Yearly Targets (2016) - Totals and Specifics

• 155 Replies

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 10:54:40 am »
Finished Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law yesterday.

Usual Sanderson - quick paced and refreshing, never boring and some great visuals.

The whole Allomantic and Feruchemical systems were really good in Mistborn and Alloy expands on that with the introduction of the Twinborn - both Allomantic and Feruchemical practitioners.

Ill have a review up on SFFDen in the next few days.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 07:19:55 pm »
Alloy of Law is fine, but the next two are even better. Shadows of Self has such a great deconstruction of western tropes in the introduction, it made me laugh. And Bands of Mourning are incredibly fast-paced.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2016, 06:52:24 pm »
Strange you posted this - I saw both in Waterstones today not knowing they were out. Hardcover and the same cover types as the ones I need. If I wasn't going away in a few weeks and needed all of my available pennies I would have bought them both!

Looking forward to reading them.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 07:04:35 pm »
Well, Sanderson did his thing again - he wrote a book and a few years later decided to write a sequel, which turned to be two books - and that's still not the end, as there is book four planned for sometime next year or later. But "Wax and Wayne" books are still much shorter and lighter than the rest of his stuff. And he's got much better as a writer in those years between Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2016, 06:28:26 pm »
Finished reading the book by the Polish philosopher, which means I've already read for books this year. Not bad for me, although the last two were rather shortish.
It was totally strange. No fantastic elements whatsoever, but a complicated family story, even more complicated by the absolutely unreliable first-person narration, so that I had to piece all the elements of the puzzle together on my own. Language still enchanting and on the whole fully satisfying.

Now I'm at a bit of a loss what to read - another Brunner, this time Sheep Look Up, a Polish military s-f by a writer who has also spent some time as a doctor in Afghanistan, Glukhovsky's FUTU.RE or maybe non-fiction about wolves (although this one I should be reading on a computer, as it has coloured photos).

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 01:11:06 am »
So I finished the Slog, needless to say. Now I've started Lawrence's Prince of Fools. About 100 pages in and the action is just getting started. I think it's going to be a good one. I have the second book also. That should hold me off til TGO, with the Atrocity Tales thrown in there.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 06:56:13 pm »
I might unwind from the Slog with a reread of Lord of the Rings.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 06:59:20 pm »

That's unwinding? Phew, your a special kinda soul. That was one of the harder books I've had to push through. Hated the names with a passion.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 11:24:16 pm »
Well at least it's shorter than TSA!

It's admittedly not easier reading. I actually had to read other stuff to get my reading level up before I could truly enjoy it. But the last time I finished the Aspect-Emperor, it made me want to pick up LotR again. They both have a similar sense of scope and geography and a kind of sad reminiscence of old and mysterious things.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 12:16:42 am »
Well at least it's shorter than TSA!

It's admittedly not easier reading. I actually had to read other stuff to get my reading level up before I could truly enjoy it. But the last time I finished the Aspect-Emperor, it made me want to pick up LotR again. They both have a similar sense of scope and geography and a kind of sad reminiscence of old and mysterious things.

Maybe I should give it another go sometime and see if it has The Same effect on me. My reading has increased dramtically in the genre over the last few years. I'm sort of a connoisseur, I must say. ;D

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2016, 04:45:27 pm »

that might be a good idea since it seems that Bakker is not yet done with Tolkein...TEASING EXECUTED

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 11:43:31 am »
Finished Farseer #2 on Friday. I must say it was a lot better than the first and I am going to start on the third soon.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2016, 03:30:15 pm »
Well I did finish TTT, on to TJE.

Also started DoD, hopefully I'll work my way through that one quickly, though it is a hulk of a book.
Well, it wasn't quick, but I finished it.

Also, I've technically read TGO so put that one up there as well. I think thats 5(?) 4 for the year.

Started Wise Man's Fear, which is great so far.
Half way through TJE, maybe I'll finish that first?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:53:36 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2016, 07:25:05 pm »
Prince of Fools and The Liars Key, by Mark Lawrence. Very good books, 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. I hope the The Wheel of Osheim is a great finale.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:32:19 pm by MSJ »

rhizome

• The Afflicted Few
  • Emwama
  • One or Several Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2016, 09:54:07 pm »
Gene Wolfe - Book of the New Sun...

Has anyone read it?  Thinking of doing a re-read pre-TGO...

It sets a really high standard for fantasy literature, IMO.  One of the best.