Author Topic: Obligitory music thread. (or What Are You Listening To Right Now)  (Read 25147 times)

Somnambulist

• Incontinent Water-bearer
  • The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
Re: Obligitory music thread. (or What Are You Listening To Right Now)
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2017, 08:14:49 pm »
Group Four, Massive Attack (wayback Wednesday, apparently).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HnF5T4Neuc
No whistling on the slog!

Beardfisher King

• Momurai
  • The Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2017, 08:49:12 pm »
I am working my way through a series of podcasts from a radio show on XRAY-FM, a public radio station in Portland, Oregon. Called "The PM Show", it features progressive rock, jazz fusion and related styles. I discovered an East Coast band named Frogg Cafe, which began as a Frank Zappa tribute band. First-rate.
"TELL...ME...WHAT...DO...YOU...SEE?" Man, how do you even start to answer that fucking question, when you're bombed off your ass on anpoi and higher than the fucking Nail of Heaven?

Beardfisher King

• Momurai
  • The Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2017, 03:12:00 pm »
Still working my way through "The PM Show" podcasts. The most recent ones featured Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick" in its entirety. Classic 70's prog.

As for new bands, I'm also digging Thirteen Of Everything and their album "Welcome, Humans". I kid you not,  that's the title.
"TELL...ME...WHAT...DO...YOU...SEE?" Man, how do you even start to answer that fucking question, when you're bombed off your ass on anpoi and higher than the fucking Nail of Heaven?

Beardfisher King

• Momurai
  • The Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2017, 11:05:54 am »
H. recommended two acoustic indie/folk artists yesterday. The late Jason Molina and Joanna Newsom. Check them out.

H

• The Honourable H
  • The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2017, 01:23:47 pm »
H. recommended two acoustic indie/folk artists yesterday. The late Jason Molina and Joanna Newsom. Check them out.

Indeed, two stellar artists.

Not sure if you know of Iron & Wine, but he is also fantastic (at least the older stuff is, kind of lost track now).
“I am a warrior of ages, Anasūrimbor . . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury.” -Cet’ingira

Beardfisher King

• Momurai
  • The Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2017, 03:12:20 pm »

Indeed, two stellar artists.

Not sure if you know of Iron & Wine, but he is also fantastic (at least the older stuff is, kind of lost track now).
Don't know about Iron & Wine, but I sure dig Sippin' Wine!
<ba dum tish>

Beardfisher King

• Momurai
  • The Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2017, 08:26:29 pm »
On a sombre note, Allan Holdsworth passed away last weekend at age 70. He was certainly one of the finest electric guitar soloists of his time. He was a master of modern harmonic theory, and his extended, fluid and discursive solos often remind me of those excellent tracking shots that only skilled film directors can accomplish. And his pellucid, warbly "singing" tone.....no words. As a youngster, Allan wanted to learn to play a wind instrument, because he was captivated by the expressive quality of saxophones and flutes.

Here's a link to a live performance from 1986. Allan was at the peak of his powers, the band is great, and the recording is good. RIP, Allan.

https://youtu.be/2TzfgjHDSRU

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:28:39 pm by Beardfisher King »

Beardfisher King

• Momurai
  • The Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2017, 10:49:04 am »
My general tastes? Classical/baroque periods, Stravinsky, Chopin. Almost no modern classical. Prog rock, jazz fusion, singer-songwriters (Dan Fogelberg, Joni Mitchell), folk, bluegrass, Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett. Animals As Leaders, the current incarnation of King Crimson, Rush (especially late-period, such as Clockwork Angels,  Counterparts), mid-70s Yes, mid-70s Genesis.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:03:25 am by Beardfisher King »