What are you watching?

• 260 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2020, 02:27:22 am »
Evil - fuck, can't believe I'm still watching this stupid thing ... but it's called Evil, so I guess I am. Pretty much drive by crappy tv, but the bad guy is excellent as I said before. I wasn't going to bother bringing up this show again, but the end of the current episode had me laughing hard and loud - I'm not sure if I'm laughing at it or with it, don't know if it was intentionally supposed to be funny or what. Would like to hear some other's thoughts for anyone else watching. It's possible it's good writing if the dude is hallucinating - I will give the show some props as it kinda leaves the door open just a touch that some of this stuff is true or false, either way. That said, too many episodes were just so badly written - it's like the show is trying to have it both ways, being interestingly mysterious pared with bad stories targeting mass market audiences. Man, this show would've been so much better on cable than prime time - oh, well.

Heh I love this show, minus the Murderous Kid one which just came across as way too forced.

The ridiculousness of it all I think is very deliberate - for example the New Prophet using blowing up a beach ball to better heard the Voice of God, the very generic names for the demons, etc.
Health Resources:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12NfnxYU5ZSur-RahRNI-bNMnTjxE12vyGWmY46Xq2h0/edit

Register family with 911 services. Also mental health info & hotlines, articles, treatment assistance options, prescription assistance, legal aid, etc.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • Blueberry Psūkhe Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2020, 03:22:52 am »
Evil - fuck, can't believe I'm still watching this stupid thing ... but it's called Evil, so I guess I am. Pretty much drive by crappy tv, but the bad guy is excellent as I said before. I wasn't going to bother bringing up this show again, but the end of the current episode had me laughing hard and loud - I'm not sure if I'm laughing at it or with it, don't know if it was intentionally supposed to be funny or what. Would like to hear some other's thoughts for anyone else watching. It's possible it's good writing if the dude is hallucinating - I will give the show some props as it kinda leaves the door open just a touch that some of this stuff is true or false, either way. That said, too many episodes were just so badly written - it's like the show is trying to have it both ways, being interestingly mysterious pared with bad stories targeting mass market audiences. Man, this show would've been so much better on cable than prime time - oh, well.

Heh I love this show, minus the Murderous Kid one which just came across as way too forced.

The ridiculousness of it all I think is very deliberate - for example the New Prophet using blowing up a beach ball to better heard the Voice of God, the very generic names for the demons, etc.

Sci, you're watching it too! Cool, I have someone I can talk with about the show. Are you all caught up? I want to discuss the end of the current episode, the ending was a trip  :)

So you're saying the over-the-top stuff is presented intentionally and the story is not a victim of efficiency? Each of these episodes could be a whole season if told properly, or close to it. And each one is a popular equation: heroes encounter the foe, but either don't know it ( a lot of hits to the back of the head looking the wrong way stuff ) or underestimate the situation -> foe almost kills heroes, looks like there's no escape -> heroes win!

I mean, with them getting screwed over so often, you would think they would approach the situations more carefully by now - having each other's backs, processes to confirm safety, checking in. Also, why did they abandoned the good stuff about faith vs atheism? The show just cruises past this stuff - like the psychologist is not "growing" as she witnesses unexplained phenomena, just off to the next episode.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 03:27:01 am by TaoHorror »
May your death be soon, slow and painful

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 19, 2020, 04:42:37 am »

Sci, you're watching it too! Cool, I have someone I can talk with about the show. Are you all caught up? I want to discuss the end of the current episode, the ending was a trip  :)

So you're saying the over-the-top stuff is presented intentionally and the story is not a victim of efficiency? Each of these episodes could be a whole season if told properly, or close to it. And each one is a popular equation: heroes encounter the foe, but either don't know it ( a lot of hits to the back of the head looking the wrong way stuff ) or underestimate the situation -> foe almost kills heroes, looks like there's no escape -> heroes win!

I mean, with them getting screwed over so often, you would think they would approach the situations more carefully by now - having each other's backs, processes to confirm safety, checking in. Also, why did they abandoned the good stuff about faith vs atheism? The show just cruises past this stuff - like the psychologist is not "growing" as she witnesses unexplained phenomena, just off to the next episode.

Yeah I'm all caught up!

I do think you have a good criticism, I mean why do they rarely seem to reflect on the cases? I mean isn't it all taking a toll on them emotionally?

As to them continually getting blindsided - part of that seem to be David's belief that as "Luke Cage" - a big muscular giant of a man - he can take on most cases by himself. But he is in truth just a random dude that happens to be muscled rather than a genuine warrior and this disconnect seems to make him take on cases alone. OTOH, I think his bizarre life of travel and trials as made him somewhat accepting of potentially being hit by violence.

