• 21 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:00:27 pm »
If you want a 1st edition 1st print of any of the TSA books, or Advanced Reader Copies / Uncorrected Proof, I assure you they are out there.

That said, I sometimes run across good deals so I figured I'd share the information by posting it in this thread.

Some potentially useful information to the aspiring Bakker collector:

Things like 1st/1st of TDTCB in great condition often show up for around $80. More than that and you're better off looking some more. Less than that, and you'll want to make sure you are getting what you think you're buying. 1st edition 2nd printing (missing the '1' from the numberline) will go as low as a few bucks, up to over $100+. You'll be disappointed if you get a 1st/2nd and paid full price for it (Overlook printed the 2nd prints on bad paper, so they are already heavily yellowed, and have printing stains on them.)

TWP 1st/1st tend to be a bit less expensive, but can be harder to find. Generally they are priced cheaper than TDTCB. Maybe $50.

TTT, as far as I can tell, they only did 1 print run, and while lots of them have been remaindered (black mark on the pages at the bottom in sharpie), they are generally not too difficult to find and shouldn't be too pricey.  You should expect to pay more for one that isn't remaindered.

TJE and TWP probably only have 1 print run as well, and should be pretty easy to find given their publication date. They should cost about what a new hardcover costs.

If you are interested in purchasing a 1st/1st of TDTCB you can PM me, I might have an extra one or two laying around that I could sell you.

Advanced Reader Copies (ARCs) and/or Uncorrected Proofs:
All the Prince of Nothing books have Uncorrected Proof editions. These are softcover, published by Penguin, and while not particularly prolific, tend to sell fairly cheaply, maybe $30 or less for each. They can be difficult to come by, and I've seen prices increase over time.

It looks like Overlook switched from "Uncorrected Proof" to ARC after PON. I have never seen an 'Uncorrected Proof' of TJE, but if you find one let me know. ARCs do exist and tend to be more expensive than their PoN counterparts. The two ARCs that I have seen were published by Overlook. Softcover.

WLW  has Uncorrected Proofs as well, and at least when I was looking, was easier to find and cheaper than the TJE ARC. Published by Overlook. Softcover

Might be noteworthy for the completionist/OCD in you, that there is a press release sent along with each. Its just a piece of paper that has a synopsis of Bakker's books and its printed on an Overlook letterhead.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:19:21 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:07:47 pm »
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:56:13 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 01:46:11 pm »
03/30/2016
TJE Advanced Reader Copy (ARC)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Judging-Eye-R-Scott-Bakker-ARC-Proof-/182070365345?hash=item2a643d4ca1:g:B~8AAOSwzvlW-XiV

$20, good condition (a little rough around the edges)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 07:55:23 pm »
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 03:56:12 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:00:34 pm »
Hmm... I would consider actually purchasing that.

But then I would need to find TWP and TTT. Plus that is an Overlook edition ;).

Did you ever find Penguin hardcovers?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 05:09:21 pm »
Never seen a penguin hardcover. If I did, I'd have purchased it ;).

There's a 1st/1st TWP up for $50 and TTT is generally not too tough to find. You can buy one of mine, though its remaindered (if you care), probably sell it to you for less than $20.

You could offer the seller whatever it is you're willing to pay since its an option in the purchase screen. Ship it to my house and pick it up later if you want to save on international shipping :P.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:11:13 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 03:08:39 am »
I clearly should have bought that copy of TDTCB to complete my set.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 12:14:43 pm »
Its still available

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 05:09:27 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Thousandfold-Thought-R-Scott-Bakker-SIGNED-First-Edition-1st-Printing-Bk3-/262419591069?hash=item3d196d2f9d:g:04cAAOSwn9lXKbOI

Signed 1st/1st of TTT,  $99

Not many signed editions show up, though there has been a set of PoN all signed 1st/1st for $300 for ages that has never been sold. If you like signatures, its probably reasonably priced. Mind you, non-signed 1st/1st TTTs sell for half or less.

Signature looks legit, but I'm no appraiser.

Also note, I don't think they ever printed TTTs that were price clipped, though getting one without a remaindered mark can be irritating. AFAIK, they only printed the one edition.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 03:57:17 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 01:57:00 am »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:22:33 pm by Wilshire »

nicolas.secondapocalypse

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 11:56:29 am »
Glad to see everyone is still trying to find the First Editions. It's been a while since I made my Second Apocalypse account for that specific reason. Happy to be back after finishing TGO.

I'm proud to say, I'm now the owner of all the hardback Overlook covers in First Edition. This is largely thanks to Wilshire's help, so I'm happy to see him posting about this again. I do have a remark about the TTT edition (see below).

