I wonder about Kellhus ripping his heart out..........

• 81 Replies

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2014, 01:53:08 pm »
It's hilarious in the sense that's it's laughably stupid.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2014, 08:04:26 pm »
It's hilarious in the sense that's it's laughably stupid.

The whole situation, to me, sounds kind of funny, but in a sad kinda of way. It is funny to me that a band of jokers can slap together some nonsense and convince people that it is correct. Sad, though, that there are those out there that potentially think it is a viable explanation because it appears to have some kind of community consensus.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2014, 02:23:34 am »
The irony is that WestLit is so contemptuous of the books they seem to love.
I think if you took the criticisms that they level at fantasy to heart and wrote a series along those lines you basically end up with Sanderson - who I don't think garners any particular praise there.

I browsed some threads there the other day.
The Goodkind hate thread is up to 53.
The Bakker thread I looked at was fantasizing that his career will fizzle out after TUC.
Some guy started a thread suggesting ASOIAF isn't genre, and was drowning in ad hominen attacks.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2014, 09:28:54 pm »
The Bakker thread I looked at was fantasizing that his career will fizzle out after TUC.

That is a dangerous possibility.  How popular where Neuropath and Disciple of the Dog? He need to bite the bullet and do hackwork for The Black Library writing 40K novels, he has the talent (and the taste), they have established properties, he has his own loyal following he could bring to their material... it could work.  He just needs to humble himself and root for some money.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2014, 12:16:18 am »
I have no idea what Bakker's sales are like.  To be fair, fantasy authors rarely achieve success when they switch genre e.g. fantasy to crime fiction.
I do think that he loses on his promotion and budget because sites like WestLit are sources of online opinion for marketing departments.

I totally disagree that artists should be expected to produce dross for cash.  Soul destroying shit if ever there was.  If book sales don't work out, he can stick to his academic work for primary income.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Garet Jax

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:17 pm »
He doesn't necessarily have to produce dross for cash, or humble himself and root for money.  Whatever Bakker would be willing to write, would be anything but dross in my opinion.  He has the potential to write a great work in almost any genre. 

If he continues writing for passion, including crossing multitudes of genres, I would bet he would eventually strike gold... Monetarily of course. 

That way he could either write short stories, expand tSA, or write children's stories for all I care.  Just as long as he keeps writing.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2014, 08:42:02 pm »
I think short stories in the TSA world are a good idea. A lot of people read short stories and if you read something of Bakkers that resonated and picked up tDtCB the rest is history.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2014, 11:53:10 pm »
If I recall correctly, Atrocity Tales is supposed to be exactly that... my hope is that he'll complete the anthology after TUC or take a break entirely from the world to do Semantica or publish LTG.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2014, 11:40:51 pm »
Yeah, what's worse is that they won't shut up about it, and they apparently think it's _HILARIOUS_ even though it's neither funny, nor clever, nor witty.
it is kinda clever and this is all it was intended to be originally: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pull+it+out+of+my+ass

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2014, 12:36:45 am »
Oh, it's definitely clever if you're between 4 and 10 years of age. But in my experience even 4 year olds understand that a joke stops being funny after a while and only becomes irritating, especially one that wasn't funny to begin with.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 01:41:27 pm »
I just think some folk don't like Bakker(personally) so complain about him in groups, i've seen the same forums about Martin, how he eats too much, always trying to hawk his wares and how he must letch on the females cast in the TV series etc.

My favourite complaint is the thousand thousand halls probably not having a million rooms. I suspect this is a troll point secretly mocking the other weird shit, but you can never tell a bit like Poes Law

"Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe,[1] is an Internet adage reflecting the idea that without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 04:01:35 pm »
"Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe,[1] is an Internet adage reflecting the idea that without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism."

lol thats good stuff :)

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2014, 06:08:59 pm »
Ok well so far there seems to be two options for Kellhus and the heart:

1. Kellhus performed a miracle.
2. Kellhus has the largest anal cavity in Earwa - HITB

I revealed my one and only crackpot theory so far to the Quorum, I feel it needs to be made less transient and more solid to the rigours of time. It would not do well for this information to only surface in the wake of Atrocity. Take all of this with a pinch of salt (Sorcerous or Non-Sorcerous however you please).

Let me first lay some groundwork:

1. We know Kellhus has mixed human/Nonman ancestry which can be traced back to the rape of Omindalea.
2. We know that Nonman physicality is much more than human - most of the Dunyain are physically more than human and more than a breeding programme and healthy diet would be likely to create. Inrilatus for me is a great example of this, he has "soft bones" and not "iron" bones like the Dunyain have. This ties in with my notion that most Dunyain are descendant from Nonman lineage explaining the Dunyain physicality.
3. We know little of Nonman physiology, we know they are stronger and faster than Men, we also know they continually grow (Ciogli the mountain.)
4. We know the first Anasurimbor with mixed lineage was called "Two Hearts". This could be literal or it could be figurative.

With these things in mind, what if Kellhus DID in fact rip his own heart out of his chest. The heart he had dedicated to Serwe. He is ok because he has a 2nd heart. (TimeLord style.)

Now even though this is fairly crackpot (I dont actually believe it - I believe it was a "miracle" and was the Dunyain movement of frame and place.) Although I thought I would throw this out there as I feel it is a better alternative to the HITB theory.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:01:14 pm by SilentRoamer »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2014, 06:52:34 pm »
Very nice :)

Not sure I'd say nonmen have soft bones, but otherwise seems self consistent.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2014, 07:01:39 pm »
Ok well so far there seems to be two options for Kellhus and the heart:

1. Kellhus performed a miracle.
2. Kellhus has the largest anal cavity in Earwa - HITB

3. Moenghus was standing next to him using an invisibility spell and he handed him the heart.