(TGO SPOILERS) Ishterebinth

• 99 Replies

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: July 13, 2016, 12:16:32 am »
Previous ARC discussion

I couldn't seem to post to the ARC thread, but I thought the discussion was awesome- one question I thought was interesting is concerning what type of singing Serwa will be doing. One thought I had was maybe linguistically there is a difference between a Dunyain "portion" and Kelhus's "dread portion"- perhaps dread=damned? This would point more specifically to her song being a sorcerous one.
In addition, Sorweel tells her to sing- does he know about her mundane singing in this case? True, his knowledge isn't necessary for her to act, but given her reaction to him, the fact that in that moment he touched the chorae, she saw him as "real", points toward a "correspondence of cause", no?

Also it's interesting to think about how the Dunyain all describe the legion within, alternately as 'portion' and  'fraction'. Not sure what to make of it- nor of Serwa seeing Sorweel as "real"- but I think it points to, as someone else named it, Sorwa- the ultimate power couple of the series that shall not be named?

[EDIT Madness]: For link to the ARC discussion.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:57:01 pm by Madness »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:27:45 am »
Sorweel started growing on me in WLW. I think he has came into his own in TGO, and is a genuinely great character. In so interested to see which way he goes after his revelations in Ishterebinth. I mean what's left of his face? It sent chills down my spine when Oiranous (sp?) ripped off the mask.....gnarly.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 12:37:16 am »
I couldn't seem to post to the ARC thread, but I thought the discussion was awesome

You've done exactly what I'd like to see happen, CondYoke. Thanks :).

The ARC subforum is read-only. To help that fresh start here on the TGO subforum, we thought it best to freeze the subforum and let newcomers and old readers continue the threads anew as they please. We'll see about eventually consolidating the ARC subforum threads into the TGO subforum proper but, personally, I think it's a neat part of the monument - an encapsulated time and space :).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:39:37 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 12:42:43 am »
I was gonna make a new thread for each, and let conversation continue. Maybe copy and paste first post from each?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 12:58:13 am »
I was gonna make a new thread for each, and let conversation continue. Maybe copy and paste first post from each?

I might've just moved threads to TGO subforum in that case, MSJ, you don't need to take that time.

However, if you do, maybe make the first sentence of that post a link to the previous thread?

EDIT: Though, how CondYoke has done it is also fine. You know me. Just obsessed with trying not to discourage participation :).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:59:54 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 02:31:18 am »
I'm working my way through the ARC sub forum, and would love a way to quote/ respond to thoughts you've already posted, or at least add on to the end.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 03:00:57 am »
Just copy and paste.... and maybe add who wrote it above the quote?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 03:36:54 am »
I'm working my way through the ARC sub forum, and would love a way to quote/ respond to thoughts you've already posted, or at least add on to the end.

Just copy and paste.... and maybe add who wrote it above the quote?

I'll see if I can work out an easier way for you to do this, CondYoke, but as per MSJ's suggestion:

[ quote author=MSJ ]Just copy and paste....[ /quote ] will appear as a regular quote tag with MSJ' name (written without the spaces at the beginning and end of the brackets):

Quote from: MSJ
Just copy and paste....
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 05:38:09 am »
On the singing: dread portion suggests sorcery, no doubt about it.

On the other hand they are at the exact location where sorweel was overwhelmed by the joyous and continuous song that used to fill that location, he even notes how special it was to hear the voices of women and children singing there.

Additionally, the tall has wiped out the consult leadership, and serwe doesn't need to kill potentially powerful allies.

Serwe has been conditioning the mountain with mundane singing for months, there is a huge audience because of the songbird.

Finally, torturer was afraid of her singing because she is dunyain, but he is not afraid of sorcery us singing from her, he gags her and she thinks her plot has gone to shit.

It all seems to add up to mundane singing, but it could just be more lame sorcery rather than clever dunyain tactics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 05:51:09 am »
We'll see about eventually consolidating the ARC subforum threads into the TGO subforum proper but, personally, I think it's a neat part of the monument - an encapsulated time and space :).
An obscenity! As are all monuments, all memorials. What are they but prostheses that pronounce our impotence, our debility? I may live forever, but alas, what I have lived is mortal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 05:16:29 pm »
Lol - my impotence and debility must be ridiculous ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 12:10:40 am »
So, I think why we're shown the Boy scraping the chorae across chipmunk is to show what will happen when Sorweel puts that chorae to the collar. I think the "light" the chorae makes is it negating the sorcery of Chipmunk, same as when a sorcerer is hit by a chorae. Sorweel will negate the sorcery in the collar (made by Emidilis also) and Serwa will release her dread portion.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 07:36:53 am »
As far as wether or not Serwa's singing will be mundane or not - well here is what she has to say right before they place the bag over her head and lead her to the throne room.

She did not oblige him— but not out of spite, for she cared nothing for the ghoul. She did not sing simply because the watch she had sung for had come and gone. Her next song would command fire and ruin.

Cuttlefish

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 12:58:13 pm »
I think it was pretty evident that Serwa's "song" at the end was supposed to be magic - she was gonna tear the place asunder.

Anyway, I think Ishterenbinth sections were my favourite in this last book. Sorweel is my favourite character introduced in the second trilogy, so watching him become something greater was cool. The Nonmen were wonderful; I felt sad that the Lastborn died, though. It was also interesting to get POV from Serwa, which made her come across as more sympathetic (why she treated Sorweel so cruelly revealed, etc.)

I'm curious about what the finale implied regarding her and Sorweel, though, what with her thinking of him as being "real". I got the feeling that their romance affair is gonna be a thing.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »
I think it was pretty evident that Serwa's "song" at the end was supposed to be magic - she was gonna tear the place asunder.

So did I, but have you read the ARC thread link posted at the top of this thread? I'd say it's 50/50 on wether her singing will be mundane or sorcery.