mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2014, 05:10:45 am »
Cishaurim watching over Kellhus in the north might also help explain how he got away from Mekeritrig.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2014, 01:02:12 pm »
Cish being the second foundation, or Fane being a Dunyain are possibilities I can accept, or at least find feasible.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2014, 06:31:07 pm »
i'm not even sure i finished foundation book1, looks like i'm missing out...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2014, 07:22:40 pm »
You should get around to book 1, its not particularly long, and its a classic ;)

The Second Foundation is basically a SPOIL ALERT (i guess) a hidden, secret society that is is many ways the opposite of the First Foundation, though with the same goal, which happens to be saving the universe.

Its kind of similar to the yin/yang of Dunyain/Cishaurim. One physical and emotionless, the other more nebulous/metaphysical and emotional. Both required to save the universe, but not to meet until the time is right. Second Foundation knows of the First, but the universe (and the other Foundation for that matter), either doesn't know or doesn't believe in the existence of the Second.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2015, 07:29:30 am »
Cishaurim watching over Kellhus in the north might also help explain how he got away from Mekeritrig.
I think he got away from Mekeritrig because Mekeritrig didn't want to kill Kellhus. He wanted to hunt Kellhus for awhile and then kill him in a very memorable way. In the process he underestimated Kellhus, because Kellhus is a Dunyain, not a human.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2015, 03:55:29 pm »
I think he got away from Mekeritrig because Mekeritrig didn't want to kill Kellhus. He wanted to hunt Kellhus for awhile and then kill him in a very memorable way. In the process he underestimated Kellhus, because Kellhus is a Dunyain, not a human.

idk, with all that Quya stuff, Mek could have done anything he wanted to Kellhus, right?  i have a hard time imagining Kellhus running faster than the geometries, so it makes me think Mek has a reason to let Kellhus go.  heck, maybe Mek didn't let Kellhus simply go after that, maybe Mek walked the sky and Kellhus didn't see him up there because Kellhus has a cognitive blind spot for humanoids being able to travel through the air.  Mek shadows Kellhus all the way to Atrithau or wherever, turning back whenever his unknown purpose is achieved.  Mek poking around ruins and crossing paths with the (allegedly) only Dunyain outside of Ishual has got to mean something

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2015, 12:30:50 am »
Its kind of similar to the yin/yang of Dunyain/Cishaurim. One physical and emotionless, the other more nebulous/metaphysical and emotional. Both required to save the universe, but not to meet until the time is right.
From a certain point of view every cishaurim is the beautiful lil dot of darkness, who comes before the solitary dod (he cannot discern their wills from it's own, so their sorcery bears no mark). They are practically compulsing the self moving soul, these magnificent bastards.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2015, 05:24:42 am »
Its kind of similar to the yin/yang of Dunyain/Cishaurim. One physical and emotionless, the other more nebulous/metaphysical and emotional. Both required to save the universe, but not to meet until the time is right.
From a certain point of view every cishaurim is the beautiful lil dot of darkness, who comes before the solitary dod (he cannot discern their wills from it's own, so their sorcery bears no mark). They are practically compulsing the self moving soul, these magnificent bastards.

i figured it might be the other way around -- they have no mark because the God is compulsing them?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:11 pm »
I think it's possible that all the explanations given for why they have no mark are just foundation-less speculation and no one knows. But that's not a very fun possibility to discuss because there's not really anything you can say about it.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2015, 08:11:20 pm »
I think it's possible that all the explanations given for why they have no mark are just foundation-less speculation and no one knows. But that's not a very fun possibility to discuss because there's not really anything you can say about it.

lol, too true -- have we left anything out?  perhaps the Psukhe is not really some other kind of magic, it is just like the gnosis/anagogis but it combines that sorcery with the aporos.  the mark appears absent but in truth it is simply being scrubbed away instantaneously!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2015, 08:16:48 pm »
Interesting thought, could be ;)

One might mention that Chorae have their own mark of some kind that is visible by The Few. Presumably, the other schools would be less (or more) afraid of the Psukhe if it stained the world like chorae do.

Imagine, whole swaths of land that appeared through their eyes as pure, irrevocable, inevitable, and unassailable death.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2015, 08:33:29 pm »
Interesting thought, could be ;)

One might mention that Chorae have their own mark of some kind that is visible by The Few. Presumably, the other schools would be less (or more) afraid of the Psukhe if it stained the world like chorae do.

Imagine, whole swaths of land that appeared through their eyes as pure, irrevocable, inevitable, and unassailable death.

i don't understand that last part! :(

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2015, 09:11:49 pm »
Schoolmen freak out when they see chorae, makes them uncomfortable. Rather than a single point in space, it would be the whole area the psuke affected.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2015, 01:43:36 am »
Chorae apparently feel like points of vast emptiness desperate to swallow you to the few, yeah. So it's not a pleasant sensation to have multiplied.