Perspective and answers to open questions

• 65 Replies

JerakoKayne

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2017, 06:53:28 am »
This is perhaps my greatest question, regarding this series. Damn near everyone is damned (pardon the pun). Everyone. Save perhaps jealous favorites? Extratextual comments (and I haven't seen them all) seemed to be a very dismissive suggestion that the Gods are, quite simply,  "capricious". If there's more to it, I'm interested, but otherwise "salvation" seems no more than a whim, so far.

I wonder how much of it is that, in the author's view anyway, everything's just fuckin damned anyway. We have textual reason enough for that; the Gods have a feast. But why are people even saved, except that it feels good? What the fuck does "salvation" matter, to a soul such the author's to whom salvation seems meaningless? Is there even meaning in looking for it, or is the philosophy presented just self-effacing nihilism?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:57:43 am by JerakoKayne »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2017, 04:53:46 pm »
This is perhaps my greatest question, regarding this series. Damn near everyone is damned (pardon the pun). Everyone. Save perhaps jealous favorites? Extratextual comments (and I haven't seen them all) seemed to be a very dismissive suggestion that the Gods are, quite simply,  "capricious". If there's more to it, I'm interested, but otherwise "salvation" seems no more than a whim, so far.

I wonder how much of it is that, in the author's view anyway, everything's just fuckin damned anyway. We have textual reason enough for that; the Gods have a feast. But why are people even saved, except that it feels good? What the fuck does "salvation" matter, to a soul such the author's to whom salvation seems meaningless? Is there even meaning in looking for it, or is the philosophy presented just self-effacing nihilism?

Of the three options Bakker mentioned long ago on ZTS, Redemption is the only one we haven't seen born out in text - as Bakker confirmed that that one Nonman Erratic in TUC did.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2017, 06:26:42 pm »
What about Esmenet?
You are the fist that beats us.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2017, 06:36:27 pm »
We just don't know what the Judging Eye is yet.

It's fairly clear to me that Mimara's arc in TAE is about a "Prophetess Coming-Of-Age" story (as is Achamian's the "moving from the doubter to Wizard" narrative). Overly simplifying but TJE is about wanting to be a Witch more than anything. WLW she has some serious Judging Eye moments that she obviously hadn't experience before and has to digest, along with the dispersing the Wight of the Mountain. In TGO she settles Achamian's debate about Judging Eye vs. Dunyain and that Dunyain subsequently claims, in second person even, that she is the key to All-Things (bp). In TUC, she recognizes that her place is among the Damned and that the Ordeal and its horror is hers.

So in the case of Mimara seeing Esmenet as "saved," I just think we're supposed to know what that means by the end of TAE.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Dora Vee

• Momurai
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2017, 08:43:17 pm »
I think Esmenet and Sorweel count as among the saved. So, that's Salvation. Redemption is something different. Why would you need to redeem someone like Sorweel?
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2017, 03:28:23 am »
One of the aphorisms that opens The False Sun, as well as the passage of Kellhus in the Outside in TGO, seem to suggest that the Heavens and Hells are of the same... taste.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer