Self acclaimed grammar police

• 25 Replies

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« on: April 17, 2017, 02:24:00 am »
After seeing the game of thrones show go to shit in 2 seasons I don't think I would want to see a PON show. Plus they would Norsirai-wash everyone which would take the eastern feel of the series.

Nah think of it this way. The show isn't for the fans. its to raise capital to support Bakker writing more Earwa and other stories. Even if it becomes a clusterfuck after 1 episode, the sale of the rights would have raised enough capital to produce at LEAST 1 more book, if not a whole trilogy.

You, the original fan, lose nothing - but gain the world.
If a fan was tempted and saw it..... They will 100% lose their soul.

Fixed Wilshire's grammar.....cause it was buggin' me! (Yeah, I'm THAT guy.......)
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:06:58 pm »
I disagree with your purported 'correction'.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »
I disagree with your purported 'correction'.

Well, the subject of the sentence is "you", so it should read "you, ... , lose nothing". I think the phrase "the original fan" is a subordinate clause.

No offense, I hope,  W.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:37:09 pm »
Not at all - but I'm no wordsmith, and your efforts of enlightenment are wasted :) .

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 04:57:05 pm »
The subjunctive mood....Father, it is too far.  :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 06:20:04 pm »
That one does wrankle a bit. It's still not very clear to me though lol, sorry.
I'll split this off into a new topic so you can continue to educate me ;)

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 07:49:19 pm »
BFK is a Judge.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »
BFK is a Judge.

A Nazi. Grammar Nazi, that is.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:55:41 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 12:29:02 am »
OK.  If you were to write, "The original fan loses nothing, but gains the world.", that would be correct. If you replace "the original fan" with "you", you are moving from third person to second person, and therefore the verb form changes from "loses" and "gains" to "lose" and "gain".

Now, in your sentence, you write, "You, the original fan, loses nothing -- but gains the world." A sentence can only have one subject, and in this sentence, the subject is "you". "The original fan" is a descriptive clause that refers to the subject, "you", and so the sentence should read, "You, the original fan, lose nothing -- but gain the world."

Hope that's helpful. Thanks for starting a new thread. You moderators rock!

BFK is a Judge.

A Nazi. Grammar Nazi, that is.

Guilty as charged, gentlemen.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 01:24:48 pm »
lol, thanks for the help. I do strive for communicative clarity, but I think this falls under the scope of pedantry. I, oft accused to being a pedant myself, can at least commiserate with your affliction... We all have our own demons.

Follow up question: Is the sentence still correct without 'you' up front (leaving the rest of the corrections as-is)?

You moderators rock!
It's been a long time since we've had to do any moderating - I don't accept the compliment ;) . Nonetheless, I appreciate the sentiment.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:26:21 pm by Wilshire »

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 01:50:06 pm »
lol, thanks for the help. I do strive for communicative clarity, but I think this falls under the scope of pedantry. I, oft accused to being a pedant myself, can at least commiserate with your affliction... We all have our own demons.

Follow up question: Is the sentence still correct without 'you' up front (leaving the rest of the corrections as-is)?

If you had eliminated "you", your original sentence would have been grammatically correct. IOW, the following sentence is correct: "The original fan loses nothing -- but gains the world."

Just about all discussion about grammar could be classified as pedantry. As you say, demons.....thanks for your commiseration.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 01:59:54 pm »
That gave me some clarity. The use of both threw me off, disguising the subject from myself.

Wouldn't 'classified as pedantic', rather than 'pedantry', be more correct? - lol.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 02:42:54 pm »
You moderators rock!

It's been a long time since we've had to do any moderating - I don't accept the compliment ;) . Nonetheless, I appreciate the sentiment.
Not a moderator? Then, as Malowebi said to Kellhus, "What are you?"
Wouldn't 'classified as pedantic', rather than 'pedantry', be more correct? - lol.
<heavy sigh> Now we're getting deep in the grammatical forest, W. I think you are correct. I should have written "classified as examples of pedantry".

Always one thought too many, Wilshire!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 02:52:19 pm »
You moderators rock!

Not a moderator? Then, as Malowebi said to Kellhus, "What are you?"

Oh, I am a moderator, I just rarely do any real, actual moderating.

<heavy sigh> Now we're getting deep in the grammatical forest, W. I think you are correct. I should have written "classified as examples of pedantry".

Always one thought too many, Wilshire!
Lmao, I know where I'm going.
Conversations about grammar so quickly dissipate into meaninglessness for this reason. They become 'gotcha' scenarios and neither party is really paying attention. Just messing around.
In reality I'm glad you took the time to articulate why there was a mistake and for what reasons the correction was correct :) .

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 04:06:16 pm »
I think sincere men of good will can discuss any subject civilly and productively. Well, maybe not music.....😊. But getting heated over grammar....well, maybe only on a forum devoted to a writer. Cheers, one and all!