What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:25 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Quote from: sciborg2
ETA: I do wonder, if paradox leads to consciousness and consciousness is the God, what makes the No-God what it is?
The space between gods?

I still think of the no god as rather like the death of thought - like light condensing at the event horizon of a black hole - you see what light escapes. The 'What do you see?' is just the part that escapes.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:32 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Quote from: sciborg2
ETA: I do wonder, if paradox leads to consciousness and consciousness is the God, what makes the No-God what it is?
The space between gods?
How does this dialectic of yours hold up if consciousness is illusion as Bakker so often posits in his rantings and ramblings?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:40 pm »
Well I dunno - how is thought paired inextricably with conciousness? I've watched dogs asleep, but dreaming (run twitches, muted barks - pursuing something in their mind only). I'd call that thought?

So say you can have thoughts without conciousness - the no god is kinda like an elephant graveyard for thoughts...from gods.

As one idea, anyway.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:47 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
I still think of the no god as rather like the death of thought - like light condensing at the event horizon of a black hole - you see what light escapes. The 'What do you see?' is just the part that escapes.
I like this idea, if only because the idea of the No-God's desperate inquiries being meaningless and reflexive, because it's not even aware it's asking them, being fairly creepy.

I like the Soul of the Ark idea too, but it can't be true. The Gods are blind to the No-God precisely because they cannot perceive an intellect without a soul.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:54 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
I like the Soul of the Ark idea too, but it can't be true. The Gods are blind to the No-God precisely because they cannot perceive an intellect without a soul.

If War is Intellect does War have a soul?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2013, 07:03:02 pm »
If War is Intellect does War have a soul?
It's more a question of how many?  :twisted:

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2013, 07:03:09 pm »
I thought there was a 'What is the No God' thread but can't find it now. Thought I'd log this clue dat wuz found.

AD

So is “tell me what you see?” a “reflective blurt” or a system requiring external self-referential information, no longer internally modellable, for utilitarian purposes?
rsbakker

Shrewd, AD. Very shrewd.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2013, 07:03:16 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
http://secondapocalypse.forumer.com/what-is-the-no-god-t1188754.html

As of this post it looks like you where actually the last one to post on that thread.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2013, 07:03:24 pm »
Yeah, that seems the one! Perhaps a mod could attach the first post here to that thread?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2013, 07:03:31 pm »
Quote from: sologdin
perhaps an inventory of all relevant passages would be good?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2013, 07:05:45 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
That would would be interesting. Though first someone would need to take the 66 posts that are currently there, move them around and summarize the different parts of each current theory. That way there wouldnt be a need to scroll and scroll through the pages looking to make sure not to cover something already discussed. Would be sweet though.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2013, 07:05:53 pm »
Quote from: Church
let's do a no god mind map! - a 'no mind' map if you will

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2013, 07:06:01 pm »
Quote from: sologdin
some sources & analogues:

herbert--
(click to show/hide)

clarke--

(click to show/hide)

adams--

(click to show/hide)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
Not sure I need spoilers -

With the Adams example, it's funny how thought can appear plausible without history.

I mean, how does the whale think, form those thoughts/words, without a history?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2013, 07:06:15 pm »
Quote from: Truth Shines
Another speculation on the No-God, advanced apologies if this has been voiced already.  Also, my thoughts are very vague at this point.

So: The Indigo Plague.

Here's the entry in the Encyclopedic Glossary: According to legend, the pestilence swept up from the No-God's ashes after his destruction...  Mandate scholars dispute this...  Whatever the cause, the Indigo Plague ranks as among the worst in recorded history.

This could be nothing.  Merely another bloody footnote in the history of the First Apocalypse that Bakker added for effect.  But let's suppose it's not merely ornamental, but a clue; further, let's suppose the Mandate are wrong.  What do we have then?

First, the plague cannot be a microparasite (a la malaria-causing Plasmodium) or a bacterium, or my theory won't work.  It has to be a virus.  What then is a virus?  It is as close as you can get to a physical manifestation of the normally abstract concept of "information."  It is made up mostly of a piece of floating DNA or RNA with a few minor protein attachments.  It literally can do nothing by itself -- no metabolism, no reproduction, except seeking to take over the cellular machinery of other organisms to replicate more of itself -- the self-copying piece of information.  Hmm.  Something about this reminds me of the infamous "Inverse Fire"...

So the No-God may not be some manifestation of "soul" (at least not in its more abstract and perhaps religiously-inclined connotations), but rather some strange manifestation of biological information?  It certainly fits with the "Tekne" aspect of the Inchoroi and Consult.  The ultimate genetic engineering project?

Like I said at the beginning, my thoughts are rather jumbled and inchoate at this point.  If someone else wants to take a crack at it and try to elaborate it, you are more than welcome.  :)