Middle East

• 4 Replies

coobek

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: October 19, 2016, 07:49:57 am »
So since I am back on the forum due to New Book, I actually thought trough last 2 years of posting this thread here.

The whole world was, and rightly so, thrown into disbelieve, disgust and terror at what happens in Syria and esspecially what is the way of action taken by ISIS.

Whole world, but I am not so suprised/although of course disgusted - I thought its Bakker novels demonstrated - its all there. The belief, the cruelty, the damnation, the Outside leaking too reality.

Did you guys have similar feelings?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:00:22 pm by coobek »

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:37:08 pm »
Whoa... Damnation and The Outside??! Lol it is just some religious extremism just like the crusades. So nothing new at all. ISIS, Al-Qaeda are all just some stupid people. It amazes me how is it that countries don't take some SERIOUS action. They just talk.Also I am an Egyptian if that counts anything.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:38:58 pm by Redeagl »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:50 pm »
I'm not sure where I fall on Terrance McKenna's theories regarding Timewave Zero but his underlying point is still made by events around the world. Things are likely to get more novel (that is unprecedented and extreme) as theirstory continues to unfold.

Anything specific you'd like to discuss therein, coobek? Also, welcome back :D!
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 09:10:01 pm »
I don't necesarily think anyone is surprised, we've been dealing with Islamic terrorism since decolonization and at least here in America, it's been a big part of the news cycle for many years now.

What is new about ISIS is how there doesn't appear to be a goal or a greater political aspiration, they really just want to kill as many people who aren't like them as possible. I've read that the average fighter doesn't understand much about Islam or its philosophy, they really are simply looking for an outlet to hurt people.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:24:03 pm »
What is new about ISIS is how there doesn't appear to be a goal or a greater political aspiration, they really just want to kill as many people who aren't like them as possible. I've read that the average fighter doesn't understand much about Islam or its philosophy, they really are simply looking for an outlet to hurt people.

I recall having read a "quote" once upon a time, probably wasn't a real quote from whoever it was attributed to, or anything anyone famous actually said, but it was essentially that actions framed with high philosophical ideals usually boil down to simple pragmatic motivators in the end.  It might be power over people, power over resources, in the end it tends to boil down to something of that ilk.  I can't help but see this in that light, as having anything to really do with Islam at all, but rather a fight over Western hegemony and people who would rather a different sort of hegemony.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira