YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2018, 03:52:59 pm »
Quote from:  Redeagl
Ah. Looks like I just misunderstood your comment, MSJ.

You know I'm a Malazan fan, come on brother!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2018, 05:30:22 pm »
Been reading Jim Butcher's Cursor's Fury. 3rd book in the series. This one is better than the 2nd, and has potential to be as good or better than the first. Interesting magic system, great characters, plot and prose.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 03, 2018, 12:26:24 pm »
Rereading Don Quijote.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2018, 07:37:07 pm »
Been reading Jim Butcher's Cursor's Fury. 3rd book in the series. This one is better than the 2nd, and has potential to be as good or better than the first. Interesting magic system, great characters, plot and prose.

Do you like Butcher? I see his name a lot for some reason, never picked up anything by him though.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2018, 12:48:41 am »
Quote from:  Wilshire
Do you like Butcher? I see his name a lot for some reason, never picked up anything by him though.

Yes. I'm on the forth book now. I will say, that it does get a bit predictable. Follows roughly the same pattern. But, it interesting and overall it could go a ton of different ways. I just don't know how much imagination the guy has. Everyone can't be Bakker, that's for sure. Entertaining enough.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 06, 2018, 12:46:08 pm »
Good to know.

One of the interesting consequences of only reading one book per author is that I haven't encountered the problem of formulaic writing in a long time. At least not for a single author, as obviously genre tropes are a thing.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 06, 2018, 10:34:54 pm »
Quote from:  Wilshire
Good to know.

One of the interesting consequences of only reading one book per author is that I haven't encountered the problem of formulaic writing in a long time. At least not for a single author, as obviously genre tropes are a thing.

I am the type that starts a series and 1-3 plotlines really have me interested. They can gain momentum, or obviously lose it. But, no matter how often Ill say that I'll read multiple series at a time. Once finishing a book.....straight on to the next one.

Keep me updated on Altered Carbon. Loved his fantasy series, and sci-cu is growing on me. Like to hear you're thoughts. ;)

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2018, 04:12:05 am »
Read through some of "Blindsight" by Peter Watts over the weekend. Not my cuppa tea: Neuroscience Victorious.  But it's well-executed modern SF. Good plot; interesting First-Contact premise.

Reread "Perelandra" by C. S. Lewis tonight as, I suppose, a corrective. Modern science......it really does me in. Makes me glad I turn 60 this year.

I'll return to "The Worm Ouroboros" soon. I'm accustomed to the archaic, Elizabethan style now. Absolutely no science....
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2018, 01:39:53 pm »
A lot of people around here really enjoyed Blindsight. I think I give it a try. BFK, ive never gotten back to the 2nd book of Three Body Problem. I started it, but the first chapter was really.....weird? I dunno, need to push through it.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2018, 02:38:42 pm »
A lot of people around here really enjoyed Blindsight. I think I give it a try. BFK, ive never gotten back to the 2nd book of Three Body Problem. I started it, but the first chapter was really.....weird? I dunno, need to push through it.
Well, TBP just gets weirder and weirder, imho. But I recommend continuing, if only to get to the "dark forest" strategy. It's a cool scene that finds Da Shi as the pupil getting schooled. I love Da Shi, also, and he appears frequently in  "Dark Forest".
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2018, 07:30:43 pm »
Read through some of "Blindsight" by Peter Watts over the weekend. Not my cuppa tea: Neuroscience Victorious.  But it's well-executed modern SF. Good plot; interesting First-Contact premise.

Reread "Perelandra" by C. S. Lewis tonight as, I suppose, a corrective. Modern science......it really does me in. Makes me glad I turn 60 this year.

I'll return to "The Worm Ouroboros" soon. I'm accustomed to the archaic, Elizabethan style now. Absolutely no science....
I knew that would bother you. Have you rejected it entirely or will you finish it? Blindsight is one of my favorite books but Echopraxia (the sequel) is even crazier, even going into faith-based science territory.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #311 on: February 07, 2018, 09:02:43 pm »
I need to stop reading when I am tired, because I have almost no recollection at all of both Blidsight and Echopraxia at all...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2018, 03:15:49 am »

I knew that would bother you. Have you rejected it entirely or will you finish it? Blindsight is one of my favorite books but Echopraxia (the sequel) is even crazier, even going into faith-based science territory.
Thanks for asking, Tleilaxu!

Well, I did one of my typical skims....I read backwards from the ending, after maybe reading most of the first 100 pages, so I've got the plot. So in a trivial sense, I've "finished" it. I may revisit it, but the generally fatalistic and post-human tone really don't appeal to me. There's no doubt that it's very well done, but.....put it this way: I'll reread Andy Weir's "The Martian" maybe every other year for the rest of my life. I might look at a section or two of "Blindsight" on occasion.....and on those occasions, I'll probably wish that I had read something else.

I must say, though, that I'm willing to give "Echopraxia" a chance.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 08, 2018, 06:24:44 pm »
Blindsight is simply fantastic. MSJ, well worth the read.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 15, 2018, 12:14:57 am »
On Princep's Fury, by Jim Butcher. Per my last post I was having some worries about how this story was going to go. But, things are converging nicely and keeps getting more and more interesting. Have the time, definitely worth the read.