Summon 4channers?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 08:40:01 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I think there's a bbcode for summoning? ?

I'm definitely not using the word meme as its been popularized in culture. Though the Internet Meme is a meme. But it is a medium and I'd never want to constrain those ideas so of course we could make one.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 08:40:06 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I think its funny that most people don't know what a meme actually is. They think it an invention of the internet in the past couple of years.

But yeah, I almost said summon 4chan above but didnt, and making some internet memes would be comical, though i hazard no one would take notice.

So what if you do google the phrase "who are the dunyain?"
first link is sffworld.com
second link is here, pointed to the "Saccarees & the Dunyain" thread.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 08:41:50 pm »
This was an obviously omitted thought.

I thought about making a self-referential thread topic - I mean, we're literally not tacking down the more important part of the process, which is directing their search of the mystery - but... meh?

Lol, any tangible idea we have about the dissemination of the Second Apocalypse network is awesome to me. How cool would it be to know we could put word out, worldwide as far as we extend at a moments notice? It's already happening, incidentally - people interact with the forum and then go off and have X number of interactions, directly relating to the initial interactions -  I'm just talking about articulating the process.

+1 for Thoughts, always.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 08:41:55 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Neurons & Octopi

Where does our network extend to? I've never attempted a viral campaign before but I've a lifetime of experience with local band promoters & studying social networks. I'm sure there is an untapped wealth of thought here on Second Apocalypse.

Self-reflection becomes important because interaction in perusing the mystery lead people back to these very words. Likewise, this is suggested as an experiment to yield information - I'm curious as to where our growing noosphere extends to and to cultivate tools for better disseminating information in general.

I used tentacles of the Octopus as an example of visual imagery - for someone who stares at brain scans as frequently as I do, another could be the staining of neurons and the nervous system in general. We are the nervous system of this community and a decent sample of Bakker fandom.

Octopus is a bad analogy/metaphor.  Hubs don't really facilitate a strong network effect, hubs facilitate a weak network effect.

A web, on the other hand, has multiple nodes and very strong network effects, much more so than a hub oriented network.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:00 pm »
This is true. I just wondered at the unavoidable side of effect of the forum - this place probably receives the most traffic from fans actually waiting to buy and read his next books?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:06 pm »
This is true. I just wondered at the unavoidable side of effect of the forum - this place probably receives the most traffic from fans actually waiting to buy and read his next books?
Promote buying ebook editions of the books for re-read computer based text search purposes?  Amazon etc links in the various fora?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:10 pm »
Hm. I just had this conversation today with a friend of mine who does this for a living.

As we know, the point of a viral campaign isn't actually to get sales specifically, though, obviously that is an intended by-product. Its simply to generate interest and, possibly, replicate a message - in this case, "Who are the Dunyain?" is self-reflective because it gets people asking the question but ultimately if we could attach http://www.rscottbakker.com to anything would be best.

A couple highlights from that conversation - though, not exactly my best time for remembering or writing, long day.

She said the most successful campaigns she's run are one's that involve human interaction. She talked about having a Flash Choir to raise awareness for a newly opened civic center - Darth Vader walked into wherever they were and began conducting the singers in the Star Wars Anthem. Camera's are ubiquitous so the event made it onto youtube from a bunch of different angles and in all the video comments my friend's company made comments explaining the story.

Also, my friend had said that you explain these things to the press before hand - so that really only people in a community are kept dark.

Obviously, these are full-PR campaigns she's talking about. Just interesting stuff. I'm always a fan of disseminating information but have never really engaged it as a thought until now.

Another thing - she's said there has never been a notable advertising or viral campaign for books ever - excluding movies. Book advertising isn't talked about in industry apparently - this is a girl who both went to school for this stuff and has run and been a part of several major ad campaigns in Ottawa.

Also, that there's never been any type of Flash event done in a Chapter's.

Lastly, from my sleep & study addled brain, she mentioned that her immediate thought would be to have people do like a Flash Larp of a scene from the books - recognition isn't an issue.

Always just thoughts.

