So what exactly is the Thousandfold Thought?

  • 101 Replies
  • 23222 Views

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

SilentRoamer

  • *
  • The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
  • *****
  • Posts: 478
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2014, 08:09:03 pm »
I love that scene. I dont think it is as ambiguous as a lot of people. He reaches into his own chest and pulls out Serwes heart after removing frames of reference from reality then he sets it on fire. Dude is clearly BOSS!

All hail Kellhus!

Madness

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Conversational Batman
  • Posts: 4928
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »
(click to show/hide)
When Kellhus leaves then they continue. The Conditioning in Ishual could be so strong that Kellhus never had a thought of his own. Interesting re-reading the Ishual scenes from the point of view of the Pragma as Dunyain once you know Dunyain capability.

On the other hand though - we are told Kellhus is something of a prodigy, even among the prodigious Dunyain, an outstanding Intellect standing above Genius?

Sharmat what you say about the Circumfix resonates with me - but I would add that in TWP we saw a number of hints at Kellhus humanity and I generally believe that Kellhus believes he is something more. IMO Kellhus is more, he tore Serwes heart from his own chest and set it aflame in his hand.

Watch your subforums please, SR.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MrGanondorf

  • *
  • The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Nurse Leweth
  • Posts: 1971
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2014, 04:41:35 am »
A little part of me thinks that TTT is something of a decoy planted by Moenghus.  Here is Kellhus, traveling south, not knowing what to do except to dominate circumstances according to his breeding and training.  Then a Cishaurim (which we assume IS an agent of his dad's, I guess with all the crazy shit in the books it's not impossible to think that it's a rouge) plants an idea in Kellhus head that there is a grand plan to all this madness.  Did Moe really have TTT?   Or did he just invent the notion of it to seize Kellhus attention?

Wilshire

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Enshoiya
  • Posts: 4889
  • Do you remember the words?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2014, 05:49:27 pm »
Could be, but either way, TTT clearly exists to Kellhus and
AE spoilers
(click to show/hide)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

  • *
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Horde General
  • Posts: 779
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2014, 06:26:06 am »
A little part of me thinks that TTT is something of a decoy planted by Moenghus.  Here is Kellhus, traveling south, not knowing what to do except to dominate circumstances according to his breeding and training.  Then a Cishaurim (which we assume IS an agent of his dad's, I guess with all the crazy shit in the books it's not impossible to think that it's a rouge) plants an idea in Kellhus head that there is a grand plan to all this madness.  Did Moe really have TTT?   Or did he just invent the notion of it to seize Kellhus attention?
The Cishaurim in question gladly dies simply to deliver a message, and his last words are "The Logos is without beginning or end." The fact that Moenghus motivated a man to that end is another reason I have doubts that Moenghus' ability to dominate those around him was as compromised as Kellhus believes.

And yeah TTT does seem like the kind of vague, tantalizing meaninglessness that a Dunyain would dangle in front of a worldborn. Although conversely, why would Moenghus call his son to him, if he believed him so weak and deluded?

MrGanondorf

  • *
  • The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Nurse Leweth
  • Posts: 1971
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2014, 05:18:00 pm »
I totally agree: Kellhus assessment of Moenghus' strength is way off.  How did Kellhus miss that?  Does Kellhus have a peculiar blind spot where his father is concerned or was he just playing a part in Kyudea?

Lol, I don't think Kellhus is "weak and deluded;" I just suspect that Moe has been conditioning Kellhus along a specific path.  Whatever Moe's ultimate goal is, I think he saw (decades before TTT events) that he would have to make a tool of a Dunyain to accomplish his goal.  Getting that Dunyain to believe they were actually pursuing their own grand scheme would be part of the deception.  Maybe?

Wilshire

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Enshoiya
  • Posts: 4889
  • Do you remember the words?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2014, 06:00:08 pm »
  Does Kellhus have a peculiar blind spot where his father is concerned or was he just playing a part in Kyudea?


Kellhus', or any other Dunyain's, main weakness is that they often seem to lack the ability to see their own failings. The probability trance works on probabilities and statistics. Those statistics are only as good as  the information they have, and on top of that they can still be wrong. Something with a 1% chance of occuring is dismissed in favor of the path that makes up other 99%, and most of the time they are right. However, when things go wrong, when the world conspires, when the gods interfere, or when dumb luck changes the outcomes, the Dunyain are left vulnerable.

I believe Kellhus might have failed to guess everything about his father, but his father failed as well, and didn't have enough time to backpedal to save himself. Moe is dead.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MrGanondorf

  • *
  • The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Nurse Leweth
  • Posts: 1971
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2014, 09:39:03 pm »
I'm really hoping for an Uber-Dunyain.  Kellhus is just so certain that his interpretation of faces/voices/intentions, a Dunyain on a higher level would be able to manipulate all of those appearances and just appear worldborn.

Long live Moe!!!

Wic

  • *
  • The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
  • *****
  • Posts: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2014, 06:56:35 am »
It's brought up a few times, particularly in WLW
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:36:54 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Enshoiya
  • Posts: 4889
  • Do you remember the words?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »
Watch your sub forums for spoilers
(click to show/hide)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MrGanondorf

  • *
  • The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Nurse Leweth
  • Posts: 1971
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2014, 04:48:35 pm »
It's brought up a few times, particularly in WLW
(click to show/hide)

Wic that's a great idea!  Why stop there?  So many more people to talk to!

The Sharmat

  • *
  • Old Name
  • *****
  • Horde General
  • Posts: 779
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2014, 04:32:04 am »
Watch your sub forums for spoilers
(click to show/hide)

Judging Eye Spoiler
(click to show/hide)