"What'll you have?" A celebration of cocktails, beer, wine, etc.

• 19 Replies

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:37:03 pm »
So, those Forum denizens hip to the Quorum have suffered my innumerable references to the Paper Plane cocktail. Time for a thread devoted to all things alcoholic!

The Paper Plane

3/4 oz bourbon
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz Aperol
3/4 oz Amaro Nonino

Blend ingredients in shaker with ice. Strain and serve!

This is an excellent summer cocktail. It could, in time, join such venerable drinks as the whisky sour, the Tom Collins, and the margarita.

http://www.aperol.com/int/en/aperol-world/product/cocktails-highlights

http://www.grappanonino.it/en/amaro-and-liqueurs/amaro-nonino-quintessentia

Please drink responsibly. Remember, don't drink and post!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:11:27 pm by Beardfisher King »
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:46:37 pm »
Remember, don't drink and post!

Advice I desperately need to heed ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:29:22 pm »
Gin and tonic, with a lime and on the rocks of course.

Best: Uncle Val's Botanical Gin
2nd best: Tanqueray No. 10
Acceptable: Hendricks (if you like cucumber), Bombay Sapphire (available at most bars), Tanqueray

Tanqueray No. 10 was my favorite gin until very recently, its Tanqueray's premium gin. Tanqueray's regular gin is OK.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:52:34 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:43:16 pm »
Probably should consider a Top 10 list of cocktails.

Here's mine (ranked):

1. The Manhattan
2. The Bloody Mary
3. The Old-Fashioned
4. The Paper Plane
5. The Margarita
6. Gin and Tonic
7. The Martini
8. The Screwdriver
9. The Whisky Sour
10. Rum & Coke/Jack & Coke
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:01:21 pm by Beardfisher King »
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 07:49:33 pm »
Not much of a drinker anymore, but I do love a spicy Bloody Mary every now and then.

I also like a good Gin and Tonic on the rocks.
Never liked Scotch, until a old man in town bought me a glass the cost $20, it was very good. Can't tell you the name of it but it was expensive stuff.
Also, every year around Christmas we get a bottle of Drambuie. Drink it in the rocks, good stuff.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 07:52:36 pm »
Forgot about the Bloody Mary. It bumps the White Russian.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:54:31 pm »
Also, every year around Christmas we get a bottle of Drambuie. Drink it in the rocks, good stuff.
My wife has been getting my dad a bottle of Drambuie for christmass for probably 5 years. He drinks it on the rocks as well - I can't say I'm a fan but it does have a good flavor.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 08:37:47 pm »

Never liked Scotch, until a old man in town bought me a glass the cost $20, it was very good. Can't tell you the name of it but it was expensive stuff.
I believe there's a story there, MSJ. There are plenty of candidates for that Scotch. Johnny Walker Black, Lagavulin, Glenlivet come to mind. Where's themerchant?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:43 pm »
My wife has been getting my dad a bottle of Drambuie for christmass for probably 5 years. He drinks it on the rocks as well - I can't say I'm a fan but it does have a good flavor.

My best friends dad always got a bottle for Xmas. He would share with us as we got old enough. He passed away from cancer, kind of a way to honor him. But, I actually love the stuff to boot.

I believe there's a story there, MSJ. There are plenty of candidates for that Scotch. Johnny Walker Black, Lagavulin, Glenlivet come to mind. Where's themerchant?

Not really, lol. The guy ate at the restaurant where my wife worked and I would go in and have dinner at the bar on occasion. He's loaded and I listened to his stories, he always bought me drinks to keep me around a lil longer.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 11:57:28 pm »
What's your guys favorite beers?

If I'm floating on the river or at camp for the weekend its Bud Light, because I drink a good bit and its not overly expensive.

For at home, when I'm just having a few watching a game or what have you - Heineken (my go to. I love it. I'm sure ill hear how it smells and tastes like skunk, whateva), Newcastle Brown Ale and Guinness (if I'm in the mood for something dark and thick). I'm not into the whole IPA and small brewery movement, I know a lot of people are though. But when I buy a beer I wanna like it, that shit has been hit or miss with me, around here. I know I love those 3 beers.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 01:25:47 am »

If I'm floating on the river or at camp for the weekend its Bud Light, because I drink a good bit and its not overly expensive.

For at home, when I'm just having a few watching a game or what have you - Heineken (my go to. I love it. I'm sure ill hear how it smells and tastes like skunk, whateva), Newcastle Brown Ale and Guinness (if I'm in the mood for something dark and thick). I'm not into the whole IPA and small brewery movement, I know a lot of people are though. But when I buy a beer I wanna like it, that shit has been hit or miss with me, around here. I know I love those 3 beers.

You might substitute Rolling Rock for Bud Light on your next float. Nice and light, my dear old dad switched from BL to RR and loves it. Perfect for hot summer weather.

STL is a craft beer mecca. I dig an IPA, but only if I have some food to balance the hoppiness. Guinness is always good. Warsteiner if I'm in the money (rare). I've had to put an end to my craft beer days. It's really hard to justify over $1 per bottle.

Favorite? You know, Budweiser Black Crown is pretty damn good. Good taste, not too expensive. Hard to find, though. I'm not even sure A-B still makes it. Guinness Blonde Ale also excellent. I could go on.....

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 08:48:23 am »
I'm pretty much tee-total.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 12:45:58 pm »
I'm pretty much tee-total.
Yeah, I'm also tee-total, merch. Tee-totally into drinking!  :)

Cheers, sir!

The Judging i

• Emwama
  • There is no such thing as a free lunch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 02:27:38 pm »

For a river situation: Coors Light or Michelob Ultra.

Home Drinking: Bass, Franziskaner - Hefeweizen, Thunder Canyon - Deep Canyon Amber, Lucky Buddha Enlightened Ale, Mythos - Helenic Lager, Iron Horse Brewery - Irish Death. (Coors Light if my favorite sports team is playing at home though)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 11:22:20 pm »
I don't drink.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff