Kellhus + Anagogis = ?

• 26 Replies

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 05:57:54 pm »
I was also thinking that sorcery was akin to mathematics, as Wilshire pointed out.  I read that quote as, basically, the Gnosis is the Meta-Anagogis, the refining, expanding principle inherent in sorcery taken to the next level (i.e., arithmetic vs. calculus or trig).  Or maybe its artists (using imagery to show an effect) vs. scientists (using formulas to describe the effect).

There was a scene in the books (maybe TWP?) where Akka muses about Kelhus' potential as a Shaman, someone who uses sorcery and can heal like a prophet.  Were Shamans prophets, or prophets Shamans?  Could someone be a prophet without being a Shaman, or be a Shaman without being a prophet? Xinemus believed that prophets could heal, implying some supernatural ability (i.e., restoring sight to the blind).  Maybe at some point there was a schism where Shamans ceased to exist, when Sorcerers and prophets became separate things. So, a Sorcerer would be a false prophet (speaking only the destructive words of God), whereas a prophet can only speak the restorative words of God (heal).  Maybe Shamans were balanced and thus not damned.  Begs the question:  can Cishaurim heal?

Went on a tangent there.
No whistling on the slog!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:44:06 pm »
@ Wilthsire - I hope we do get something about pre-nonman sorcery.  Was it less potent.  Did it still damn?  Could we have an Atrocity Tale please???
I don't think I've ever seen you spell my name properly... Is it truly so terrible?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:38 pm »
@ Wilthsire - I hope we do get something about pre-nonman sorcery.  Was it less potent.  Did it still damn?  Could we have an Atrocity Tale please???
I don't think I've ever seen you spell my name properly... Is it truly so terrible?

OHDEARGOD - I swear your name looked different right after you pointed it out to me!  My sincerest apologies,

-Mr. Gravy Dork

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:25 pm »
lol there is no 't'. At first I figured it was an accident but you've done it pretty consistently. So then I thought I was missing some kind of inside joke.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 09:09:02 pm »
lol there is no 't'. At first I figured it was an accident but you've done it pretty consistently. So then I thought I was missing some kind of inside joke.

Apparently the joke was inside my own brain between two parts of me that enjoy making me look jerky to a stranger who shares my Bakker hobby.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 09:11:51 pm »
You'll have to work harder to offend the likes of me via the internet. No harm done.

Francis Buck

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 09:41:47 pm »
You'll have to work harder to offend the likes of me via the internet. No harm done.

That's alright, I've noticed at least two examples of Madness calling me Wilshire and calling you FB.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 11:05:13 pm »

That's alright, I've noticed at least two examples of Madness calling me Wilshire and calling you FB.

I've never called FB you nor accused him of being Wilshire... Common' ;).

Time (between novels) has made me Erratic.

EDIT:

Xinemus believed that prophets could heal, implying some supernatural ability (i.e., restoring sight to the blind).  Maybe at some point there was a schism where Shamans ceased to exist, when Sorcerers and prophets became separate things. So, a Sorcerer would be a false prophet (speaking only the destructive words of God), whereas a prophet can only speak the restorative words of God (heal).  Maybe Shamans were balanced and thus not damned.  Begs the question:  can Cishaurim heal?

I don't know specifically about the bold.

But there is a story in PON about Sejenus returning the criminal Horomon's sight. This is why I think Kellhus being unable to heal Xinemus is the most Damning (yay, puns) evidence against his righteousness.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:09:21 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35:51 am »
Whats the LOTR things about true Kings having healing hands? Kellhus is not our fantasy genre righteous-divine  King.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 02:16:36 am »

I've never called FB you nor accused him of being Wilshire... Common' ;).

Time (between novels) has made me Erratic.

EDIT:

Xinemus believed that prophets could heal, implying some supernatural ability (i.e., restoring sight to the blind).  Maybe at some point there was a schism where Shamans ceased to exist, when Sorcerers and prophets became separate things. So, a Sorcerer would be a false prophet (speaking only the destructive words of God), whereas a prophet can only speak the restorative words of God (heal).  Maybe Shamans were balanced and thus not damned.  Begs the question:  can Cishaurim heal?

I don't know specifically about the bold.

But there is a story in PON about Sejenus returning the criminal Horomon's sight. This is why I think Kellhus being unable to heal Xinemus is the most Damning (yay, puns) evidence against his righteousness.

Well, you got me thinking: what if Kellhus DID have the power and was merely shocked by Akka's presumption?  Restoring sight to the blind in TUC (perhaps Proyas?) would seal the deal for Kellhus to be worthy of worship.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 12:53:11 pm »
Lol - for the reader? I think Kellhus has mostly won over his world.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 04:43:57 pm »
Lol - for the reader? I think Kellhus has mostly won over his world.

Maybe for the reader and/or some kind of higher level of devotion.

Can't think of where else to write this, but I really want to see a scene where Kellhus is conducting a concert of sorcery via possession.  At the crucial moment, he 'seizes' control of hundreds of sorcerers and has them do some never before dreamt of bit of harmony magic.  Ark lifts off the ground, flung into space!

Maybe if he can just use the NG to get all of the critters in the Ark, he can just boil it from the outside.