• 1 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:27:00 am »
I didn't know where to put this and thought here would be as good as any. I am really devastated about the flooding that occured this past weekend in West Virginia, my home. Where I am located, we were lucky and never got any flooding that caused any damage or harm to anyone. Southern WV is in dire straights, however. 44 counties have been affected by flooding, what meteorologists call a 1000 year flood. Towns wiped out, High Schools filled with mud and debris. 25 people have lost their life as of today, around the same amount unaccounted for.

Through all of this, I've seen what type of people live in this great state. There has been no looting, no murders and people trying to take advantage of others when their down. I see what made America great, EVERYONE I know has either donated water and canned goods or their time and labour. As sad as I am for the people of southern WV, I am filled with pride with the generosity and attitude of all the Mountaineers in this great state. We are always on the bad end of bad jokes, said to be illiterate, inbred and redneck hillbillies. I just want everyone to pay attention to the people of WV and see how we handle adversity, a lesson for the more civilised people's of the world. We are at a low point right now, but we were all raised to keep our head held high and to take care of one another. I'm proud to be a Mountaineer!

That being said, southern WV is an extremely poor area. The coal mines have been shut down over the years and there is not much else in that area as far as jobs are concerned. My Facebook is flooded with pictures of West Virginians taking tractor trailer loads of food, water and supplies to help those in their time of need. If anyone would like to help I'll leave this article with a few different ways that you could. Anything would help. Sorry for bringing this up and leaving it here, but I'd like everyone to know what we're going through right now. #MOUNTAINEERSTRONG!

m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57715a4de4b0dbb1bbbb4b1e
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:28:58 am by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:31:27 pm »
Sorry to hear that, MSJ.

It seems like extreme weather is a thing now... similarly, the town I went to uni in just had a flood very similar to one that incapacitated the town in '13. There's a meme going around the internet now because some people at the south end of town canoed from their house to Tim Horton's and the Beer Store.

Anyhow, I'm glad you aren't affected and that the north part of your state seems to be rallying around the south.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer