What's up with Serwe's Burning Heart?

• 5 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:22:54 am »
Was the "miracle" of Serwe's heart after the Circumfix accomplished by mundane, arcane or divine means?

Nil Sertrax

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:59:28 am »
I'll tag on to this question...

The scene that Sciborg refers to is maddeningly vague.  I've read that section multiple times and have read the Great Ordeal ARC so I have the benefit of the additional info that the newest book provides.  I still can't satisfactorily parse that scene.  I've heard rumors (maybe on the old Three Seas fourm?) that portions of this scene were edited out and that, in hindsight, you weren't terribly happy with the resulting version that made it to the book. 

Will you please, please, please (pretty please with sugar on top!) shed what light you can on this scene?  What was edited out? What, if anything, went wrong?  If you could rewrite this section would you change it given the near universal confusion it seems to have caused.  Can you give us the original couple of paragraphs here?

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer these questions and thanks so much for the enjoyment these books have provided. 

Cû'jara-Cinmoi

• Momurai
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:41:03 am »
Serwe is an important cipher in the books. Kellhus is not above chicanery. There's not much more I can say without getting deeper into either, which I don't want to do until the series is completed.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 02:33:18 am »
Would be funny if it actually did turn out to be a mundane slight of hand.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:54:51 am »

There's not much more I can say without getting deeper into either, which I don't want to do until the series is completed.

I mean, you could put it in spoiler tags... Just kidding.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 09:57:26 am »
"What's this behind your ear - is it Serwe's heart!?"

Not sure how Serwe is a cypher - surely she's just a silly girl who prayed too hard at her alters? */waving red rag*