TGO in the Gemmell awards

• 16 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:42 pm »
TGO is on the longlist of the David Gemmell awards for fantasy books, go vote for it and help us in the Slog  :)  : http://www.gemmellawards.com/award-voting-2017/
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:08:09 pm »
Voted, even though I have never heard of this award.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:17:26 pm »
Voted, even though I have never heard of this award.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gemmell_Legend_Awards
It is quite well known among fantasy readers who are active online.More importantly it is well known in the circle of readers that TSA needs to penetrate in order to gain more publicity.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:25:47 pm by Redeagl »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 02:43:49 pm »
Sweet. Voted.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 10:06:09 pm »
Cast my vote for RSB. I don't think I read anything else on the longlist (!). There goes my fantasy cred....
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:47:09 am »
I voted a while ago as a result of this thread, but was just checking in to see how things went. So...did TGO not make the finals or whatever? The website's listings are different now. Are they still deciding? Am I just a moron?

Also, has anyone read any of the competition? I only ask because I basically never read new fantasy literature, primarily because I spend the allocated time mostly reading nonfiction in order to write my own fantasy bullshit, but also because I (unfairly) assume most of what the genre has to offer is going to bore me, as I am quite pretentious despite my best efforts.

I mean, is there a new "big thing" in fantasy now? That's actually good enough to get in the ring with say, KJ Parker or Guy Gavriel Kay or James Abercrombie?

I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely have no idea.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 06:51:37 pm »
Lots of good stuff out there, but obviously person prejudice will trump any external recommendation. I spend my time reading a mash up of old and new, usually old scifi and newer fantasy, but sometimes I switch it up. I should mention that 'new' doesn't usually extend to this year, but generally anything written in the last decade or two.

Scott Lynch, Courtney Schafer, Brent Weeks, Brian McClellan, and Lev Grossman are all Authors I have read in the last year and thought they wrote some great stuff.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:07:25 pm by Wilshire »

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 07:45:53 pm »
I would say that fantasy now is pretty good but this decade have been a little poor for new authors. There is only 1 spectacular ( for me at least)  author who debuted from 2010 until now.I have read and enjoyed some of the books listed but obviously Bakker blows them all from the water.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 07:17:48 pm »
Lots of good stuff out there, but obviously person prejudice will trump any external recommendation. I spend my time reading a mash up of old and new, usually old scifi and newer fantasy, but sometimes I switch it up. I should mention that 'new' doesn't usually extend to this year, but generally anything written in the last decade or two.

Scott Lynch, Courtney Schafer, Brent Weeks, Brian McClellan, and Lev Grossman are all Authors I have read in the last year and thought they wrong some great stuff.

I read the lies of locke Lamora and really enjoyed it. However i realised it was another unfinished series, and at the time the author was having personal problems so I never went back to it. I'll need to do a re-read and start the series up now there are 3 books.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:29:26 pm »
Second one oscillates between just as good and much worse than Lies. MG really enjoyed the third one but I thought it was fairly awful, though the flashback sequence was fantastic on its own in comparison to the present storyline.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:08 pm »
I'll have a look , I remember the first one being really good, so worth carrying on with it, if it turns shit i can abandon it.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 01:13:10 am »
I'm currently reading group red seas under red skies, albeit slowly. Seems great so far.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 11:53:44 pm »
I read Lies, and rhought it was decent. I don't get where all the rave reviews come from though. I have RSURS on Kindle, but have never got to it. Wilshire could you give me an honest opinion on it when finished? I'm sure I'll get around to it at some time, anyhow.

On The Mechanical, I couldn't agree more Alia. I heard a lot of good things, but never made it past a chapter or two.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 12:11:54 am »
So far its mroe the same as Lies. No point to reading it if you didn't like the first one. I think its great so far though, but I loved Lies.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 12:37:43 am »
So far its mroe the same as Lies. No point to reading it if you didn't like the first one. I think its great so far though, but I loved Lies.

Don't get me wrong...i liked the first one. It just wasn't groundbreaking as I hear so many suggest. A good review from someone I respect their tastes, that be you Wilshire, might make me bump it up on the reading list.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,