Admittedly I am trying to remember if the other characters have had to deal with violence to the same extent - I think not, especially since they are skeptic consultants and not "combatants" in the spiritual war David believes himself to be in.

The procedural nature of the show is something I actually like as it keeps things fresh IMO, I think trying to do too many multi-episode stories would also make it harder to toe the line between supernatural and natural without stepping over to one side or the other (which they obviously plan to do at some point...)

I do think think Bouchard is growing, but she is also flawed as much as she is strong - as is David (and arguably Ben). This actually is something I like, as I think even when faced with mundane challenges most people are slow to adapt and stubborn to change their beliefs...but what happens when the challenges ended up threatening the very Ground of your life?
Health Resources:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12NfnxYU5ZSur-RahRNI-bNMnTjxE12vyGWmY46Xq2h0/edit

Register family with 911 services. Also mental health info & hotlines, articles, treatment assistance options, prescription assistance, legal aid, etc.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2020, 01:14:05 pm »
I like your observations on the characters - maybe I'm dismissing this too quickly as I've soured on the pacing of popular television and too quick on the draw to write it off. And I like the Q discussion with you and H on Manicheanism and Gnositicism vs Evil as perspective. Not really much of a spoiler, but regarding current episode:

(click to show/hide)

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2020, 09:50:02 pm »
I like your observations on the characters - maybe I'm dismissing this too quickly as I've soured on the pacing of popular television and too quick on the draw to write it off. And I like the Q discussion with you and H on Manicheanism and Gnositicism vs Evil as perspective. Not really much of a spoiler, but regarding current episode:

(click to show/hide)

Yeah I liked it as well, I think it speaks to the banality of even supernatural evil. It's a good balance to present Evil as a Platonic force but also show that it comes from insecurity and pettiness as much as righteous anger (the Tutsi stuff in the ep).

Apparently we still don't know what's going on, as the showrunners said you could accept that the demon is just how Leland sees his therapist. In a secular sense it makes the whole thing a kind of pyramid scheme for terrible people.

One comment I liked was the idea that the cases are a feint by the forces of darkness - the crew largely ends up debunking the mundane cases sent against them but at the same time they in turn have had Evil become a greater and greater part of their lives.

Heh, I'm probably over-praising it - I can see its flaws especially in the Evil Brother episode which was just ridiculously bad - but it is probably the only show I got excited about [in the Fall Prime Time Season]. I have CBS Access but stopped caring about FBI, didn't like Discovery...hoping Pickard is good.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:52:34 pm by sciborg2 »
Health Resources:

TaoHorror

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2020, 07:53:55 pm »
I watch so much fucking television, you'all don't need to watch any of it, just wait for my reviews  ;D

I watched The Irishman. Long movie, but very well done. It was a real treat getting to see Pacino, Dinero and Pesci all on the same screen at once, pretty cool. Pacino and Dinero's parts were not new to them, but still excellent per usual. Pesci stole the show, he really strutted his acting chops in this thing. It's worth the investment, I'll put more on kinda spoilery

(click to show/hide)

I watched The Witcher. I liked it. After a few episodes, it appeared to be just a rehash of the short stories in the first book, which I read and I initially thought that was a mistake as a collection of stories with no epic tale would be boring. But stuck with it and glad I did as as an epic story does emerge. The magic is, well, hmm ... not sure what to make of it, it's very witchy and fairy tale-esc, seems both limited and unlimited and depends on the sorcerer's gifts - I guess we're supposed to learn that on our own, which is good the show doesn't hold your hand on everything - but that said, it's challenging to write overly powerful characters and abilities as you can always think, "why didn't they do that, they did it before ... ". Given the OP nature of the magic, they still did a descent job with it.

Caville did a good Witcher - not too challenging due to the lack of dialogue with the character, just brooding around being a badass, but he did it well. The monsters and lore all fairy tale style, quite a bit of violence, typical fantasy female hotty tropes and nudity ( not tasteful, but also doesn't seem too gratuitous, but that could be me becoming jaded ).

It is very well directed, doesn't hold your hand, we're on our own to piece it all together. There are time jumps with no date/time stamps, but it was fun to keep up and it beautifully weaves together toward the climax. And there are no maps either, so you're having to visualize the continent ( which has no name, it's just The Continent ). This is a strength of the show, it doesn't mire you in a historical introduction and just gets right into it.  I think you cats would dig it, not the greatest thing ever, but it's different enough and good enough to enjoy it.