The Collected Works of Emilidis

• 59 Replies

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 10:21:13 am »
I'm under the impression that her replacement was relatively recent. Her glossary entry in TTT doesn't give a death date which should indicate her death takes place during the book.

For example, the Cutias Sarcellus entry lists his death as 4099, more than 10 years before the beginning of the holy war.

It's possible the death date wasn't included as a spoiler, but the characters who died in TTT entries were lifted straight from one glossary to the other, TAE doesn't shed any more light on it

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 05:07:09 pm »
I'm under the impression that her replacement was relatively recent. Her glossary entry in TTT doesn't give a death date which should indicate her death takes place during the book.

For example, the Cutias Sarcellus entry lists his death as 4099, more than 10 years before the beginning of the holy war.

It's possible the death date wasn't included as a spoiler, but the characters who died in TTT entries were lifted straight from one glossary to the other, TAE doesn't shed any more light on it

I think Istriya's entry in the TTT glossary doesn't have a death date because we only learned she was a skin-spy in that book (so, to avoid spoilers, like you said). Given all the other clues we have, it makes more sense that she died before early 4112 (when TTT takes place).
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:13 pm »
Would have really helped if it had been updated in TUC, but as I memtioned out, all TTT death characters are lifted with no update, albeit not on purpose.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 05:42:35 pm »
Would have really helped if it had been updated in TUC, but as I memtioned out, all TTT death characters are lifted with no update, albeit not on purpose.

Some characters who died in TTT actually got their entries updated in TUC (I remember Gothyelk was one of them), just not all of them. But yes, it's still kind of annoying if you just want to check something and have to go through TTT because the entries are incomplete in the TUC glossary.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 08:33:33 am »
IIRC, Bakker has stated that the EG is deliberately incomplete and unreliable, because it is written from an in-universe PoV. It's meant to be something compiled by actual Three Seas scholars. It's possible that nobody working on it knew when Istriya really died, or even whether she was actually dead.

Having said that, Bakker has also acknowledged that there are things in the EG that were genuinely mistakes on his part.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 12:23:47 pm »
IIRC, Bakker has stated that the EG is deliberately incomplete and unreliable, because it is written from an in-universe PoV. It's meant to be something compiled by actual Three Seas scholars. It's possible that nobody working on it knew when Istriya really died, or even whether she was actually dead.

Having said that, Bakker has also acknowledged that there are things in the EG that were genuinely mistakes on his part.

+1
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 10:26:39 am »
While it does say that there is no outwards difference in appearance between male and female Sranc that are readily apparent, this isn't the same as saying they are outwardly identical down to the genitalia.  It does mean that male and female Sranc will have the same height, build, and colouration.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2017, 01:09:19 pm »
While it does say that there is no outwards difference in appearance between male and female Sranc that are readily apparent, this isn't the same as saying they are outwardly identical down to the genitalia.  It does mean that male and female Sranc will have the same height, build, and colouration.
I think it is downright silly to claim that "no outward differences are readily apparent" is compatible with "half of them don't have the thing that is their most prominent feature in almost every damn description we have of them".

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2017, 01:38:03 pm »
These were all the works I could find from him.

The Amiolas
The Barricades
The Diurnal
The Immaculate Rim
Chipmunk
Hearth-cracker (and five other Cinderswords)
The Orthongonal (apparently he made five, all are noted as not having survived the ages).

The Agonic Collar - Maybe?
I saw note of Sheära, the Sun-skin, but couldn't confirm if it was from him or Mihtrûl.

Something else with a cool name made by Davdul (some man) was Tharmondal, the Sky-cleaver.
Note, though, that others have managed to create artifacts that are immune to Chorae, though how this happens isn't clear. But the text of the Orthogonal is what seems cool to me, his research into the 'Uncreated Creation'. Basically wanting to make an artifact that seemed natural. So assumedly one with no mark.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2017, 04:41:20 pm »

Fairly certain Harapior confirms this to Serwa in TGO?

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Sausuna!
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 05:06:03 pm »

Fairly certain Harapior confirms this to Serwa in TGO?

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Sausuna!
Thanks! I recall something like that, I'd have to check. But the only think I had on hand was TUC section that says the Mihtrûlic reputedly made it. Though, that's not really a contradiction either given his founding of it.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:17 pm »
Thanks! I recall something like that, I'd have to check. But the only think I had on hand was TUC section that says the Mihtrûlic reputedly made it. Though, that's not really a contradiction either given his founding of it.
The implication seems to be that the Agonic Collar is not a singular artefact. Like Chorae, there are several, made by various Mihtrulic artificers. The particular one Harapior put on Serwa was made by Emilidis personally, though, and was therefore more potent. At least according to Harapior.

Didn't stop Serwa anyway, of course. It is possible Agonic Collars cannot cope with the second Inutteral of the Metagnosis. Makes me wonder if they normally work by leveraging the differential between the Utteral and Inutteral in some way. (Alternatively, if more boringly, it's possible Serwa wasn't affected simply because she can choose not to feel pain.)

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 01:03:37 am »
It's more likely that it failed because its means of operation is to inflict unbearable pain so the subject can't concentrate.  That's going to be more, not less, effective against the second inutteral.  It probably failed because of Serwa's ability to disassociate from the pain, the same ability that allowed her sing to her torturers and fight a dragon while covered in three degree burns.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 11:12:26 am »
My only problem with that interpretation is that Harapior warned her not to try and cant with the Collar on after she'd proved torture didn't work on her, after all the singing and the other Nonmen saying that she tormented him. He still seemed to think the Collar would kill her if she used sorcery, even though he absolutely knew that pain had no hold over her. To me, that implies that merely being able to ignore pain shouldn't normally protect against an Agonic Collar, and that Serwa had to do something else (that Harapior could not conceive of) to defeat it.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 12:13:20 pm »
No cants of compulsion worked on her either. I think Bakker said somewhere that Kellhus had "prepared her"