EDIT: She +1'd the ultimate goal is "Disseminate a message simultaneously to as many major centers worldwide." Obviously, sounding our network is the first step to on the ladder.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:16 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
I nominate NOT doing a flash LARP of the 'who are the Dunyain' scene.

Unless you like jail.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:22 pm »
Lmao. Wow. Though, anyone doing a roleplay of the Who are the Dunyain scene would probably enjoy jail ;).

Nah, if it ever came to that I've suggest one of the battle scenes - like Cnaiur and Sarcellus or something (though I have a friend who's only really into Disciple suggest that he'd dress up as a Detective and like stand-in Chapter's reading a chapter).

Lol, whatever happens, we're laying some ground work in my mind.

I'd be ecstatic if we did like homogenous chalk stencils or stickers or something, in as many different countries worldwide again, in major city centers - "Who are the Dunyain?"

Anyhow, just brainstorms.

+1 for No Jail - though, my friend said if you tell the press before hand, there is very little risk of any kind of reprimand. Apparently, a couple years ago a company used an eighteen wheeler to block five lanes of LA traffic for a twenty minute show and though the City made a big deal of being upset, no one was even fined. All over American papers the next day.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:27 pm »
Pulp-o-mizer[/b]

Jokes ;). Clearly stole the generated one.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:33 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Quote from: Wilshire
I agree that it will likely steadily increase, but lets just hope its at a rate fast enough to keep him writing full time. Children get expensive fast I'd imagine.
I doubt he will ever break out of the midlist author range where he is at now, or at least not with TSA stuff. If only more people would read Disciple of the Dog... that is a book that could really take off. Its entertaining and a quick read but still with the flavor of Bakker. If anyone here hasn't read this book, get too it. It is much easier to convince people to read a 300ish page book than huge series.
Besides it only took him 3 months to write that so he could probably publish a Disciple Manning book every year to keep the cash flowing, whilst continuing to write his more epic novels.
I agree, it's less of a steep difficulty curve (emotionally!) with the Manning novels. Better entry point. I suspect that the detective novel area is rather stagnant - the audience has pretty much chosen their fave authors, not alot of cross over. Maybe we could bully Scott into doing a kick starter or something for a latter Manning novel, if the traditional publishing methods fail? >:)

Lets face it, the whole book selling biz isn't a board game where there is a solution on how to win - it's largely a fuzzy wilderness. It's just that some haven't mastered the wilderness, but know how to put it in between their cosy position and an up and comers path.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:50 pm »
Getting a logline for the series would be good as well.  A log line is a one to three sentence description/encapsulation of the series (single clause sentences, btw), and is one of the more effective ways of creating audience buy in, if your logline isn't offputting.

you could have different log lines for different audiences.  For example, I 'sold' a few people in line for ADWD signing on Bakker by describing it as 'an epic fantasy with heroines who are prostitutes not princesses'  they loved that approach, but on the majority of audiences, that would not be a good sell.  In that example, you have an audience who already has a big 'buy-in' within the genre and you create interest by emphasizing a unique/different/'new' quality to get them to sample.

First, you want to get more support from genre readers, so you need a strong logline to recruit a greater percentage of the niche audience.  Right now, probably 95% of epic fantasy readers have read Lord of the Rings.  Post-HBO, probably 75% of epic fantasy readers have read A Song of Ice and Fire.  Pre-HBO, that was probably more like 25%.  Bakker is probably at sub 5% and step one would be to increase that readership in genre.

But you want more than one approach, you would want a logline for the series that would sell it to people who watch game of thrones but don't typically participate in reading the genre. 

You want a logline approach for the series that sells it to people who are readers or intellects who disdain the genre--but such people usually relish a good 'exception to the rule'.

And all of these approaches should be internally consistent and somewhat unified, they shouldn't be self contradictory.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:00 pm »
There was a thread that never really took off: PON for Twits[/b] was probably an off-putting topic... One of the first few threads, relegated to the last page of Misc. Chatter.

I found it a challenge then and do now, lockesnow.