The ways in which Second Apocalypse has influenced your life

• 38 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 06:02:33 pm »
I'm more conscious about behavior and what it reveals, although this eye-opener was initiated when reading Dune.

Same - my "path" to greater awareness of reality began with Herbert's works.

Yes - the "correct" order is Herbert, then Bakker ( a more complete progression is Herbert -> Simmons -> Bakker )
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 09:55:14 pm »
I'm more conscious about behavior and what it reveals, although this eye-opener was initiated when reading Dune.

Yes - the "correct" order is Herbert, then Bakker ( a more complete progression is Herbert -> Simmons -> Bakker )
Well, I at least read herbert before Simmons lol, but only just barely.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 02:29:49 pm »

That's an interesting progression, Tao.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 03:14:22 pm »

I feel like I have missed out on something reading Herbert after Bakker :(
You didn't :) Bakker is the superior writer.

As for the series influence on me, it largely affected my path to becoming an emotionless robot.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 02:16:04 pm »
I strongly reccomend reading the classic History of the Crusades and The fall of Constantinople of sir Steven Runciman - direct or indirect influences for at least the first trilogy.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 02:22:52 pm »

I feel like I have missed out on something reading Herbert after Bakker :(
You didn't :) Bakker is the superior writer.

As for the series influence on me, it largely affected my path to becoming an emotionless robot.

He's certainly a different writer, but Herbert and Simmons are masterful in their turn.

It saddens me you feel that way. Might I ask why you feel Bakker/TSA makes you feel emotionless?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 03:17:20 pm »
It saddens me you feel that way. Might I ask why you feel Bakker/TSA makes you feel emotionless?

Emotions are mostly bullshit, don't be sad W.

Perhaps we should congratulate Redeagl on becoming a self-moving soul, or at least trying to be so.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 04:27:54 pm »

Emotions are mostly bullshit, don't be sad W.

Perhaps we should congratulate Redeagl on becoming a self-moving soul, or at least trying to be so.

:(

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 04:34:51 pm »

Well, there is always a manner of degrees.  Hyperbole aside, I think we (humans) should all really strive to be less emotional in general though.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 04:41:56 pm »

Well, there is always a manner of degrees.  Hyperbole aside, I think we (humans) should all really strive to be less emotional in general though.

Indeed recognizing (to stay on track with the subject) that emotional responses arise in part due to the heuristic nature of our brains processes, and using that recognition to identify and circumvent overly emotional responses to further our ability to communicate, is an outcome I can get behind. And, thanks to TSA and Bakker, I have at least the language to understand what I just said - if not a complete scientific understand of it as piece of a greater whole.

That said, being emotionless implies, to me, more of an inability to identify at all what emotions are, which leads to a greater breakdown in communication, and therefore, is a non-ideal result - until a whole of society operates on this same level, in which case it becomes more vestigial than otherwise :) .

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 05:40:41 pm »

Indeed recognizing (to stay on track with the subject) that emotional responses arise in part due to the heuristic nature of our brains processes, and using that recognition to identify and circumvent overly emotional responses to further our ability to communicate, is an outcome I can get behind. And, thanks to TSA and Bakker, I have at least the language to understand what I just said - if not a complete scientific understand of it as piece of a greater whole.

That said, being emotionless implies, to me, more of an inability to identify at all what emotions are, which leads to a greater breakdown in communication, and therefore, is a non-ideal result - until a whole of society operates on this same level, in which case it becomes more vestigial than otherwise :) .
It's funny, I've lately started to repeat the mantra "It arises from the passions" inside my head to calm myself when something annoys/disgusts me.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 07:04:12 pm »
Quote from:  tleilaxu
It's funny, I've lately started to repeat the mantra "It arises from the passions" inside my head to calm myself when something annoys/disgusts me.

But, even then, your not recognizing your "darkness" at you're inability to control you're feelings when they don't conform to the world around you...

You say it something you heard that is annoying/disgusting. But, what are those feeling but the darkness that rises within you? Legion. Its why I don't even begin to try and understand it. You guys have a field day...or,  a years worth of tumbling down the dark hole that's philosophy. ;)
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 03:55:37 am »

But, even then, your not recognizing your "darkness" at you're inability to control you're feelings when they don't conform to the world around you...

You say it something you heard that is annoying/disgusting. But, what are those feeling but the darkness that rises within you? Legion. Its why I don't even begin to try and understand it. You guys have a field day...or,  a years worth of tumbling down the dark hole that's philosophy. ;)
What would you need philosophy for? You can just e.g. take Newton's laws and extrapolate. Just saved yourself years of reading there  8)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 03:57:47 am by tleilaxu »

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 05:39:57 am »

I always thought that argument strange. Without those feelings, is there any you?

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 12:19:14 pm »

I always thought that argument strange. Without those feelings, is there any you?

I was gonna say ... aren't emotions what makes it fun to be a human? When my father died, I thanked God for blessing me with the kind of father whose absence would make me feel so awful ... made me feel so alive, so cool to feel so deeply ... to use Bakker language, to live so hot.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:21:27 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff