[TV Spoilers] Game of Thrones (S8) [Warning: Open Spoilers]

• 251 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2017, 12:44:21 am »
You didn't lose anything interesting. And now surely we have to endure the Jon meets Dany bullshit...

I'm up to find out what happens. man the 2000's were a lonely place waiting on the books then A feast for crows comes out...

Imagine TUC only had sorweel , moe and serwa , and akka and mimara. No GO storyline or kellhus esmi and kel.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2017, 02:05:43 am »
That was alright. I laughed at Olena talking about Widow's Wail.

Wish i could have read about Jon and Dany meeting instead of watching it on some HBO adaption but there you go.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2017, 11:03:15 am »
You didn't lose anything interesting. And now surely we have to endure the Jon meets Dany bullshit...

Yep, along with more magical transportation, but this time for basically everyone.

So in three episodes now, we've had perhaps 4 things of any consequence happen, while nearly everyone has circumnavigated Westeros at least several times in the span of a couple weeks, it seems.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2017, 12:33:38 pm »
I heard that Euron may or may not actually have magical transportation? Admittedly haven't seen last night's episode yet. Will probably watch it today cause I'm going to try for another solid TUC reading session.

EDIT: You know, I actually think had Martin been still writing ahead of the show, this would have included travel time and well-crafted monologues and these last two seasons might have been three or four.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2017, 12:54:43 pm »
Conclusion of chapter 3: Littlefinger is dûnyain. Alse else is rubbish. ;D
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2017, 12:59:18 pm »
I heard that Euron may or may not actually have magical transportation? Admittedly haven't seen last night's episode yet. Will probably watch it today cause I'm going to try for another solid TUC reading session.

EDIT: You know, I actually think had Martin been still writing ahead of the show, this would have included travel time and well-crafted monologues and these last two seasons might have been three or four.

Perhaps Westeros is simply just shrinking?

I actually thought that was great advice.  Probably the sole piece of meaningful dialogue in the whole season so far...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2017, 01:17:39 pm »
Yes, I love that thousandfold thought from Petyr.

But anyway the best chapter of the season for me, despite the multiple teletransportations - maybe they have metagnostic sorcerers, well, Kellhus can be in Westeros now.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2017, 01:35:00 pm »
Yes, I love that thousandfold thought from Petyr.

But anyway the best chapter of the season for me, despite the multiple teletransportations - maybe they have metagnostic sorcerers, well, Kellhus can be in Westeros now.

Well, I am beginning to think the show is attempting to craft him into a sort of "necessary evil"-hero.  There seems to be no other reason for him being around.

Also, pretty sure one dragon will get shot down (probably Rhaegar).  This will leave two dragons, one for John and one for Daenerys.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2017, 05:18:15 pm »

I actually thought that was great advice.  Probably the sole piece of meaningful dialogue in the whole season so far...

Lol.

I actually don't have so much a hate on for the show as it's going on. I repeat though that the next four episodes better be fucking stellar.

The acting wasn't as bad as I was led to believe. I happen to like Maniac Euron. He's a proper madman. I really wish Sam healing Jorah had been fleshed out a little more (pardon the unintentional pun). Glad to know that Jorah and the Mother of Dragons will get a reunion - even if it's just Jorah being killed in front of Daenerys later.

Tyrion is great as always. Love Davos (the actor and the character). I also didn't think Bran was all that spacey, given what he's experienced and his inability to explain that to Sansa.

Feel real bad for Greyworm though.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2017, 05:40:36 pm »
It's weird. After seasons (and books) of meandering storytelling, the pacing is accelerating and converging. Strands of stories, like Jorah and Sam, do feel way too rushed. The weird thing is that the closer it moves to its finale, the more conventional it seems to become. Where once anything could happen, now less and less can. This is what I like about TUC,  Bakker manages to amplify the ambiguity instead of things getting all onesided and predictable.
Mystery denotes darkness

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2017, 05:44:54 pm »
It's weird. After seasons (and books) of meandering storytelling, the pacing is accelerating and converging. Strands of stories, like Jorah and Sam, do feel way too rushed. The weird thing is that the closer it moves to its finale, the more conventional it seems to become. Where once anything could happen, now less and less can. This is what I like about TUC,  Bakker manages to amplify the ambiguity instead of things getting all onesided and predictable.

Yeah, I agree, the show is getting more and more predictable.  Or at least, it certainly seems so.

The acting was only kind of bad for most of episode 1 and parts of 2.  3 wasn't as bad, but there seems to me to still be too many throw-away lines and attempts to be witty...

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2017, 05:47:23 pm »

Yeah, I agree, the show is getting more and more predictable.  Or at least, it certainly seems so.

The acting was only kind of bad for most of episode 1 and parts of 2.  3 wasn't as bad, but there seems to me to still be too many throw-away lines and attempts to be witty...

I was laughing at Jon scowling through scene after scene, especially the cliff scene with Tyrion. Man, are we grumpy...
Mystery denotes darkness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2017, 11:44:19 am »
Emo Jon ;).

I won't be surprised if Martin doesn't have much in the way of layered surprises like Bakker had. The transgressive narrative Martin was building in '95 did push up against a lot of conventional story-telling (and inspired a hell of a lot of knock-on authors) but I don't think he ever intended to pull, say, an Abercrombie at the end of First Law.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2017, 12:11:20 pm »
Emo Jon ;).

I won't be surprised if Martin doesn't have much in the way of layered surprises like Bakker had. The transgressive narrative Martin was building in '95 did push up against a lot of conventional story-telling (and inspired a hell of a lot of knock-on authors) but I don't think he ever intended to pull, say, an Abercrombie at the end of First Law.

Layered surprises are more suitable for prose, as images are not as ambiguous as language can be.

So the TV-series is at a disadvantage and Martin himself is doubly so. Readers will experience the future SOFAI novels as adaptations of the series, instead of the other way around, the writer riffing on his own adaptation.
Mystery denotes darkness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2017, 01:18:53 pm »
Layered surprises are more suitable for prose, as images are not as ambiguous as language can be.

I don't know that I agree with that. There's been plenty of conscious seeding going on with the TV show, maybe even more explicitly (or less subtly) in the latter seasons, post-source material.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer