? Want to hear about the players have been up to? They've had a few sessions now and the story is starting to develop.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:42:10 pm by dragharrow »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 01:03:02 pm »
So H, are you still into this? Want to hear about the players have been up to? They've had a few sessions now and the story is starting to develop.

Sure, I'm always open to offering what I've got (even if most of it probably isn't very helpful/cogent).
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 03:21:23 am »
Hey h, did you see my message?