Akka's character development across the whole series

• 21 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« on: October 02, 2017, 10:23:43 pm »
I wanted to talk of my point of view of that. IMO, nearly all of Akka's character development happened in PoN. PoN shook Akka so hard and changed his life in not a very long time which left Akka.... Numb for the next 20 years ( Yes, including TAE. ) . I would have loved it if we got a flashback to him just after TTT' ending. He literally did nothing after it in his life except pondering PoN's events. Imagine 20 years of your life passing as if they were a day. Nothing that you really care about happening in them. 20 years. Even Mimara did nothing but make him ponder more. She wasn't Esmi, he never knew Mimara before. I think that Akka was trying in TJE-TGO to see Mimara as Esmi 2.0 . He always saw Mimara with lenses coloured by Esmi. A very very good scene in TWLW, when Mim was telling him about the Anasûrimbor family, was one of the scenes that got me feeling for Akka again. To shake his emotional numbness, something even more important in his life needed to happen than the ending of TTT ( Kellhus changing civilization forever, destroying empires and traditions. The coming of the Harbinger of the Second Apocalypse. Kellhus being the most powerful sorcerer ever, his student. All his friends dying, or betraying him. Cnaiür's revelations. Akka's torture at Iothiah and finally, his transformation into a Wizard.) . Something like, the destruction of the GO, Kellhus. And the No-God's resurrection. I can't wait to see Akka being back on form. It saddens me that this masterpiece of tragic character development isn't appreciated more. Share my Akka love people.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:28:58 pm by Redeagl »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:27:41 pm »
Next in Redeagl's character appreciation series: Cnaiür. Just joking, but I would actually love to do a post like that for Cnaiür, detailing my emotions and thoughts towards him. After TUC, I sat and thought a lot about him. And that's how Cnaiür became my second top favourite character.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 03:28:27 am »
My favorite characters ( maybe it's own thread ) are the offbeat ones: Moe Sr, Cleric, Xinemus ( his bitching out Akka on their travel back to Caraskand was classic ), Inrilatas ( was hoping he would play a larger role in the story, oh well ), Shae, the Survivor, the head on a pole. Was never warm to Akka - just too much self loathing/self pity for me. He's a great character, epic development for sure. But not much sympathy for the crying in your beer'ers in the story like Akka and Proyas. I guess I liked the action'ers of the story more than the dwellers/self-reflectors. But I raise a glass to Akka kicking some ass in TNG, he'll redeem himself to me.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:45:34 am »
I was actually kind of ambivalent towards Akka during my first read of PON, and even on my re-read (followed by catching up with the other two released books at the time, TJE and TWLW). I never thought he was a badly written character or anything, but I suppose I felt similarly to what TaoHorror said above. To some extent I still do feel that way -- my favorite characters are definitely the more "take charge" types, or at least "take action" (which is often, but not always, literally taking part in an action sequence).

However, after TGO and the re-reads that followed, and especially after TUC, I can say that my appreciation of the character has grown considerably. I think the reason for this is two-fold: firstly, Akka benefits from re-reads more than perhaps any other character in the series. His wealth of knowledge and general musings (philosophical or otherwise) had a tendency to just sort of wash over me during early read-throughs, but after returning to the text continuously and not having to focus on plot elements as much, the various instances of Akka's self-reflection, his perspective on the other characters, and all of the little side-notes regarding the worldbuilding and such are not only easier to digest, they also become more interesting the more you unravel the mysteries and concepts at play in the series.

It's especially interesting to take Akka's overrall opinion of himself and his place in the world during PON (in which he is basically a very, very heavily armed conspiracy theorist), and then contrast that with the old, crazy Wizard of TAE. In many ways Akka changed the least of all the original cast from the first book onward, but not in a negative way -- it actually makes sense given the entire premise of the Mandate and Seswatha and so on.

In terms of sheer writing, though, I would confidently argue that Achamian and Mimara are wholesale the best-realized characters from across the series (with probably Cnaiur and Kellhus coming in right on their heels). Akka and Mimara's banter, mannerisms, and interactions feel increasingly genuine as TAE progresses, and by TGO/TUC it feels like the author is effortlessly channeling these two very complex human beings.

It's funny as I think of it, but Achamian might be the main character I'm most looking forward to in the next series, if only because he will finally be pretty much the only authority people have to turn to regarding the Apocalypse that is very clearly taking place across all of Earwa. In a way it's like only now can Achamian truly become Seswatha, especially since he has some very personal reasons to hate the Consult. Almost as if everything so far has been in preparation for this section of the story.

stuslayer

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 03:50:43 pm »
I worry that Akka might not be up to the task of leader or authority, he has been both certain and unprepared to act so many times during the series.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 04:37:54 pm »
Akka's tragic storyline is the best thread throughout TSA, imo. I think I agree that he isn't as well developed - at least not as dynamic - in TAE, but he's still probably my favorite overall.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Jabberwock03

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 09:25:27 am »
I can't say I like the character, but I love his story. The guy is betrayed by everyone again and again, but he keep going, to ultimately fail at his most important purpose for him and for the world (debatable), stopping the resumption. If one of the 100 is the Luck God, then that god clearly hate Acha!
I'm waiting for him to be irredeemably broken in TNG (Acha leading the "resistance" would be to heroic to sound true in that world), maybe even joinning the consult for some reason (the dunsult turning him? bargaining his son life/soul?). That would be an awesome twist for me.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 12:36:56 pm »
If one of the 100 is the Luck God, then that god clearly hate Acha!
Anagke is the god of Fate, close enough. I think she has a particular interest in fucking with Akka.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Jabberwock03

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 01:10:22 pm »
Anagke is the god of Fate, close enough. I think she has a particular interest in fucking with Akka.

"Fuck that dude, and fuck his whole life *show the finger*"
-- Anagke, about Achamian, c.4063 - present

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 03:12:53 pm »
Quote from:  Jabberwock
I'm waiting for him to be irredeemably broken in TNG (Acha leading the "resistance" would be to heroic to sound true in that world),

Never understood this view, on Akka becoming the savior.

He is the most educated on The No-God, has somehow become a Prophet of the Past, and is no weakling wielding the Gnosis. Damnitt, Bakker doesn't have a soul if Akka don't catch a break in TNG.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 03:14:01 pm »

Lmao, Jabberwock03! Welcome to TSA!

Akka: "Why me?"
Anagke: "Why? Because I don't like you!"
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Jabberwock03

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 03:29:03 pm »
I'm waiting for him to be irredeemably broken in TNG (Acha leading the "resistance" would be to heroic to sound true in that world),

He is the most educated on The No-God, has somehow become a Prophet of the Past, and is no weakling wielding the Gnosis. Damnitt, Bakker doesn't have a soul if Akka don't catch a break in TNG.

That's why it would be so awesome to see him broken or even becoming a toy of the dunsult, because many people somehow expect him to be the savior. What a twist!
Even if I wish him the worst, I don't think Bakker will do it, it would be a big surprise.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 04:02:23 pm »

That's why it would be so awesome to see him broken or even becoming a toy of the dunsult, because many people somehow expect him to be the savior. What a twist!
Even if I wish him the worst, I don't think Bakker will do it, it would be a big surprise.

+1 ... not a fan of our Gnostic prophet, but his story line has been epic. Don't see him going Dunsult, but he could be manipulated. If we see more "war", I suspect it'll be waged by the kids ( Serwe, etc ) - also could be civil war before war with Dunsult ( although, the Dunsult being human, means Earwa already has been enduring one ) - civil war defined war among humanity, not within sovereigns, opposed to war with aliens. Could be a war of intrigue/plots/assassinations, which would be tasty.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 07:55:12 pm »

I agree that Akka will have a heroic role, but I don't think he'll be "the savior". That role is destined for Mimara, the true prophet. Akka is now playing the (still rather important) Seswatha role.

Somehow, I doubt that Anagkë (in universe) and Bakker (out of universe) will let Akka catch a break. Even if things do go "well" for him for while, as much as that can be said of a character in a "peri-apocalyptic" world (as opposed to post-apocalyptic), it's almost certain something terrible will happen to him again before the end of the series.

Very true, and very funny. :D
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 10:19:27 pm »
Quote from:  ToT
I agree that Akka will have a heroic role, but I don't think he'll be "the savior". That role is destined for Mimara, the true prophet. Akka is now playing the (still rather important) Seswatha role.

Savior is actually a poorly chosen word, more like lead humanity against TNG. Or, rather an ambassador of men, much like you suggested in Seswatha. I just hope it varies. I DO NOT want to see the Heron Spear (even though I don't believe that what stopped it the first time anyway), I want a new Seswatha. Seswatha giving those Prophet of the Past dreams and Akka making corrections and deviations.

Your right, Mimara has the "savior" role. And, I like that. And, please, please Bakker don't bring up that tapestry and never have it come up again. Its so tantalizing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:56:42 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,