• 47 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • Do you remember the words?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 12:16:25 pm »
By 'simple enjoyment' I probably mean something akin to mass appeal.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Jabberwock03

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 02:09:49 pm »
I disliked it. Bakker killed off all my favourite characters and spared the ones I don't like. And I disliked how dense the prose got towards the end; I'm still not quite sure what happened, I don't think I'll be until he explains it in the next book. I understand it's just become his style, but I'd appreciate a clearer prose.

I agree, though, this series has just begun. I mean, it's called the Second Apocalypse, and that's literally what began in the last book.

That's why it's awesome! It's kinda unexpected from a classic fantasy POV.

Perhaps, but it's hard to follow a story when you're not that much invested in the characters that are left alive.

Not that I'm not following, though...

I can't really relate to this. I hardly ever invest myself in the characters of books. I read books more for the story, I mean the events happening, than for the people doing the things.
I can like or dislike a character, but in either case I like following them as long as it's not boring.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2018, 02:28:11 pm »
I disliked it. Bakker killed off all my favourite characters and spared the ones I don't like. And I disliked how dense the prose got towards the end; I'm still not quite sure what happened, I don't think I'll be until he explains it in the next book. I understand it's just become his style, but I'd appreciate a clearer prose.

I agree, though, this series has just begun. I mean, it's called the Second Apocalypse, and that's literally what began in the last book.

That's why it's awesome! It's kinda unexpected from a classic fantasy POV.

Perhaps, but it's hard to follow a story when you're not that much invested in the characters that are left alive.

Not that I'm not following, though...

I can't really relate to this. I hardly ever invest myself in the characters of books. I read books more for the story, I mean the events happening, than for the people doing the things.
I can like or dislike a character, but in either case I like following them as long as it's not boring.
I can relate a lot. For example, I would've never made it through God-Emperor of Dune if I didn't know (by spoiling the story a little bit) that the Tleilaxu would have a significant role to play in book 5 of the series. In TSA, I was really looking forward to finally getting to meet and talk to Shae÷nanra (outside of The False Sun of course), so of course some dreams were shattered when it turned out he had died off-screen. Luckily for me, Bakker replaced him with some perhaps even more insane characters, The Mutilated!