Yearly Targets and what youve read. 2017

• 41 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 09:37:49 pm »
Never better, Beard - never better! Thanks for asking - hope you're tripping the light fantastic, yourself. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check out The Engineer.

By the way, opinion on The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss ( Kingkiller Chronicle )? A "friend" recommended it, but I don't trust him, he likes screwing people over too much.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 10:45:33 pm »
Never better, Beard - never better! Thanks for asking - hope you're tripping the light fantastic, yourself. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check out The Engineer.

By the way, opinion on The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss ( Kingkiller Chronicle )? A "friend" recommended it, but I don't trust him, he likes screwing people over too much.
I recommend Rothfuss. I enjoyed TNotW very much. The sequel, The Wise Man's Fear, is also good.

Some friend.....
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 11:59:39 pm »

I recommend Rothfuss. I enjoyed TNotW very much. The sequel, The Wise Man's Fear, is also good.

Some friend.....

I'll 2nd that, also. Another series that was very good was Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow series, very good..
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 12:57:20 am »
Thank you both, was a good idea to check with you guys, my brothers in Nothing, knowing you have good taste  ;)

Yeah, as with Begbie, my friend's a monster, but he's a mate.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 01:45:12 am »
Kingkiller is very good but it will probably never going to be finished. At least not in the foreseeable future, I will hold fire on it for the time being if I were you.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 01:48:06 am »
If you want a long epic fantasy series that is finished, you can't go wrong with Malazan "ducks". My second favourite of all time after TSA.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 01:32:19 pm »
Yeah, as with Begbie, my friend's a monster, but he's a mate.
Gotta have mates..... :)
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 06:47:35 pm »
Too funny - I did a search on "Malazan ducks" ... er, so I take it you're referring to Steven Erikson, the "ducks" comment referring to criticism of the works elsewhere in this forum? Should be obvious to all by now I'm still new to connecting on blogs and the like ( hence 3 years ago, all I did was ask some questions on Prince of Nothing and then left ... ).

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 07:37:50 pm »
That confused me, too, Tao. Redeagl should have written  <ducks>, not "ducks". The typography for stage directions is <........>.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 10:12:43 pm »
Kingkiller Chronicles is some of the best fantasy I've read. I'd definetly recommend.
This thread goes into it a bit, there might be another one or two on Rothfuss around here somewhere.

Too funny - I did a search on "Malazan ducks" ... er, so I take it you're referring to Steven Erikson, the "ducks" comment referring to criticism of the works elsewhere in this forum? Should be obvious to all by now I'm still new to connecting on blogs and the like ( hence 3 years ago, all I did was ask some questions on Prince of Nothing and then left ... ).

"Ducks" as in "ducks out of the way of incoming objects being thrown".

Malazan is acceptable, but suffers for being a bit long winded. Most of the 10 mainline series books are 1000+ pages. I made a bit of a thread about my journey through Malazan here, but in summary: Several incredible books in the series, if you've got the time to read it all, I'd highly recommend it as well.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 10:44:44 pm »
Lmao, this is hilarious. And yes, I meant the Malazan series by Steven Erikson. If you scrolled a bit through the literature sub forum here, you will know why I should duck...

That confused me, too, Tao. Redeagl should have written  <ducks>, not "ducks". The typography for stage directions is <........>.
No more Qirri for you BK.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:46:48 pm by Redeagl »

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 03:49:54 am »
Lmao, this is hilarious. And yes, I meant the Malazan series by Steven Erikson. If you scrolled a bit through the literature sub forum here, you will know why I should duck...

No more Qirri for you BK.

Lmao, Redeagl!  'S okay, I'm trying to quit, anyway. Otherwise,  it's Qirri rehab for me <shudders>.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »
Hey Beard - I'm looking up the Riddlemaster Of Hed trilogy by Patricia McKillip in wikipedia, but confused as to what to get - appears there are omnibus editions as well. Is it just the 3 books re-released later under different names or is it more than that? Let me know what the deal is, what to purchase so as to not duplicate - if such an exercise is worth your time, thanks.

The Engineer trilogy by K. J. Parker got mixed reviews, but one of your fav's you say? I know Amazon reviews is a cesspool mixed with manipulative trash from competitors and the like, but a common criticism was too much time was spent on describing "machine parts" ... what say you! Defend yourself, KNOW when you're in danger!

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 03:09:33 pm »
Hey Beard - I'm looking up the Riddlemaster Of Hed trilogy by Patricia McKillip in wikipedia, but confused as to what to get - appears there are omnibus editions as well. Is it just the 3 books re-released later under different names or is it more than that? Let me know what the deal is, what to purchase so as to not duplicate - if such an exercise is worth your time, thanks.

The Engineer trilogy by K. J. Parker got mixed reviews, but one of your fav's you say? I know Amazon reviews is a cesspool mixed with manipulative trash from competitors and the like, but a common criticism was too much time was spent on describing "machine parts" ... what say you! Defend yourself, KNOW when you're in danger!
Hey, Tao! Hope you're doing well.

Amazon reviews...if you like Bakker and grimdark generally, you'll dig the Engineer trilogy. "Too much time spent on describing 'machine parts'".... I interpret that as "ANY time"! That criticism....yeah, I hear there's a lot about whaling in Moby-Dick, also. I can't say they're my favorites, but they're high quality. There's also a stand-alone novel called, iirc, "The Company", which is superb.

I've been looking for an omnibus copy of Riddlemaster; my old paperbacks are falling apart. The three volumes are The Riddlemaster Of Hed,  Heir Of Sea And Fire, and Harpist In The Wind. Highly recommended. They're certainly not grimdark! I love 'em to death! I'm due to re-read them, matter of fact.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:05:26 pm by Beardfisher King »

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 04:27:58 pm »
Thanks, Beard! You're a love.

Ha ha, nice analogy with the Whale thing, well said - that comment makes the grade to put this on my reader-do list. Also, something doesn't have to be evil as all get out for me to like it ( admit it does help, though  8) ).

I'm sweating the beginning of The Name of the Wind ... I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great book, have to give it a chance - but then again, such greats as Bakker, et al has spoiled me and I lose patience quick ( e.g. I see nice reviews of American Gods - just couldn't get into it and after 200 pages I gave up ... I wasn't scared, intrigued or interested in the story/characters - the god of sex thing eating the man with her vagina as he worships her didn't even do it for me ). The whole Gaiman powerful beings living normal lives is getting old on me ( Odin/Wednesday robs an ATM to fund his trip to meet with the other Norse Gods to plan war with American Gods ... yawn ). I will watch the tv series ( recording it now ), though - I'm a sucker for awesome episodic television. There a thread to rant and rave about tv shows somewhere in this forum? Seems like we talk about everything else - would be cool if our shared aesthetic for fantasy translates into tv tastes as well - I bet Beard is a big Friends fan ... ).

Be warned now - I am a SLOW reader - a weakness I've struggled with my whole life ( probably have undiagnosed ADD or something ). So when TUC comes out, I'll be away for at least a month so I don't ruin it by reading spoilers here. I promise to return in less than 3 years ...