H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2019, 11:49:52 am »
If this is a reprint of the Avalon Hill original - man, this is one fun game. Thanks for the heads up :) ... will any pre-order online from any online shop get them or from a specific site?

Yes, it's a reprint of that game.  From what I understand, it is a pretty good game, expensive and somewhat hard to find on the secondary market.

The preorder must be direct from GF9, my fault, I meant to put a link to their shop to preorder.
“I am a warrior of ages, Anasūrimbor . . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury.” -Cet’ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • Blueberry Psūkhe Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2019, 04:49:29 pm »
If this is a reprint of the Avalon Hill original - man, this is one fun game. Thanks for the heads up :) ... will any pre-order online from any online shop get them or from a specific site?

Yes, it's a reprint of that game.  From what I understand, it is a pretty good game, expensive and somewhat hard to find on the secondary market.

The preorder must be direct from GF9, my fault, I meant to put a link to their shop to preorder.

It is a very good game, I played it when I was young. They did a really nice job of balancing something that is so asymmetrical. It's funny as I read up on this, it's mentioned that Twilight Imperium was "the answer" to there having no Dune reprint for so long. I played Twilight Imperium this year for the first time and was thinking at the time that this was the first game since Dune with such a beautifully designed political component to the game, not knowing there was an ode to Dune during it's design. Twilight Imperium is the funnest game I played this year and I played about 10 new games ( all the current greats: Sythe, Terraforming Mars, Mansions of Madness, Lords of the Rings, Descent, Viticulture ... but not Gloomhaven yet ). I would put Dune in same class as all of these gems - those old Avalon Hill games were expertly designed, making them gems still today.
May your death be soon, slow and painful

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • Do you remember the words?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2019, 04:52:10 pm »
TH, I played terraforming mars. Quite a lot of fun! Though of course, winning is always fun lol. Terraforming Mars - I agree with TH's assesment above. Its quite a fun game! I like the theme, the flavor text on the cards is fun, and there's a lot of great details on the artwork. Definitely a lot of mechanics to keep track of, but ultimately not too terrible to wrap your mind around. Less going on than Scythe, for example. I managed a win on my first go, I think I got lucky with a couple cards early, but it seems you can win without needing to absolutely understand every mechanic. Just knowing the end game condition and that you can spread yourself too thinly to be effective is enough to eek out a victory. This is true for most Engine Building games though, so no surprise there.

Azul - Easy to set up, easy to play, quick (multiple games in an hour), plays well with 4... and plenty of strategy despite all that. Definitely recommended.

Castle Panic! - This is a fun cooperative game where you defend your castle against an army of incoming Orcs, goblins, and other creatures. Plays 4, is pretty fast (maybe 60-90 minutes), and is usually well balanced to where you find yourself close to losing but not necessarily overwhelmed. Short and longer play setups are present, and from what I've  gathered the longer setups tend to be much more difficult.

---

That Dune game looks entertaining. Not sure I want to spend $50 on a preorder, but its an old game that appears well loved... and bonus tokens is a pretty nice perk for simply paying retail.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:55:30 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2019, 12:58:39 pm »
I doubt it, but on the off chance there are some MechWarrior/BattleTech fans here that haven't seen this yet, I'll post it.

BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is over 1.2 million dollars right now.  Plastic redesigns of Clan and Inner Sphere mechs, plus lots of other add ons.
“I am a warrior of ages, Anasūrimbor . . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury.” -Cet’ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2019, 01:17:24 pm »
I doubt it, but on the off chance there are some MechWarrior/BattleTech fans here that haven't seen this yet, I'll post it.

BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is over 1.2 million dollars right now.  Plastic redesigns of Clan and Inner Sphere mechs, plus lots of other add ons.

I've not played it. 1.3 million KS, impressive :)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2019, 01:28:48 pm »
I've not played it. 1.3 million KS, impressive :)

It's an "old, old game."  I think this year is actually it's 35th anniversary, we played it as kids back in the early 90's.  It's a very un-Modern game, in the sense that it is relatively rules-heavy and accounting-heavy compared to any game that people would be likely to make nowadays.  But I think that honestly is part of the appeal though.

Obviously the license has been used on a number of computer games throughout the years though too.  I'm going to back that Kickstarter, not that I really play any more, but just to have and to paint.  Just haven't really decided at what level yet...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • Do you remember the words?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2019, 02:21:18 pm »
There's 15 people at the top $5k level lol. It seems this is a very popular KS.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2019, 02:53:48 pm »
There's 15 people at the top $5k level lol. It seems this is a very popular KS.

Yeah, I don't quite understand how people have 5k to drop on a game, but hey, more power to them, haha.

Indeed though, the IP itself is pretty strong.  I can see this Kickstarter coming in at 1.75 million or so, which seems supported by the data.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2019, 04:17:25 pm »
I can see this Kickstarter coming in at 1.75 million or so, which seems supported by the data.
15 days left and it's at 1.3 million - this thang is going north of 2 million when all said and done. 25% of the final number of backers pledge in the last 24 hours.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2019, 04:46:14 pm »
15 days left and it's at 1.3 million - this thang is going north of 2 million when all said and done. 25% of the final number of backers pledge in the last 24 hours.

Yeah, I think that is likely.  But I'm more apt to make conservative estimates, haha.

Anecdotally, I am usually a late backer and would be in this case as well, although probably next week, not in the last 24 hours though.