Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »
Sounding the Plate, what're people's thoughts on The Crabikiad?

What is it that the Boy, Crabicus, gets up to?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:52:00 pm »
After I reread Blood Meridian, I'll get back to you.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 04:58:51 pm »
I have no idea for the time being, and can't figure out why he has a book just for himself. Last time we saw him he wasn't far from the Agongorea, no?  So maybe it chronicle his survival in the wilderness and his philosophical changes?  I read a theory here that I really liked, it says that Crabicus will encounter a secret cult like his also nameless ancestor did in the First Apocalypse.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 05:31:17 pm »
It could be that the boy is picked up either by the Scylvendi host or Achamian and co as they head south. 

One of the storylines I expect to read in future books is one where Achamian goes to Atrithau (whose king was recently killed by CuS) and is like Seswatha, is expelled. 

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 02:49:24 am »
I'm confused ... Bakker is writing a book The Crabikiad? Will this be part of the next books proper or a side story?
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 05:36:54 pm »
I'm not sure, but I also sense a parallel coming relating to Oinaral Lastborn. Not sure if it's The Boy who's going to get that story, or Akka's and Mim's son.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 06:52:58 pm »
I have no idea for the time being, and can't figure out why he has a book just for himself. Last time we saw him he wasn't far from the Agongorea, no?  So maybe it chronicle his survival in the wilderness and his philosophical changes?  I read a theory here that I really liked, it says that Crabicus will encounter a secret cult like his also nameless ancestor did in the First Apocalypse.
Maybe not specifically a secret cult, but something that will mirror what happened during the first apocalypse. Regardless I have little idea of what the story's going to be, but I'm pretty confident the world WILL be shut-off.

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 07:08:29 pm »
Bakker's hinted we might get a look at Eanna, and that Crabicus' story doesn't have much overlap with the rest of the events of the Second Apocalypse. He might beeline east and become the equivalent of a metagnostic Shaman.

Anything other than the Eannan tribe swooping in last second with super-Tekne to save the day.

Otherwise, who knows? It's a novel chance to explore aspects of the setting through completely unconditioned eyes, with Kellhus-level intellect unbound by Dunyain ideological pursuits.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 04:36:00 pm »
I mentioned this in another thread.  But I'm wondering if Crabicus ended up following the Scylvendi to Golgatterath.  And that the Crabikiad might be the story of the boy confronting the only remaining Dunyain while the rest of the action heads south.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 05:35:51 pm »
I mentioned this in another thread.  But I'm wondering if Crabicus ended up following the Scylvendi to Golgatterath.  And that the Crabikiad might be the story of the boy confronting the only remaining Dunyain while the rest of the action heads south.

I don't know, he seemed pretty apt to get away from the Scylvendi, knowing they would want to kill him.

I think he strikes east, meeting up with Kosoter, to play the role of "the kid" and "the Judge" from Blood Meridian.

I'll leave this litterary analysys here, more for my own ease of find later than anything else.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 12:48:37 am »
I'm confused ... Bakker is writing a book The Crabikiad? Will this be part of the next books proper or a side story?

Lol, no. Bakker said here and at Zaudunyanicon that he envisions TNG as a kind of new Sagas. He's also said across those interviews and at the AMA that he's focusing on the Boy's story next (which is part of the main story), which will probably be its own book and will likely stand-alone in terms of the rest of the follow-up he's leaked so far. He said at Zaudunyanicon straight up that if he wrote it after the other two or more books of TNG that people would think it a cheap add-on so he wants to do it first.

Wilshire dubbed the Boy Crabicus and pail following along the new Sagas sentiment called Crabicus' story, The Crabikiad.

Also, noted, that Bakker didn't seem to like at all that those two fan-namings had occurred, which garnered much laughter at Zaudunyanicon.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:44:39 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 01:39:04 am »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 11:06:23 am »
I'll leave this literary analysis here, more for my own ease of find later than anything else.

Meant to say, H, great reading.

The more I reread the book itself and read about it, there are so many seeming parallels to Eärwa it's almost overwhelming...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 06:49:58 pm »
I'll leave this literary analysis here, more for my own ease of find later than anything else.

The more I reread the book itself and read about it, there are so many seeming parallels to Eärwa it's almost overwhelming...

Bakker has taught McCarthy and apparently its one of the two books always on him when he writes?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:58:40 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 07:57:06 pm »

Bakker has taught McCarthy and apparently its one of the two books always on him when he writes?

Yeah, saw that in perusing the AMA.