I might look for some signed first Canadian versions in the future, but for now I'm quite happy with my collection. I would love to see some information on what to look out for (numbers, physical traits) when it comes to first Canadian Editions. A breakdown of the existing Unproofed and Advanced Reading Copy Editions (both Overlook and Canadian Penguin), would be a superb addition to this post as well.

TTT, as far as I can tell, they only did 1 print run, and while lots of them have been remaindered (black mark on the pages at the bottom in sharpie), they are generally not too difficult to find and shouldn't be too pricey.  You should expect to pay more for one that isn't remaindered.

Like I mentioned above, I have one remark. All of my Overlook hardcover editions mention that they are First Editions, from PON to TGO, except for TTT. I've seen you mention a second edition of TDTCB with less quality paper, etc. This seems to happen with my version of TTT as well. So maybe there IS a second print run, my line starts with 2 and like I said, no mention of First Edition. Can you clarify this for me (i.e. tell me how yours looks)?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 03:10:22 pm »
I can look at my hardcover of TTT when i get home in a few hours.  I bought it the day it was released so it should be first edition (US, not Canadian).
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 03:34:59 pm »
Glad to see everyone is still trying to find the First Editions. It's been a while since I made my Second Apocalypse account for that specific reason. Happy to be back after finishing TGO.

I'm proud to say, I'm now the owner of all the hardback Overlook covers in First Edition. This is largely thanks to Wilshire's help, so I'm happy to see him posting about this again. I do have a remark about the TTT edition (see below).
Welcome back. I'm glad to hear you've got your collection :D . Post some pictures?  You won't find many people who will geek out over your collection other than here.
FYI, its typically better to post photos somewhere like imgur and then share the link.

I might look for some signed first Canadian versions in the future, but for now I'm quite happy with my collection. I would love to see some information on what to look out for (numbers, physical traits) when it comes to first Canadian Editions. A breakdown of the existing Unproofed and Advanced Reading Copy Editions (both Overlook and Canadian Penguin), would be a superb addition to this post as well.
The second half of my initial post is about ARCs/Unproofed. I'll flesh it out a bit, but for now I cleaned it up slightly and added a bit of missing info.
Basically, PoN has Unproofed, which are functionally identical to ARCs both in purpose and form. They are what Overlook sent to reviewers before the initial release. They are all softcovers, typically have printed on the cover "Uncorrected Proof", and sometimes have a sticker that says the same as well.
Might be noteworthy for the completionist/OCD in you, that there is a press release sent along with each. Its just a piece of paper that has a synopsis of Bakker's books and its printed on an Overlook letterhead.

Like I mentioned above, I have one remark. All of my Overlook hardcover editions mention that they are First Editions, from PON to TGO, except for TTT. I've seen you mention a second edition of TDTCB with less quality paper, etc. This seems to happen with my version of TTT as well. So maybe there IS a second print run, my line starts with 2 and like I said, no mention of First Edition. Can you clarify this for me (i.e. tell me how yours looks)?

Very interesting. Sounds like a 2nd print to me. Would you mind posting or sending pictures of the cover and inside flap, the back (including original barcode/price tag) and the copyright page which contains the numberline? Also, any yellowing pages or what you think appear to be printing errors such as the marks I described above for TDTCB.

Biggest hint there is the numberline missing the number 1. They aren't always in numerical order, but the 1 should be in there somewhere. If not, its almost certainly a 2nd printing in this case.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:42:01 pm by Wilshire »

nicolas.secondapocalypse

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 10:28:00 am »
You can see the pictures here.

http://imgur.com/a/Ppken

As you can see, there is no mention of it being a "First Edition", as with the other books. The 1, however, is there at the back of the row of numbers.

I'm still quite sure that it is a 2nd printing, because of the missing "First Edition" and the fact that, in comparison to the other two TPON volumes, these pages are much more yellow and of less quality (book weighs less as well).

Could you compare it with your first volumes and let me know what it looks like (mention of "First Edition", quality of paper and where the 1 is located).

I guess I'll start my search to replace this edition.  ;)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 02:22:01 pm »
Nah that's a first edition. That, or in all my searching I've never found a true 1st, but that seems unlikely to me.
Numberlines are not always numerical but first printings almost always have the 1, and subsequent printings do not.
'First Edition' is a nice addition, but doesn't really mean much. You can have a true 1st without it. Its unfortunate that Overlook decided to leave it out in only one of their editions... but I'm pretty sure that's what they did.

Mine all look the same (I've got several). Slightly yellowed paper, same numberline as your, no 'first edition'.