[TGO SPOILERS] Momemn

• 62 Replies

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 03:25:33 pm »
I'd be surprised if she was dead. Kelmomas is not particularly reliable, and I assume that Kellhus teleported away from the danger and took her with him. He seemed to like her more than a Dunyain should.
That whole scene was rather confusing, I'll have to read it more closely once I get the full release.
I'd agree with you, but he seems to teleport after the chunk of rock crashes to the ground.
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 03:27:11 pm »
If she is dead, Kellhus will descend further into madness I think.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 03:36:43 pm »
His comment to her, that he came back to "salvage what he could" I immediately took to mean saving her.  Thinking about it now, I think he meant taking Meppa alive and turning Malowebi into, well, whatever the hell he is now, Ciphrang-Malowebi I guess.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 03:39:48 pm »
His comment to her, that he came back to "salvage what he could" I immediately took to mean saving her.  Thinking about it now, I think he meant taking Meppa alive and turning Malowebi into, well, whatever the hell he is now, Ciphrang-Malowebi I guess.

And to retrieve his little monster.
No whistling on the slog!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2016, 03:43:09 pm »

Perhaps, but we saw no evidence of that since he leave him in the Throne Room all the same...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 03:44:03 pm »
Did he teleport away?  I don't recall that.  I'll have to look at it again.

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »
I think it's implied that he did, since the next scene is him in the tent with Malowebi. I believe the scene in the throne room ends with Kell sitting on his throne. I no longer have my ARC so I can't check.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 03:50:58 pm »
I think it's implied that he did, since the next scene is him in the tent with Malowebi. I believe the scene in the throne room ends with Kell sitting on his throne. I no longer have my ARC so I can't check.
I'm not sure on the timeline of that whole thing, but there is no direct referance to him teleporting. I actually got the feeling that the Malowebi scene took place before the throne room scene. I'm kind of wondering if we were supposed to be wondering if Kellhus survived.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 03:52:47 pm »
I'm not sure on the timeline of that whole thing, but there is no direct referance to him teleporting. I actually got the feeling that the Malowebi scene took place before the throne room scene. I'm kind of wondering if we were supposed to be wondering if Kellhus survived.

Yeah, I'm realizing I only implied that from the next scene being the Malowebi one.  Boy, that part is confusing...

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 04:02:44 pm »
I think Malowebi happened after. Kell still had both Decapitants on his belt when Esmi saw him.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 04:11:36 pm »
I think Malowebi happened after. Kell still had both Decapitants on his belt when Esmi saw him.

That's a good point.  I think that chapter bounces around.  However, I have some minor doubts.  IMO, the Decapitant would probably have had to have been attached pretty much right away, right?  I mean, you wouldn't let a body bleed out from being decapitated, then go back later and attach a demon head.  Would you?  Seems like the body would still need it's blood to function, but hell, maybe not with a demon head grafted onto it.

Also, Kellhus appears in Fanayal's camp only after the first earthquake, not after the second.  Again, why would he show up in camp, thrash everyone, teleport to the palace, yada yada, then teleport back to the camp to attach the demon head?  Unless the body needed time to exsanguinate first.  Circuitous thoughts! ah!

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 09:11:49 pm »

That's a good point.  I think that chapter bounces around.  However, I have some minor doubts.  IMO, the Decapitant would probably have had to have been attached pretty much right away, right?  I mean, you wouldn't let a body bleed out from being decapitated, then go back later and attach a demon head.  Would you?  Seems like the body would still need it's blood to function, but hell, maybe not with a demon head grafted onto it.

Also, Kellhus appears in Fanayal's camp only after the first earthquake, not after the second.  Again, why would he show up in camp, thrash everyone, teleport to the palace, yada yada, then teleport back to the camp to attach the demon head?  Unless the body needed time to exsanguinate first.  Circuitous thoughts! ah!
When I did my second read, I decided that he didn't kill Malowebi immediately. It says the sword came down, but it could have been the pommel of the sword to knock him out instead of the blade to kill him. Then Kell transported to the throne room because he was short on time. Then back to make a demon. That's the only thing that makes sense to me with the way it's written right now.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2016, 03:02:00 am »
Sorry, double post, but another thought:

I'm fairly sure Meppa is that kid in TTT that Aurang "tells a secret." Wouldn't it be really interesting, since learning that it was the Dunyain and not the Cishaurim or the Psuhke responsible for outing the Skin-Spies, that the Consult might have helped the kid learn the Psuhke so that he'd be another thorn in Kellhus' side later?
I don't think it could be the kid. Meppa seems like he is quite aged.

I'll probably comment more in profgrape's other thread but water is passion, passion is stress, stress prematurely ages, etc, etc ;).

So... Did we just witness Esmi's death?  She isn't mentioned after they both turn to look at Kelmomas, and a 'bastion' fell on the spot where Kellhus and she were together.  Kelmomas only loved Esmenet, and it says he was bereft of all he had loved and known.  I think Esmenet just died.  :o

By my flerwed reading, I suspect that Kelmomas is so upset because he thought he was supposed to help the Warrior kill Kellhus and he inadvertently stops that from happening.

Also, Bakker has said previously that Achamian and Esmenet interact again - thus, killing all such debate about their fates until they do so. I'll have to dig for that quote, though.

+1 both those, though I don't discount that "salvage what he could" includes saving Esmenet, in addition to Meppa/Ciphrang-Malowebi.

When I did my second read, I decided that he didn't kill Malowebi immediately. It says the sword came down, but it could have been the pommel of the sword to knock him out instead of the blade to kill him. Then Kell transported to the throne room because he was short on time. Then back to make a demon. That's the only thing that makes sense to me with the way it's written right now.

Sadly, I think all of this is a result of writerly and oversight error :(.

I second HP's thought that it would be real nice if Overlook/Bakker could source this ARC discussion and amend the canon artifact accordingly.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2016, 01:30:41 pm »
As it's written though, I don't see where Esmenet is, except under the falling vault.  Granted, we don't see her after it's said that Kel shouts to them and Kellhus takes a step, but that is all we get, except seeing Kellhus walking alone toward the throne.  It's said the vault falls where he was, which would be where Esmenet was too, but again, it is unclear where she was at that point.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2016, 02:13:05 pm »
To be clear, when I said 'retrieve his little monster' I meant Kelmomas.  As far as Kellhus is either aware or unaware of, imo, most of his children are in mortal danger or are already dead.  Kayutas is with the GO, likely to fail at Golgotterath.  Serwa is in Ishterebinth, likely to die fighting the Nonmen allied with Golgotterath.  Thelli is no use to him, really, and is dead anyway.  Inrilatas, again no practical use and dead.  Samarmas, no use, dead.  Kelmomas is, to all outward appearances, the only Anasurimbor child likely to survive current events.  Along with saving Esmi (maybe), Kelmomas had to be a reason to return.

While on the subject of Kelmomas, anyone else think this is super weird?  TGO ARC, pg. 452

Ruined! Samarmas screamed, assailed him, biting deep into his neck before vanishing into his own shadow palace, the hollow bones of the boy's own thought.  Kelmomas scrunched the collar of his tunic – the one he had donned after his altercation with Theliopa – under his jaw and chin to staunch the blood.
He liked to remind him from time to time, his twin.
Remind him what it had been like before.

So... this raises a couple of theories to me.  One, Kel (and really all Anasurimbor) suffers from some form of mental illness, some kind of MPD.  Maybe he hurt himself, and in his illness called the hurter Samarmas.

Or two, Samarmas is an actual entity within Kel that can manifest and interact with the 'real' world.

Anyone have thoughts on this?