carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 02:52:20 am »
Shaking my head at the overstatement in the headline....
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:43:05 am »
But the researchers found no correlation between people's brain activity and their willingness to hypothetically harm one person in the interest of the greater good—such as silencing the baby to save more lives. Those decisions are thought to stem from more cognitive, deliberative processes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:10:35 pm »
But the researchers found no correlation between people's brain activity and their willingness to hypothetically harm one person in the interest of the greater good—such as silencing the baby to save more lives. Those decisions are thought to stem from more cognitive, deliberative processes.
I dislike the trend of misleading or downright false headlines to garner clicks.
I find myself not clicking on articles or links that I might otherwise enjoy in order to discourage that behavior - as much as one click in an ocean of them can make a difference.

A more appropriate title would unfortunately read something like 'study finds ambiguous results, requires additional research'. But your not getting any more grants with that kind of rhetoric, or article clicks.

One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:40:08 pm »
I dislike the trend of misleading or downright false headlines to garner clicks.
I find myself not clicking on articles or links that I might otherwise enjoy in order to discourage that behavior - as much as one click in an ocean of them can make a difference.

A more appropriate title would unfortunately read something like 'study finds ambiguous results, requires additional research'. But your not getting any more grants with that kind of rhetoric, or article clicks.

The problem in the title is the word "predicts," which is used differently among the authors of this paper than among laypeople.

The sentence "neural resonance predicts no correlation ..." is likely as equally confounding to some readers as it is coherent to some scientists.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 03:12:36 pm »
Mirror neuron activity and people's decision-making in moral dilemmas

Does seem to make for a better title.
One of the other conditions of possibility.