• 39 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 03:14:44 pm »
Ah, I was worried the slog was lost, but today, according to made citing the schedule we half made, this week begins TWP.

Slog well.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 05:34:49 pm »
Well, Sunday to Saturday - arbitrarily.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 06:21:16 pm »
Well, from the What Comes Before,

Anasûrimbor Kellhus is a monk sent by his order, the Dûnyain, to search for his father, Anasûrimbor Moënghus.

Kellhus quickly realizes he can turn the man’s thirst for vengeance to his advantage. Claiming to be an assassin sent to murder Moënghus, he asks the Scylvendi to join him on his quest. Overpowered by his hatred, Cnaiür reluctantly agrees, and the two men set out across the Jiünati Steppe. Time and again, Kellhus tries to secure the trust he needs to possess the man, but the barbarian continually rebuffs him. His hatred and penetration are too great.

Wether you want to believe it nor not, there it is. I have never believed it was Kellhus's original mission to kill his father.

This from Cnaüir, eerily similar to how he meets Moe.

Despite the deranged scale of its ambition, the Dûnyain’s plan seemed to be working. In his dreams, Cnaiür had always come across Moënghus alone. Sometimes there would be words, sometimes not. There would always be bleeding.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 07:59:52 pm »
From TTT

"Scrutiny. Calculation.

"It's not in your interest to deceive me." A stone‐faced pause. "Unless ..."

"Unless," Kellhus said, "I've come to assassinate you, as our Dûnyain brothers have decreed ... Is this your apprehension?"

Scrutiny. Calculation.

You have not the power to overcome me."

"But I do, Father."

Damn contradictions piled on contradictions :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 09:08:51 pm »
I'm getting more no-god vibes from akka.

Thought it was interesting that Akka refers to Anaxphoras(sp?) In the diminutive, which turns out to be Anakka.

An- of course meaning anti. Anti-Akka kills the no-god, Akka becomes him ;).

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 10:07:31 pm »
From TTT

"Scrutiny. Calculation.

"It's not in your interest to deceive me." A stone‐faced pause. "Unless ..."

"Unless," Kellhus said, "I've come to assassinate you, as our Dûnyain brothers have decreed ... Is this your apprehension?"

Scrutiny. Calculation.

You have not the power to overcome me."

"But I do, Father."

Damn contradictions piled on contradictions :)

Viramsata. Lie becoming truth. Right before this Moe explains that is exactly what the Thousandfold Thought is. When Kellhus grasped it, he became an assassin. The brothers never decreed it, Kellhus is simply believing his own lies to justify his actions. Viramsata, not contradictions.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:16:35 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »
Kellhus explaining Cnaüir's swazond to Esement,

But the scars, or swazond, don’t celebrate the taking of life, as everyone in the Three Seas seems to assume. They mark the … intersection, you might say, between competing lines of action, the point where one life yields its momentum to another. The fact that Cnaiür, for instance, bears the scars of many means that he walks with the momentum of many. His swazond are far more than his trophies , they’re the record of his reality. Seen through Scylvendi eyes , he’s the single stone that has become an avalanche.

I love this. Madness once said that Cnaüir's swazond could be akin to Karsa Orlong's souls he drags behind him. And this sounds an awful lot just like that. Many-blooded, indeed. A stone that has become an avalanche.

And we know that you can transfer a soul into another. The waathi doll and Seswatha are just two examples. Using Cnaüir's souls to become a God (ascend), or a walking God (Meppa) doesn't strike me as a stretch with the evidence building up on this re-read.

ETA: to clarify, I don't believe Meppa is a God. I meant that he is probably the second most powerful "sorcerer" on Earwa. So, in as much as a walking God.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:54:43 pm by MSJ »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »
Chapter 2:

The evidence piles up that Istriya is already a skin-spy (something I think there is little doubt about anyway):

“Tell me, Xerius,” his mother said huskily, “how was it that you discovered Skeaös?”

Of course she (it) is curious how they found out the other skin-spy.  In fact, in a way, this is the undoing of the Consult's whole plan here, the spot where we (could) realize that Moënghus really completely outmaneuvered them by having them unwittingly further his Thousand-Fold Thought.

I'm still uncertain of our timeline for the reread of this book, but I'll risk the damnation and plow along, a chapter a day starting next Monday.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 01:16:13 pm »
H, well I'm already ahead of schedule. And, the slog has seemed to well, died so to say. I say we just move along and post what we find relevant.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 02:03:53 pm »
Post on! I think im around chapter 3 at this point, which puts me behind for the week. Hopefully I'll do smoe catch-up this weekend.

“Tell me, Xerius,” his mother said huskily, “how was it that you discovered Skeaös?”

Agee with H, this seems very clearly the consult semi-interr-rape-ing him for information.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 02:12:12 pm »
H, well I'm already ahead of schedule. And, the slog has seemed to well, died so to say. I say we just move along and post what we find relevant.

Hopefully our soon to be published cast might reinvigorate it some.  I'll be plowing through a bunch more chapters next week, I can usually do about 1-2 each weekdays morning so I think I can finish part one by next Friday.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 03:00:39 pm »
I'm just finishing a book before moving onto TWP.

morkypep

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 03:37:20 am »
I was stricken with a reinvigorated love for the books over the christmas break, and i ripped through half of TWP. Gonna stop and let you guys catch up.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 12:25:43 pm »
Chapter 3:

We begin with an earthquake that levels Ruöm.  Natural, or was this perhaps Moe's doing?

Later, Eleäzaras tells us:

the Mandate playing some arcane Gnostic game every single Spires agent in Sumna uncovered and executed—even though they seemed secure enough before the Scarlet Spires set foot in the Empire.

So, it is not just the Mandate's agents being picked off, but the Spires as well.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 04:07:29 pm »

Chapter 3:

We begin with an earthquake that levels Ruöm.  Natural, or was this perhaps Moe's doing?

Later, Eleäzaras tells us:

the Mandate playing some arcane Gnostic game every single Spires agent in Sumna uncovered and executed—even though they seemed secure enough before the Scarlet Spires set foot in the Empire.

So, it is not just the Mandate's agents being picked off, but the Spires as well.
thats just maithanet cleaning house. Like finding a pretext to send sarcellus to the holy war

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk