• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2013, 06:50:38 pm »
Quote from: Soterion
Quote from: Bakker User
Quote from: Soterion
Though it seems to be leaning toward the affirmative, I'd still like to hear what you think of

Then, is any set of repetitions and observations scientific? Then, would a hunter-gatherer noting the correlation between the onset of dark and the disappearance of the sun be an instance of scientific experimentation?

It's the one thing that I seem to lack definite understanding of vis-a-vis your version of science.

Very explicitly and specifically, yes.

As soon as a conscious organism (for our purposes, a human being) witnesses or observes some phenomenon, it projects causal temporality onto the sequence or chain of events that it observes.  This seems to be a rather inherent construct of consciousness, although I'm always hesitant to grant something's "inherent nature."

However, if we take the pure act of observing a set of repetitions, then this maintains the status of "Science" in my opinion; it is experimentation at its purest.  Instantaneously we begin to project our own values (including the representational framework of our own sensory perception) into the event we witness.  It becomes nearly impossible to physically separate true, pure science from its vulgar, irrational cultural manifestation; but conceptually, I believe that there is a scientific component to human action, and it can be isolated as this practice of pure observation/experimentation.