TSA related art and stuff.

  • 224 Replies
  • 59192 Views

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »
Quote from: themerchant
Wow, swinging Enshoiya around is dangerous, surely Bakker peeps know this  ;-)

EDITS: typos and spelling mistakes, a lot of them in so little words, oops.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:36 pm »
Quote from: Swense
If anyone has seen the new movie Prometheus, the hairless "precursor" alien at the beginning looked strangely like a Nonmen, except maybe minus the whole beauty aspect.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:43 pm »
Quote from: Sideris
The Engineers do have that vague Nonman thing going on. Even if they are a bit fugly with their Uncanny Valley faces.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:48 pm »
Quote from: Madness
The Art of David Rankine[/b] - The artist of my favorite covers of PON.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:53 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
Quote from: Sideris
The Engineers do have that vague Nonman thing going on. Even if they are a bit fugly with their Uncanny Valley faces.

Yeah. But I think the Nonmen are described as having a weird alien quality, almost a bit "Uncanny Valley", even if their features are symmetrically perfect and they have bodies like statues of Greek gods.

Sort of like this:


What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 09:03:00 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I wonder if the Nonmen women where hot?

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2013, 09:03:05 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
Quote from: Wilshire
I wonder if the Nonmen women where hot?

Well, the Sranc and male Nonmen are described as having "a harsh beauty", so I guess the same goes for the Nonwomen.

I don't know how much sexual dimorphism they had. From the TTT appendix, we do know that at least one human man was punished by the Nonmen for fucking a Nonwoman. So I guess that some dudes were into them.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2013, 09:04:56 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Wonder why the Inchoroi decided to use the Men as templates and not the women?

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:01 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Quote from: Madness
One thought, Callan.

Those suggestions about balance and letting men be objectified instead of women for awhile are still sexist.
An old post to respond to, but
Quote
Objectification, as we understand it, is reprehensible. Being attracted to somebody is necessary. And there’s somewhere in between there that’s where we’re going to live.
Good quote dharmakirti brought up at the TPB

I'm not sure if mat still posts. I let that cool, anyway.

More on topic, jmcdonagh' art is pretty much hitting the nail on the head, it seems! The nonman chariot had me boggled at first at the incongruance, until I recognised it. Which seemed part of the art, particularly in how the ground is almost just a simple line and the non central positioning of the chariot is at a non sequetuer position. Via the minimalism I think it really emphasised how out of place that is.

Wilshire, probably the aggression levels. Easier to amplify what is there, rather than have to build it from scratch (well, women can get aggressive, but it usually takes alot to get there (IMO - probably more inclined to do so in protecting children/their children - that's no good for a weapon race, really))

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:07 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
Quote from: Callan S.
More on topic, jmcdonagh' art is pretty much hitting the nail on the head, it seems

Yep. I especially like the stark black-and-white contrasts, since the story takes place in a world with a black-and-white moral code (absolute damnation after death or absolute salvation), while almost all characters are what we'd call "morally grey".

I always thought PON would be well suited as a Japanese graphic novel, for several reasons, and this visual touch is one of them. It's literally an universe of blacks and whites. 

Quote
Wilshire, probably the aggression levels. Easier to amplify what is there, rather than have to build it from scratch (well, women can get aggressive, but it usually takes alot to get there (IMO - probably more inclined to do so in protecting children/their children - that's no good for a weapon race, really))

Although the female Sranc seem to have the same aggression levels as the male ones. If I remember the TTT appendix right, a lot of pregnant Sranc fought in battles during the first Apocalypse.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Quote from: Auriga
If I remember the TTT appendix right, a lot of pregnant Sranc fought in battles during the first Apocalypse.

+1.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:17 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Since presumably the physical differences are similar in Male/Female Nonmen as they are in Male/Female humans, I'd imagine that at the reduced size the the sranc are (compared to Nonmen) it would probably be difficult to tell apart those physical differences. The Inchoroi likely did use both men and women Nonmen as templates, though the sranc genders ended up being about the same once everything was said and done.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:21 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
Quote
Since presumably the physical differences are similar in Male/Female Nonmen as they are in Male/Female humans, I'd imagine that at the reduced size the the sranc are (compared to Nonmen) it would probably be difficult to tell apart those physical differences.

The Sranc only have the faces of Nonmen, not their bodies. Going by descriptions, they seem to have simian bodies. They also have dog-like legs, to let them run faster on all fours (in WLW, only the lightest cavalry can outrun the Sranc, while the heavy knights get taken down). And they're very short, probably because their makers wanted them to have small energy-conserving bodies that don't need much food.

I dunno how physically different the faces of Nonmen and Nonwomen are, since we have no living Nonwomen to compare with. That's the only way to tell genders with Sranc (that, and the lack of constant raging boners in female Sranc - although, knowing Bakker, they might be shemales), since their bodies are about as unisex as those of dogs and apes.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:27 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Quote from: Auriga
Quote
Since presumably the physical differences are similar in Male/Female Nonmen as they are in Male/Female humans, I'd imagine that at the reduced size the the sranc are (compared to Nonmen) it would probably be difficult to tell apart those physical differences.

The Sranc only have the faces of Nonmen, not their bodies. Going by descriptions, they seem to have simian bodies. They also have dog-like legs, to let them run faster on all fours (in WLW, only the lightest cavalry can outrun the Sranc, while the heavy knights get taken down). And they're very short, probably because their makers wanted them to have small energy-conserving bodies that don't need much food.

I dunno how physically different the faces of Nonmen and Nonwomen are, since we have no living Nonwomen to compare with. That's the only way to tell genders with Sranc (that, and the lack of constant raging boners in female Sranc - although, knowing Bakker, they might be shemales), since their bodies are about as unisex as those of dogs and apes.

Also smaller mammals reproduce more often with larger litters and have shorter cycles to carry to term.  The inchoroi probably wanted something small enough to allow more than one offspring per female per term.

What Came Before

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Emwama
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:33 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Quote from: Auriga
Quote
Since presumably the physical differences are similar in Male/Female Nonmen as they are in Male/Female humans, I'd imagine that at the reduced size the the sranc are (compared to Nonmen) it would probably be difficult to tell apart those physical differences.

The Sranc only have the faces of Nonmen, not their bodies. Going by descriptions, they seem to have simian bodies. They also have dog-like legs, to let them run faster on all fours (in WLW, only the lightest cavalry can outrun the Sranc, while the heavy knights get taken down). And they're very short, probably because their makers wanted them to have small energy-conserving bodies that don't need much food.

I dunno how physically different the faces of Nonmen and Nonwomen are, since we have no living Nonwomen to compare with. That's the only way to tell genders with Sranc (that, and the lack of constant raging boners in female Sranc - although, knowing Bakker, they might be shemales), since their bodies are about as unisex as those of dogs and apes.

Also smaller mammals reproduce more often with larger litters and have shorter cycles to carry to term.  The inchoroi probably wanted something small enough to allow more than one offspring per female per term.