Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • Do you remember the words?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 12:16:59 pm »
The Scar by China Mieville (15)

Something about Mieville is just amazing. I love the way he writes - he's definitely a master, and it really just click with me. He's probably the only author I could just read on prose alone, regardless of plot and worldbuilding. The worldbuilding of New Crobuzon is convoluted and confusing, with a ridiculous amount of stuff just happening and not really explained. I get the sense that "this is normal for the characters so its not going to be explained" . The characters are quite good, the plot was fun, and despite the confusion the world is really interesting.

I think his first book, Perdido Street Station, was a little better, and I'm glad the third book returns to the city. The Scar is also a lot lighter in tone too, which is probably a good thing - Mieville uses his powers of prose for purposes other than terrifying the reader lol.

Definitely a nice sequel and I'm looking forward to Iron Council, though I think I'll take a break and read another author or two first since the books are not direct sequels.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:19:12 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 11:38:33 am »
The Tainted Crown by Meg Cowley (16)

Not great. It wasnt terrible, but its just your generic swords and sorcery fantasy. Prince becomes dethroned, takes back crown. There's a couple dragons.

On the up side, I had Black Prism by Brent Weeks in my library so I started it. Seems like it'll be great.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 11:30:45 am »
The Black Prism (Lightbringer 1) by Brent Weeks (17)

Now that's a proper book. Tight story, good worldbuilding woven into the plot, a few clever twists, and plenty of kickass magic to round it out. I've only read one other book by Weeks, and it was the first of the Night's Dawn book. This felt very similar in style, but I think ultimately its just done better. I will definitely be adding this to the  "finish this series" pile.