What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:06 am »
Quote from: jan
well said mr madness:)

Have been listening to the psychedelic salon podcasts lately,and so far I am amazed by this man(Mckenna)
You should check it out,but I have a feeling you already have:)
For a man who has "taken his whole bodyweight in psilosybin mushrooms"(Bill Hicks quote),his theories are often so out of this world,that im left dumbstruck:)
His voice is amazing too,and he has this almost magical poetic touch with words.Like his brother said"He could read from the phonebook and it would come out as profound knowledge":)

He is like Kellhus without muscles:)

I have "food of the goods",but I have not read all of it yet.Since English is my second language,it takes a lot of effort to grasp the theories.It is shame that 90% of my field of interest regarding books are only available in English

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:12 am »
Quote from: Madness
Ah, Bill Hicks. Another of the great lost voices.

It's simply the way of the wind, jan - English is the language of the day, the language of our library. Tomorrow all philosophy and art (literature) might be teased within some Suni dialect. Its a pity that we don't foster more of a multilinguisitic world because there are trackless ways of expression available through multiple languages - the oft cited example is a Middle Eastern tongue with seventy-two words to express different kinds of love.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:20 am »
Quote from: Garet Jax
Is anyone familiar with Peter V. Brett and his Demon Cycle?  The series has been recommended to me several times and if it wasn't for my reread, I would have just jumped into it.  Any thoughts?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:25 am »
Quote from: Curethan
It's alright Garet.
Lurches from cool ideas and badass characters to meandering soap-opera. 
Enjoyed it overall, but its not gonna change your world.
Easy read and fairly good fun imo.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:30 am »
Quote from: coobek
You should check ANdrzej Sapkowski and his books about The WItcher. Obviously a famous RPG gamed The Witcher 1 & 2 are derived from the series.

I know he was translated into many European languages and big hit in all EEurope countries but not sure what is available in English. Unfortunately a lot of the charm of the stories lies in a very god use of old Slavic vocabulary, which I presume is not translatetable into English very well.

But the stories and especially characters are very,very well build and its another strength of the books.

When I think of my fav books I always must choose between Tolkien, Sapkowski and RSB.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:35 am »
+1 for Perspective, coobek.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:40 am »
Quote from: WillemB
Garet, I agree with Curethan. 

The Demon Cycle stuff is entertaining and well told, but is not exactly brain food; no resonance beyond the pages of the book, that is.  I'll probably pick up the next Demon Cycle book when it is released later in the year.  Be warned, the upcoming release will be book three of a projected five, if I remember correctly, so there will be some waiting involved, and like the Rothfuss series, the verdict is not out on the series as a whole.  At least where I'm concerned.

Once I finish up this reading of WLW I'll probably dip into the most recent Joe Abercrombie book (RED COUNTRY).  In my experience, he can be uneven from book to book, but his First Law series is satisfying.  He's a fun blogger to read as well; like Rothfuss but with an ironic and self-referential sense of humor.

I'm considering starting into a book by Cathrynne Valente (DEATHLESS).  Anyone have experience with her books?  She's one that RSB linked to on TPB - a pretty great short story.  Be sure to block out some time for it, it'll be hard to stop reading:

http://www.apex-magazine.com/the-bread-we-eat-in-dreams/

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:51 am »
Quote from: Meyna
I'm halfway through Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book #2) at the moment. This series will take me a while, but I am loving it so far!

Before that I read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. It's not fantasy, strictly speaking, but I do enjoy Stephenson's writing.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:57 am »
By Stephenson I've read Snow Crash, which was good stylish fun, and Cryptonomicon, which I absolutely loved.  I got midway through Quicksilver and ran out of steam.  I liked it, but sometimes it felt self-indulgent, and I was wanting more story.  I should dig it up and try to find where I was as I'm now remembering things I quite enjoyed.

Has anyone read anything by Harold Lamb?  It was mentioned on the old forum, and I'm considering giving it a spin.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 12:41:02 am »
Do so. Real, real awesome. Bakker's omniscient war scenes remind of Homer, only until you read Lamb...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 12:41:07 am »
I've got the first of the Khlit volumes sitting on my desk.  Thanks for the recommendation!  :)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 12:41:12 am »
For sure... I should clarify I've only read his historical fictions (like Iron Men and Saints, which Bakker specifically mentions on the old forums or Emperor of All Men), not his... fictions that are historically based?