[TUC Spoliers] Kellhus' children

• 2 Replies

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« on: July 16, 2017, 07:36:19 pm »
There is a scene in the White Luck Warrior where Inrilatas is talking to Kelmomas, and he says something along the lines of 'we (the kids) have inherited father's faculties in some mangled manner'.  From what we learn about Kellhus' various children over the course of TAE, it seems to me that they each represent various aspects of him.

• Kayutas - the mundane one.  Physically impressive war-leader/ prince of men. But not as great a leader as Kellhus
    Theliopa - passionless intellect.  But not as intelligent as Kellhus
    Serwa - super-sorceror.  But not a powerful as Kellhus.
    Inrilatas - deranged megalomaniac and deliberate transgressor of taboos.  Inri specifically states he cannot control himself in the way his father can

Which leaves us with Kelmomas
Has two souls which switch (possibly uncontrollably) in and out of his body.  Is a murdering psychopath.  Has a very strong need to be loved to the exclusion of his other siblings.  Cannot be seen by the Gods.
Given what the events of TUC, what does this suggest about Kellhus?
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

Cuttlefish

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:43 pm »
I think it's a reference to what Kelmomas calls "the strength"; his Dunyain talents, born out of a thousand years of breeding. If I were to rank them based on that, I think it'd go like:

Inrilatas - Has almost all of his father's strength, but none of his control.
Theliopa - Has a strength close to his father's, while lacking all social faculty. Her intellect distances her from humans.
Kayutas and Serwa - Their closeness suggests to me that they have, by the criteria of Dunyain strength, reach the same level (though Serwa is obviously more powerful due to being a sorceress). Both have inherited a good deal of their father's strength, but it is dilluted by their humaneness.
Kelmomas - Has a good deal of his father's strength, sure; perhaps on the same level as Kayutas and Serwa. Almost as insane as Inrilatas too. I think he is the weakest of Kellhus's children; his invisibility to the Gods is not a consequence of his heritage.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:35:28 pm by Cuttlefish »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:32:21 pm »
Which leaves us with Kelmomas
Has two souls which switch (possibly uncontrollably) in and out of his body.  Is a murdering psychopath.  Has a very strong need to be loved to the exclusion of his other siblings.  Cannot be seen by the Gods.
Given what the events of TUC, what does this suggest about Kellhus?

I think it's a reference to what Kelmomas calls "the strength"; his Dunyain talents, born out of a thousand years of breeding. If I were to rank them based on that, I think it'd go like:
Kelmomas - Has a good deal of his father's strength, sure; perhaps on the same level as Kayutas and Serwa. Almost as insane as Inrilatas too. I think he is the weakest of Kellhus's children; his invisibility to the Gods is not a consequence of his heritage.

I agree with Cuttlefish. What Kelmomas shows us about Kellhus is more along the lines of what happens to a dunyain who isn't trained. They go bonkers, especially when you mix in the dirty genetics of humans. It also shows, much like Inrilatas, what Kellhus might be if he had 'less control' - or imo, did not have a Mission.
One of the other conditions of possibility.