YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2018, 11:40:56 am »
Quote from:  Wilshire
the first half is all world building and setup, the next quarter stuff starts happening and the fantasy aspects start to come into play, this is also where it starts to get darker. Last quarter its something of a bloodbath and you really see what's going on.

There's definitely a lot of places the series could go, and I hope the writer continues down the path. I think this is her first publication, so hopefully the writing gets better as the story progresses beyond the first book.

Yea, just started Part III, a freaking bloodbath is the only thing you'll call it.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2018, 12:58:39 pm »
Yeah, it gets real dark. Not necessarily rape-aliens dark, but the abuse side of things (physical/emotional) between people in a relationship is pretty grinding. The Real Story dark rather than Bakker dark, though Kuang does throw in both.

I'm glad you're reading it. Maybe you and I should start a book club, books are better when you can talk about them. Unfortunately then we'd have to come up with a list of books that we both haven't read and are interested in ... And I'm still avoiding sequels so our reading habits are way different. Maybe by the time next year rolls around I'll feel like I've sampled a large enough cross section.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2018, 02:21:20 am »
I would do it....I will read whatever you throw in front of me. I don't have many biases when it comes to reading. Sure I have favorites and tend to finish a series once started, but it's hardly written in stone. I feel so bad I haven't been participating in reread section, but books keep getting my attention and I forget to get to the relevant chapter.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 28, 2018, 07:09:24 pm »
Finished The Poppy War, just now. I thought it was a great book and am very surprised that this is the authors debut novel. Sure there is room for improvement, but she is a talented writer and has good vision. There is still a lot to explore and ways that this series could go. Can't wait for the sequel.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #334 on: July 28, 2018, 08:41:43 pm »
31% in Memories of Ice and I can only say..."JESUS CHRIST." I don't think I've ever read anything like the Pannion Domin. I don't count something like Warhammer 40k. I haven't even read them in action yet and they still sound horrifying. The criminal rulers in Saltoan aren't really looking into WHY their people would turn to the Domin. I don't think the info war will help if people are desperate for an escape and they seen an opportunity. The Domin clearly preys on the vulnerable and cities like Saltoan will have plenty such people. The Crippled God does the same.

Speaking of which, I actually adore the Crippled God. So unabashedly wicked and given what happened to him, I can't say I blame him.

Quick Ben had an interesting question about survival. Personally, I think it's both a right and privileged.  The former has to be enforced, the latter is either earned or given.

ADORE the Grey Swords. The leaders seem like wonderful leaders, especially the Mortal Sword. He actually reminds me of the Kurgan. That is, if the Kurgan wasn't a violent sociopath.

Kruppe <3
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 29, 2018, 06:42:59 pm »
Quote from:  Dora Vee
ADORE the Grey Swords. The leaders seem like wonderful leaders, especially the Mortal Sword. He actually reminds me of the Kurgan. That is, if the Kurgan wasn't a violent sociopath.

You will ADORE the finale of this book for sure!

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #336 on: August 04, 2018, 03:25:15 pm »
54% in. Right now, all I have to say is: https://youtu.be/-bOKsOveYD0
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 06, 2018, 12:43:08 pm »
Its a good thing you like Kruppe. I found him hilarious as well, but he keeps showing up so if you don't appreciate him I imagine it'd be pretty irritating.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #338 on: August 06, 2018, 10:23:18 pm »
I LOVE Kruppe! Kruppe is my man! He's a delight to me! Itkovian is also someone I adore. I'm 65% complete. One of the most powerful scenes in series so far involved Itkovian.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:23:39 am by Dora Vee »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 09, 2018, 03:26:24 pm »
I'm finding American Gods extremely interesting.
Its a nice intersection of history, american folklore,  fantasy, mystery, and a discussion about modernity. Great prose, Gaiman is a hell of a writer imo.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 09, 2018, 07:07:17 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I'm finding American Gods extremely interesting.
Its a nice intersection of history, american folklore,  fantasy, mystery, and a discussion about modernity. Great prose, Gaiman is a hell of a writer imo.

Great book, it is. I loved the writing also. Though at times the prose was a bit...jarring? Not a huge complaint, all things considered to be honest. But, as you said, the combination of history and it being a fiction, fit really well. The coming to America scenes really hit the spot.

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 12, 2018, 06:32:02 pm »
Re-reading The Etched City (KJ Bishop), and The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart (Jesse Bullington).

So far, both great
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #342 on: August 22, 2018, 12:12:56 am »
87% Complete. TBH, it did feel slow at times after Capustan, but it's all roller coaster like. I remember being told that about ALL of Malazan, but it's certainly true here. Only this time, there are multiple highs. Loved what happened to those necromancers. BAAAAHA! "More wine?"

Itkovian is letting down his hair a bit with Stonny and Gruntle. So precious. <3 I wish someone would succeed in talking sense to him, but he's STUBBORN. Caladan Brood couldn't even get to him. Well, he wasn't Shield Anvil for nothing.

Ganeos needs to be told that he is in a WAR. I don't know what the hell he's expecting. Does he think the Pannion Domin feel bad about their actions? There's no Geneva Convention on the Malazan War. I don't think there are rules of engagement on that world.

Kallor, can you be any more obvious? Please? And quite frankly, now that I know about the three Elder Gods, Draconis and Nightchill didn't sound much better than him anyway. Some "liberation". K'rul is the only one who sounded decent.

Despite being so close, I suspect that there are like 200 pages left. Things are picking up for sure.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #343 on: August 25, 2018, 12:05:34 am »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 25, 2018, 02:36:57 pm »
Good post, Dora Vee!

I knew when you said the Grey Swords were your favorite that you would live the end. MoI is easily one of my favorite fantasy novels I've ever read.