Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: November 24, 2017, 02:04:20 pm »
Philosophers On The Art of Morally Troubling Artists - six philosophers and one comedian tackle the title theme.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TaoHorror

• Great Name
  • Blueberry Psūkhe Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:04:13 am »
Philosophers On The Art of Morally Troubling Artists - six philosophers and one comedian tackle the title theme.

I haven't read much yet, but wanted to capture my initial response before allowing other intelligence to influence my initial position ( and  forget what it even was ). Our "work" is independent of our moral psychology ( I put it this way because I'm guessing - since I'm not like them, I can only guess - some, if not all of them, didn't "realize" they were doing anything "wrong" - of course, Bill Cosby did - but some of the harassment by others may not have been self evident ). I've encountered moral idiots produce incredible work, and the opposite and incredibly cool/great people produce excellence, and the permutations go on and on. Simply put, I have no problem still loving Bill Cosby's stand up routines ( never was much into his tv shows ) just as much as I always have and he can be sent directly to jail for his crimes. Maybe I've been influenced by "Evil is a matter of perspective" to allow for humans to show the world different "faces". It's not a question of morality to still like the art as you always have - just whether you think your "heroes" deserve a pass or elbow room negotiating morality or the law. I hesitate to give this much attention, I think most know it's completely fine to enjoy the old art ( and the new even ) of freshly revealed criminals as long as we don't provide special dispensation of justice. The BIG questions are how did it go on so long, what's it say about a lawyer knowingly representing a guilty person, etc.
Remember to brush before bed