A certain scene in a pool

• 4 Replies

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:37:40 pm »
The first scene of Chapter 7. Is this a dream sequence from Cnaiur's POV? I assume he must have found Moenghus floating at some point, but the worm coming out the mouth and the pool seems somewhat surreal.

I'm sure during PoN Cnaiur has an almost identical dream of Moenghus Sr. wherein a snake comes out of his mouth? I need to search either TWP or TTT.

Any thoughts?

Athorn "FB" Gallizur

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Momurai
  • The Lordlady
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 04:20:19 pm »
I've wondered whether that was Cnaiur or Moe Jr. dreaming it since the first read through. It definitely seems like a dream sequence to me regardless, and given Cnaiur's "Dunyain are worms" speech it would sorta make sense for him, but it would also make it the lone Cnaiur POV in all of TAE, no?

Weirdly, I would interpret it the same way if it was Cnaiur or his son -- that the Dunyain can act through the people they've conditioned well after their own death, and Moenghus the Dunyain has "infected" the line of Skiotha.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 05:09:35 pm »
I'm of the opinion they're the same dream changed by time. Cnaiur is haunted by symbolic dreams of Moenghus for years. Perhaps since TWP and the birth and naming of Moenghus the Younger Cnaiur has been haunted by symbolic dreams of the latter.

Given that Bakker mentioned to me he wondered what people would think of the various sections repeated across TAE pulled whole from PON, they're likely of thematic/literary importance ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:22:53 pm »
That makes sense Madness!

I was so confused on my initial read but I knew it felt familiar.

Iím gonna try and find the original dream to compare.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 05:26:08 pm »
I believe it's a Cnaiur section around when he wakes up to Conphas and Martemus talking at Kiyuth in TDTCB.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer