Ranking the Second Apocalypse Series (Spoiler Free)

• 2 Replies

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« on: December 31, 2017, 05:28:14 pm »
Someone on Reddit decided to rank the series and I decided to do the same.

I liked the first trilogy better than the second group overall, but the second group had some of the best and most WOW moments ever.

1. The Great Ordeal. Some characters basically “faded away” from me while others became more compelling. Some of the most well written and best scenes are in this one. Truly EXPLOSIVE in some parts.

2. The Darkness that Comes before–Picked up BIG time once there was some conflict. Contains some very intense scenes between certain people and some of that sticks with me even now.

3. The Thousand Fold Thought–I wish that the scenes didn’t constantly cut, but things got real FAST and the ending is AMAZING.

4. White Luck Warrior–Things pick up in certain parts and contains one of the best and tragic magic fights EVER. Those two characters stole the show.

5. Warrior Prophet–Had some fantastic battle scenes and character interactions, but sometimes it dragged a bit. Still emotionally charged in some parts and contains some of my favorite interactions.

6. The Judging Eye–It introduces some of the coolest characters EVER and the SLOG is amazing. Honestly, they have the best scenes. But, despite the best Moria homage, it doesn’t quite hold up to the others.

7. The Unholy Consult–This book proves that only Bakker can make certain things beautiful. Loved the poetry. However, this is the first book I RAGE QUIT on. If you love a certain follower of the Aspect Emperor and he is “THE ONE”, then I highly recommend you read very carefully. Other characters are also given the shaft or they become so irrelevant that they might as well have stayed home.

Still not that bad a book though, I was pleased with the ending(probably for the wrong reasons, but still…), and I have no regrets getting into the series overall. Highly recommended.

Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 07:31:04 pm »
I felt Bakker's writing improved as time went on, so here goes - but loved them all with the last one on the list still tastier than 99%+ of what's out there:

1) TGO
2) TTT
3) TUC
4) TJE
5) WLW
6) WP
7) TDTCB
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile